Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 03-28-2010, 10:40 PM   #1
bthoven
Evangelist
bthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
pdfmanipulate-split and merge, why deleted pages come back?

Hi,

I have a pdf file which has two pages per one pdf page. I use freeware papercrop software to re-arrange it to one page per one pdf page; however, the output file also has some blank pages in several places (papercrop did automate the crop, and some margins are also cropped and included in the output file).

In order to get rid of all those blank pages, I have to split the pdf (output from papercrop) file into several files, by pdfmanipulate split command line, by excluding those blank pages. I then use pdfmanipulate merge to merge those selected pages into one file. To my surprise, this is what I found:

1. the output file from pdfmanipulate merge is twice bigger than the output from papercrop (should it be smaller due to excluding those blank pages?).
2. all the blank pages come back into the merge file, in the same places in the document.

I'm not sure what I may did wrong.
bthoven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 05:08 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Hard to say, maybe user_none, who wrote pdfmanipulate will be along to help. In the meantime, I suggest trying to split a couple of pages and recombine them, see if that works as expected. If it does, then you know that most likely something was wrong with your original attempt and we can try to figure out what.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-29-2010, 06:06 AM   #3
bthoven
Evangelist
bthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enough

Thanks Kovid..Sorry it was my fault because when I issued command

pdfmanipulate split input.pdf 1-1 4-5 9-10 12-75 78-84

the first output file has not only first page, it has the whole book!.

So I have no choice but to specify 1-2 instead of 1-1 for the first split file.

Last edited by bthoven; 03-29-2010 at 06:21 AM.
Old 03-29-2010, 06:13 AM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
And when you recombine these you get blank pages between them?
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 06:30 AM   #5
bthoven
Evangelist

Sorry Kovid...I edit my answer before seeing your next reply.

The problem with my split was the 1-1 parameter which pull the whole book in one of the split file.
Advert