Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 07-19-2013, 06:07 PM   #1
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Google Play Books expanding further in Europe

If you had any doubts that Google isn't serious about its e-book business, doubt no longer. Quietly and unstoppable, the company just added the following European countries to their ever growing list of countries where e-books can be bought through the Google Play store.
  • Denmark
  • Czech Republic
  • Finland
  • Greece
  • Hungary
  • Netherlands
  • Poland
  • Romania
  • Sweden

Yes, my feelings are slightly hurt by the fact that Switzerland is not on that list, just yet. But I keep my hopes up.

Via Android Police
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 11:02 AM   #2
jmilica
Banned
jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle KB, Kindle PW
They are really going big and they are having rather competitive prices
These are the countries where they sell books for now:
Quote:
Australia, Austria, Belgium, Brazil, Canada, Czech Republic, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, India, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Mexico, Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Romania, South Korea, Spain, Russia, United Kingdom, United States
https://support.google.com/googlepla.../2843119?hl=en
Seems they forgot to add Sweden

Although they have improved the India store, they lack behind Amazon in promotion - you can find the books much cheaper than on Amazon US or Amazon India store, but only if you search for them.
They do have lists of discounted books, but they don't list all of them...
Go Google!
jmilica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 04:50 AM   #3
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Turcic View Post
If you had any doubts that Google isn't serious about its e-book business, doubt no longer. Quietly and unstoppable, the company just added the following European countries to their ever growing list of countries where e-books can be bought through the Google Play store.
  • Denmark
  • Czech Republic
  • Finland
  • Greece
  • Hungary
  • Netherlands
  • Poland
  • Romania
  • Sweden

Yes, my feelings are slightly hurt by the fact that Switzerland is not on that list, just yet. But I keep my hopes up.

Via Android Police
Ahh, the price of neutrality, Sweden barely made it. I think it is a EU thing. Negotiating licenses and whatnot.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 03:15 PM   #4
corroonb
Addict
corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kobo Aura, Nexus 9
What sort of DRM are they using? If I can't remove it, I'm not buying anything from them.
corroonb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 03:23 PM   #5
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
good old adept. Or no drm at all.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 09:55 AM   #6
jmilica
Banned
jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle KB, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by corroonb View Post
What sort of DRM are they using? If I can't remove it, I'm not buying anything from them.
It's the publishers who use DRM, not Google.
They sell epub and pdf, download of epub with ADE (using Adobe's ACS4 DRM), same like Kobo.
jmilica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 07:10 AM   #7
owly
Guru
owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 2, Kobo Aura H2O
Great! And oh looky they have some SF Gateway books for only 29 Kr. ($ 4.50)

Last edited by owly; 07-23-2013 at 07:18 AM.
owly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 06:38 PM   #8
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Nice. I've looked up a few titles, and it seems that they are cheaper than Kobo. The books I found all cost €6.04 at Kobo, but they where €4.96 at Google Play. It an 18% difference, which is significant.

Found another series of books.
Kobo: €8.09 (entire series: €80.90)
Google: €6.49 (entire series: €64.90)
Difference: 20%

I think that Google Play may be or become a good replacement for BooksOnBoard for me.

Last edited by Katsunami; 07-23-2013 at 06:40 PM.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 09:45 AM   #9
citac
Fanatic
citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lenovo Yoga Tab 2 (Android)
Nice! Here's hoping that my little corner of the world will be included as well (though I doubt it will be done any time soon).
citac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 11:21 AM   #10
Marx
Marx began at the beginning.

Device: Android phone
Does anybody know how to search in gp by language?
Marx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 08:11 PM   #11
Andrew H.
Grand Master of Flowers
Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle 3 (aka Keyboard), iPhone, iPad 3 (not for reading)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
Ahh, the price of neutrality, Sweden barely made it. I think it is a EU thing. Negotiating licenses and whatnot.
Are these all countries without fixed price laws?
Andrew H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 03:00 PM   #12
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew H. View Post
Are these all countries without fixed price laws?
Switzerland is without fixed price laws for books. In 2012, the Swiss people voted against it.
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote