Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-30-2012, 03:17 PM   #1
sadievan
Wizard
sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, iPhone, Kindle Fire HD 6
KF8

Is there a way to tell if a book is in KF8 format?

Carol
sadievan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 03:48 PM   #2
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
A quick and dirty way of telling is to open it in Kindle for PC/Mac. KF8 files currently only support single column mode when reading. So if you try to change the Kindle App to multi-column/page mode and nothing changes (it's still one column/page)... chances are it's in the KF8 format.

I don't know if that will always be the case, though. I suspect the apps will eventually support reading KF8's in multi-column mode. There is script floating around Dump_headers.py (or something similar) that will spit out the details of mobi files, but I can't seem to find it right now to post a link.

Also, anything with drop-caps or non-standard fonts could be a dead giveaway... but it could also be a Topaz book.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 03-30-2012 at 03:50 PM.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-30-2012, 04:51 PM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Another way is to simply try to open it on a device or reader which doesn't support KF8 (eg the Windows Mobipocket Reader). If it won't open it, it's probably KF8.

If you're asking whether there's any way to know if it's KF8 before you buy it, though, I don't think there is.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 05:10 PM   #4
sadievan
Wizard
sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
A quick and dirty way of telling is to open it in Kindle for PC/Mac. KF8 files currently only support single column mode when reading. So if you try to change the Kindle App to multi-column/page mode and nothing changes (it's still one column/page)... chances are it's in the KF8 format.

I don't know if that will always be the case, though. I suspect the apps will eventually support reading KF8's in multi-column mode. There is script floating around Dump_headers.py (or something similar) that will spit out the details of mobi files, but I can't seem to find it right now to post a link.

Also, anything with drop-caps or non-standard fonts could be a dead giveaway... but it could also be a Topaz book.
Thanks D. Do you know if there is any way to tell before buying a book?

Carol
Old 03-30-2012, 05:11 PM   #5
sadievan
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Another way is to simply try to open it on a device or reader which doesn't support KF8 (eg the Windows Mobipocket Reader). If it won't open it, it's probably KF8.

If you're asking whether there's any way to know if it's KF8 before you buy it, though, I don't think there is.
Thanks Harry

Carol
Advert
Old 03-30-2012, 05:25 PM   #6
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I believe the free samples (at least some) will be in the KF8 format as well. Same single-column-only rule should apply. But I've not tested that myself.

Just know that a KF8 file will only ever be downloaded to devices/apps that support it.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 05:40 PM   #7
sadievan
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I believe the free samples (at least some) will be in the KF8 format as well. Same single-column-only rule should apply. But I've not tested that myself.

Just know that a KF8 file will only ever be downloaded to devices/apps that support it.
Thanks. Forgot about the free samples.

Carol