Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Fictionwise eBookwise

Notices

Old 12-07-2007, 12:48 AM   #1
mrsp
Connoisseur
mrsp began at the beginning.

Device: palm T2
where did the ebay guy go???

After weeks and months of deliberation and being thoroughly disappointed by all the new devices, I was just on the verge of committing and buying an ebookwise 1150 from ebay to tide me over until the e-ink devices get it together.

I went to ebay and I cannot find any mention of them anywhere - all my searches come up blank. I was on there yesterday and they were even on sale.

Can anyone find them on ebay? If not, do you think it means something (like he's sold out and ETI are going to announce a new reader or like he's sold out and retiring leaving us overseas people with one less reader to choose from?)

I'm so disappointed (again!!!!) AND can't find a crying smilie to express myself...

Last edited by mrsp; 12-10-2007 at 06:46 PM. Reason: removed sad face as post no longer sad
mrsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 02:24 AM   #2
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Found this one with "Auction ended early with Buy It Now."

http://cgi.ebay.com/eBookwise-1150-e...QQcmdZViewItem

It went for $112; they're going for $129.95 on the eBookwise site:
http://www.ebookwise.com/ebookwise/ebookwise1150.htm

There are a couple of crying smilies (contradiction in terms?).

Bring up the "More" panel, hit Ctrl-F and enter "cry" as the search term:

Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-07-2007, 02:45 AM   #3
mrsp
Connoisseur

Hey thanks Sparrow

When I read more closely (I couldn't even find this link on my own) , they only had 12 left in stock but are getting another shipment on Dec 10 - I guess this is why there is no more current listings. I have emailed them to find out...
Old 12-07-2007, 11:06 AM   #4
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Is there some reason you don't want to buy straight from eboowise, mrsp? I think they're running a sale at the moment: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16896
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 11:49 AM   #5
silvania
Enthusiast
silvania has a spectacular aura aboutsilvania has a spectacular aura aboutsilvania has a spectacular aura aboutsilvania has a spectacular aura aboutsilvania has a spectacular aura aboutsilvania has a spectacular aura aboutsilvania has a spectacular aura aboutsilvania has a spectacular aura aboutsilvania has a spectacular aura aboutsilvania has a spectacular aura aboutsilvania has a spectacular aura about

Device: palm
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsp View Post
Hey thanks Sparrow

When I read more closely (I couldn't even find this link on my own) , they only had 12 left in stock but are getting another shipment on Dec 10 - I guess this is why there is no more current listings. I have emailed them to find out...
Apparently the shortage of kindles has caused a run on ebw-1150's
silvania is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-07-2007, 11:54 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Not only Kindles, of course; you can't buy a CyBook Gen3 for either love or money at the moment.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 06:01 PM   #7
mrsp
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh View Post
Is there some reason you don't want to buy straight from eboowise, mrsp? I think they're running a sale at the moment: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16896
yeah - they won't let me because I am in Australia and, as usual, they won't ship outside the US
Old 12-07-2007, 07:03 PM   #8
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Ah, I wondered if it might be something like that.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 08:26 PM   #9
kjn24
Enthusiast
kjn24 began at the beginning.

Device: eBookwise
The ebay seller I bought from is "kascarlett", and she has two listed in her auctions - I think her real name is Barbara something. If you still have trouble finding her let me know, and I'll link you to the auctions. I had a great experience with her - she knew how anxious I was, and went out in a Jersey thunderstorm on a Saturday to put mine in the mail.
Kathy
kjn24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 04:45 AM   #10
mrsp
Connoisseur

Well I haven't had a response to my email yet but the auction seems to be back up so I've put in my order....looks like I finally made a decision :-)
Old 12-08-2007, 04:58 AM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsp View Post
yeah - they won't let me because I am in Australia and, as usual, they won't ship outside the US
Someone in the UK said on another thread that they'd been able to buy from eBookwise by agreeing to forego the warranty. The issue is that the eb has a 110v only power supply, so you need to get a voltage converter to use it in those parts of the world like Europe and Australia which have 230/240v electricity.

EDIT: Just found the post; see:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...8&postcount=23
Old 12-08-2007, 05:25 AM   #12
mrsp
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Someone in the UK said on another thread that they'd been able to buy from eBookwise by agreeing to forego the warranty. The issue is that the eb has a 110v only power supply, so you need to get a voltage converter to use it in those parts of the world like Europe and Australia which have 230/240v electricity.

EDIT: Just found the post; see:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...8&postcount=23
that's exactly right but you buy the device from the ebay seller (even that poster did that) and agree with her to forego the warranty. You can buy books direct from ebookwise with no problems afterwards.

I once contacted the ebay seller before for info (and have stupidly lost it) but it explained in detail the type of converter to buy and so I'm not too worried about that part.

In one of the discussion posts following Dear Author's review of ebook readers, it is suggested that the ebay seller is actually related to the people that run ebookwise.
Old 12-08-2007, 05:28 AM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Ah, thank you for the clarification. Sorry - I thought that the poster referred to had bought directly from eBookWise.
Old 12-08-2007, 05:49 PM   #14
mrsp
Connoisseur

Got It!!

Just wanted to say a big to everyone for their help - I found the auction and put in a buy it now order for $112. There was a discount on the shipping as part of the Christmas sale so it was only $35 so all up its $147 or $171.97 in Australian dollars.

It will be shipped on Monday US time and should take about 5 days to get here which will probably work out to be Monday week local time.

again
Old 12-09-2007, 05:42 AM   #15
Gamesteacher
Gamesteacher began at the beginning.

Device: ebookwise 1150
voltage converter

I live in Korea and bought my ebook reader from ebookwise by having it mailed to a friend in Canada who then forwarded it on to me. I use a voltage converter to run all of my 110 appliances as Korea uses 220.

On the Fictionwise@yahoogroups.com newsgroup, Dale and Robert posted about a small converter that can be plugged into 110 or 220:
"You can get one from www.millionbuy. com for $4.95 Do a search for Coby CA-44 I bought one as a backup from them, works great."
You may want to find someone in the US who can receive and then forward it to you because the shipping cost is quite high otherwise. That is what I will be doing so I can take it with me while travelling.

Pat
Gamesteacher is offline   Reply With Quote