Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 06-10-2009, 07:40 PM   #1
katysax
Enthusiast
katysax doesn't litterkatysax doesn't litterkatysax doesn't litter

Device: Kindle2, Kindle DX, prs 505
Cutting Books

I want to convert some of my library of books that are not available for purchase in ebook format into ebooks. So, I've been cutting the binding with a box knife, feeding the pages into a dual sided fujitsu scanner and using Acrobat to combine the files into a single book. This method makes a pdf version of a book very easily. But the hardest part is cutting the book.

What is the best method and tools for cutting paper back books for scanning?
katysax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 08:15 AM   #2
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
If it's a paperback, it can usually be debound by applying some heat to the spine which softens or melts the glue. There are many approaches: oven, iron, microwave or a hairdryer.
I think I've also heard Kinko's can strip the spine for you, if you have one nearby.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-11-2009, 08:19 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
If you have a local printer, they will generally cut it for you with their guillotine for a nominal fee.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 08:54 AM   #4
mdibella
Groupie
mdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheese

Device: Infinite Kindles, Occasional Sony's
I use a large exacto knife and a metal ruler. Not subtle, but it works fine.
mdibella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 10:46 AM   #5
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Originally Posted by katysax View Post
What is the best method and tools for cutting paper back books for scanning?
I'm not sure it's the best method, but I used a 12" miter saw to cut two books. The total time took about 25 min, time to cut took 2min per book.

The cuts where straight so the actual scanning process was great, no skewed images or jammed leafs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by igorsk View Post
If it's a paperback, it can usually be debound by applying some heat to the spine which softens or melts the glue.
Great idea, how long does this process take.

Quote:
Originally Posted by igorsk View Post
I think I've also heard Kinko's can strip the spine for you, if you have one nearby.
I had some flyers cut at kinko's it was $1.25, I wasn't sure they would cut books this might be the best solution.

=X=

Last edited by =X=; 06-11-2009 at 10:48 AM. Reason: wiki tags only work for mobiread wiki
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-11-2009, 02:23 PM   #6
Blackguard
Enthusiast
Blackguard began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Yes by all means take it to Kinkos and let them cut the spine. I've done it with several large textbooks and it's taken less than 5 minutes and less than 3 dollars each time I've had it done.
Blackguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 06:41 PM   #7
katysax
Enthusiast

Thanks I checked out the local Office Max and they said they would cut the spine for $1.09. Even a couple bucks is worth it. Cutting by hand is a pain. The actual scanning is easy and quick but the cutting the books without the right tools is too hard. An exacto knife is too much work.
Old 06-11-2009, 07:42 PM   #8
Cabe
Connoisseur
Cabe has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Cabe has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Cabe has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Cabe has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Cabe has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPhone
Cabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 06:14 PM   #9
Gideon
Wearer of Pants
Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Amazon Kindle DX / iPhone
They can also rebind the book for a pretty nominal cost. Not with the original binding, but still...

I took something in today. Now that I have a DX, its worth my time to scan some things.
Gideon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 06:41 PM   #10
ahi
Wizard
ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gideon View Post
Now that I have a DX, its worth my time to scan some things.
Did the extreme weather condition turn out to be a doughnut shop on the way?

- Ahi
ahi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 08:50 PM   #11
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdibella View Post
I use a large exacto knife and a metal ruler. Not subtle, but it works fine.
That is also my method. I find that with a bit of pressure I can go through several pages at a time. Of course, I don't have a Kinko's anywhere near me, and it's not worth the $20 in gas it would take to get to one.

I hesitate to put things in the microwave simply because I've managed to destroy so much stuff in there.
RickyMaveety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 08:55 PM   #12
Gideon
Wearer of Pants
Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Amazon Kindle DX / iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahi View Post
Did the extreme weather condition turn out to be a doughnut shop on the way?

- Ahi
I have no earthly idea what it was. But that is my guess, yeah.

The book I took was actually the Bicameral Mind book.. I'm scanning it right now! Almost done!
Gideon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 12:31 AM   #13
Linus
Nameless Being

Ugh! I worked for a printing company a few years ago. You guys bring back some bad memories of all the books we had to scan. At least my department got $60 per hour to cut the spine, scan and format (OCR).

My advice. Look into a used Xerox digipath system. I good cutter can be used for the spice. Do not try to melt the glue in a perfect bound book. The temperaures used to melt that glue are high, and the damamge it will do to your scanner is more than you can imagine.

My advice. Read your books and pass them on to others and don't worry about the scanning unless they are really valuable to you.
Old 06-15-2009, 03:08 AM   #14
Andybaby
Wizard
Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linus View Post
Ugh! I worked for a printing company a few years ago. You guys bring back some bad memories of all the books we had to scan. At least my department got $60 per hour to cut the spine, scan and format (OCR).

My advice. Look into a used Xerox digipath system. I good cutter can be used for the spice. Do not try to melt the glue in a perfect bound book. The temperaures used to melt that glue are high, and the damamge it will do to your scanner is more than you can imagine.

My advice. Read your books and pass them on to others and don't worry about the scanning unless they are really valuable to you.
I'm available for cutting and scanning books for $60 an hour. I'm quiet and I do my work
Andybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 12:31 PM   #15
katysax
Enthusiast

The scanning is the easy part. The Fujitsu S1500 scanner does dual sided scanning with ease, and its paper handling is fantastic. It will take sheets of different sizes and cuts and even raggedly cut and handle them perfectly. It is also very fast and very compact. The "hard" part is cutting the books.