Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 08-08-2010, 12:27 PM   #1
deckoff
deckoff began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
nook possible buyer question

1) Multi language support - I need Cyrillic alphabet support. Does Nook provide it?
2)Can I upload books from my PC using USB cable?
3) I am outside the us - can I order it?
deckoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 03:22 PM   #2
geertm
Guru
geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by deckoff View Post
1) Multi language support - I need Cyrillic alphabet support. Does Nook provide it?
2)Can I upload books from my PC using USB cable?
3) I am outside the us - can I order it?
1) The Nook itself not. I believe that if the font is included in the ePub file it should work. But I am not sure. Perhaps someone else can tell you more about this.

2) Yes, the Nook shows up as a drive letter on your PC.

3) The Nook is only shipped to US addresses. You need a mail forwarding address from a site like Borderlinx or USunlocked.
You have to register your B&N account with this US address as shipping and billing address of your account (this is also needed to buy books).
To buy something at the B&N website you need a US ip-address. You can use a VPN like Hotspot Shield (free) or alwaysVPN ($8.50).
Before you buy the Nook (and do not forget to also buy a cover) you have to start the VPN. Than you can buy the Nook.
Using the VPN you can also buy books the same way.

It could be that you get an e-mail to contact B&N to complete the order. This is because the B&N system notices that a lot of Nooks have shipped to this address. Just phone (I believe you can also mail them) them and tell them this is a mail forwarding address and that you know that you cannot buy books outside the US.

If you register your Nook using Wifi you can download the books you bought to the Nook using Wifi. You can also use Wifi to update the Nook software.
geertm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-09-2010, 02:48 AM   #3
deckoff
deckoff began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
thanx
deckoff is offline   Reply With Quote