Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > KOReader

Notices

Old 08-16-2022, 07:45 AM   #1
rogerty
rogerty began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo glo hd
GOOD english-spanish dictionary for koreader

Hi,

The English <-> Spanish dictionary that comes with koreader (I'm using it in a Kobo Glo HD e-reader) is very simple, too bad, and the definitions are worse than asking a preschool child.

Where can I find a BETTER dictionary for KOREADER ? I understand that the format must be in stardict, but I was not able to find anything googling for some hours...

Also, if there'd be other dictionary in other formats that can be converted to stardict, it would be useful too, but I also don't know nothing about it.

The last option could be to make koreader go to wordreference to search the word there... is it possible ? Because "downloading" wordreference spanish-english dictionary seems impossible...

Thanks in advance,

Roger

Last edited by rogerty; 08-16-2022 at 07:59 AM.
rogerty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2022, 01:38 PM   #2
Frenzie
Wizard
Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
You could give https://www.wikdict.com/ a try (via https://github.com/koreader/koreader/issues/9037).
Frenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2022, 01:41 PM   #3
pazos
cosiñeiro
pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BQ Cervantes 4
Hi.

First of all: check your facts. There are not bundled dictionaries. You've installed one yourself or you downloaded one inside the app. If the former then: who knows?, if the later then please specify which one of the downloaded dicts is "worse than asking a preschool child" and give a few examples.

If you're correct then we might want to remove that specific dictionary from the list. I can review your examples as I'm native spanish speaker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerty View Post
Hi,

Where can I find a BETTER dictionary for KOREADER ? I understand that the format must be in stardict, but I was not able to find anything googling for some hours...

Roger
That's a very good question. If you find one that's either on the public domain either copyrighted with a free license (MIT/GPL/BSD) please provide feedback so we can add it to the download list (maybe replacing the old one?)

Quote:
Also, if there'd be other dictionary in other formats that can be converted to stardict, it would be useful too, but I also don't know nothing about it.
You can use https://github.com/ilius/pyglossary to convert between multiple dict formats.

Quote:
The last option could be to make koreader go to wordreference to search the word there... is it possible ? Because "downloading" wordreference spanish-english dictionary seems impossible...
Not possible. AFAIK wordreference is english only, not es-en/en-es. If you're looking for good free monolingual dicts (with good format too) then have a look at https://github.com/BoboTiG/ebook-reader-dict/releases
pazos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2022, 01:43 PM   #4
Frenzie
Wizard
Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by pazos View Post

Not possible. AFAIK wordreference is english only, not es-en/en-es. If you're looking for good free monolingual dicts (with good format too) then have a look at https://github.com/BoboTiG/ebook-reader-dict/releases
Btw, I don't know about the Spanish one, but the French Wiktionary for example is also a pretty decent French-Latin/French-English dictionary.
Frenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2022, 03:07 PM   #5
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Matthias Buchmeier offers several Wiktionary-based DING dictionaries (without inflections) for download.
To generate a StarDict dictionary, user will need to save the entries for each letter as text files, concatenate them and replace the :: separators with tabs.

According to Buchmeier, the EN-ES dictionary contains 73859 English glosses and 94926 Spanish translations.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dictionary, english, koreader, spanish, stardict