Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-28-2008, 02:23 PM   #1
Dylrob
Murderous Mustela
Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad M1 Pro, Kindle Paperwhite
EInk shows off their latest developer's kit [video]

I thought people might find this interesting. The new chip clearly makes eInk more versatile:

Dylrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 02:38 PM   #2
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylrob View Post
I thought people might find this interesting. The new chip clearly makes eInk more versatile:
Nice... Who will put out a device with the hardware in it first? I am guessing it will be Kindle v2.0. If so, I will be first in line to buy one.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-28-2008, 02:53 PM   #3
athlonkmf
Guru
athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3, Sony PRS350, iPad 64GB
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Nice... Who will put out a device with the hardware in it first? I am guessing it will be Kindle v2.0. If so, I will be first in line to buy one.

BOb
They say it's the epson controller, it has touchsensitive screen
so that seems to me that the Sony prs700 is the first "prototype"? It has the epson controller, is noted to be fast and has touchscreen. Hmm...
athlonkmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 02:55 PM   #4
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by athlonkmf View Post
so that seems to me that the Sony prs700 is the first "prototype"? It has the epson controller, is noted to be fast and has touchscreen. Hmm...
Ah... maybe that is true. I didn't see the ability to write with the stylus on the 700. But perhaps you can and Sony just didn't expose this. Would be a nice little note taking machine if you can do that. But, Sony has just shown on screen keyboard thus far to take notes.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 03:11 PM   #5
Dave Berk
Fanatic
Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.

Device: PRS505
Sony also isn't as fast as that prototype. Look at that movie. That's some very fast page turns right there...
Dave Berk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-28-2008, 03:14 PM   #6
Roamor
Roamor began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS700
With refreshtimes like that, browsing the Net is not that far off I recon.

I hope it will make it into the Sony, but seeing it's just a developers kit; it will take some more time to make it into production?
Roamor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 06:33 PM   #7
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
According to LVD of lBook, PVI promises to start delivery of screens with 3rd generation film in 6 weeks. Price stays the same but they need Epson controller. So I guess it's likely Sony will switch PRS700 to the new screens but probably not on the initial units (would suck for me but oh well).
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 06:42 PM   #8
Dave Berk
Fanatic
Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.

Do the new screens offer any better contrast?
Old 10-28-2008, 07:00 PM   #9
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
He says they're much whiter and have 16 gray levels.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 07:10 PM   #10
Dave Berk
Fanatic

I'd like to see it on a PRS700. But I'm not sure it would be much help. PRS700 seems to be cursed . Even with the same screen as the 505 it looks worse.
Old 10-28-2008, 07:55 PM   #11
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by athlonkmf View Post
I thought I read that the Sony PRS-700 has a Sony-developed controller.

In any case, the E-Ink touch screen in the video is Wacom (like iRex has), not PVI's Touch EPD which is used on the Sony. Wacom needs a special stylus, Touch EPD can use a finger or any stylus.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 02:04 AM   #12
SaraD
Groupie
SaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with others

Device: Sony 650, Basic Kindle 7th generation
Did the moving advertisement in the video clip remind anybody else of the magic pictures in wizards' newspaper from the Harry Potter movies?

So far my husband has been mostly amused by my interest in e-book readers though he does like and understand the concept. After seeing the video clip, however, he is actually a little excited about me having one. He already knows it is "when" not "if" I get one and asked questions tonight about the reading I'm doing about format conversion tools. It would be just a little bit better if he actually enjoyed reading instead of seeing it as merely necessary.
SaraD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 02:31 AM   #13
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
Yes! Glad I wasn't alone in that.

This whole kit looks great! I'm tempted to get one just to play.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 04:55 AM   #14
Gaurnim
Final Five n°42
Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Your comments really motivated me to see this video, but it seems it's no longer available at Youtube ...

Last edited by Gaurnim; 10-29-2008 at 09:14 AM.
Gaurnim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 04:59 AM   #15
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaurnim View Post
Your comments really motivated me to see this video, but it seems it's no longer available at Youtube ... :sa:
Yes, it's still there. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3n2xxqMQyfY
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote