Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 07-17-2012, 08:07 AM   #436
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loko_bielsa View Post
1. Sorry for the 2 post, i dont know that.
2. I followed your steps, and the black screen has not changed. But sometimes appeared low battery icon in fastboot mode. Then look in the Diagnostic mode, battery option and got this:

the device battery level of 66 is acceptable shipping within The range 45-75.

Again, sorry for the double post, and I want to try anything.
I do not understand. You are saying two conflicting things here:

1) the black screen has not changed

2) Then look in the Diagnostic mode, battery option and got this

So, are are you saying here that you CAN boot to diagnostics mode?

If the problem is only with main, perhaps you have a mismatched main partition and main kernel version.

Also, in your earlier post you said "I follow this guide, but i get this black screen". What guide.

fastboot mode is not known to update the eink screen, but that low battery screen MIGHT be displayed BEFORE booting to fastboot mode (and it was probably correct). A bricked kindle can completely discharge the battery.

What did you do (exactly) just before this problem started?

The information that you supplied in these two threads is not sufficient for us to solve your problem in a specific way, but I suggest doing this:

After fully charging your battery (in fastboot mode), then try following the instructions in silver18's "small debricking guide for noobs" -- EXACTLY. It has worked for many. It should work for you.

Last edited by geekmaster; 07-17-2012 at 08:13 AM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 09:18 AM   #437
Loko_bielsa
Loko_bielsa began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle touch
1. Yes, i can enter in diags mode.

Mmm before starting the problem, I reset to factory defaults the device. Why? because he had installed some applications to gain a little space at the edges to read pdf. After that failed to start OS amazon.

Then start doukan. But I served a lot of problems with the same pdf. A little later Doukan also had problems.

I do not think electronic ink is the problem, as you say the kindle can change and display diagnostic mode. But it is also true that follow the "" small guide for noobs debricking "and I could not restore the Kindle.Before all this, had the 5.1.0 version of the Kindle. Could that be the problem?

I would like to thank you, maybe it was stupid what I did with the messages, but did not know the system. You're very generous with your time.
Loko_bielsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-17-2012, 11:15 AM   #438
geekmaster
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I do not think electronic ink is the problem, as you say the kindle can change and display diagnostic mode. But it is also true that follow the "" small guide for noobs debricking "and I could not restore the Kindle.Before all this, had the 5.1.0 version of the Kindle. Could that be the problem?

I would like to thank you, maybe it was stupid what I did with the messages, but did not know the system. You're very generous with your time.
It does not matter what firmware you started with. You should be able to flash to 5.0.0 main kernel and 5.0.0 mmcblk0p1 just like everybody else (including myself).

There are newer images (like 5.1.0 with some hacks pre-installed), but I have not tested them personally.

The thing to remember is that your kernel version must be compatible with your main partition version.

There have NOT been any reports of a kindle that could NOT be debricked, so you SHOULD be successful if you try 5.0.0 main kernel and 5.0.0 main partition, then update your firmware later after it works.
Old 07-17-2012, 12:41 PM   #439
Loko_bielsa
Loko_bielsa began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle touch
Ok boss, i will try.

Ps: I speak Spanish. If you like, I could translate the noobs guide to Spanish.

Last edited by Loko_bielsa; 07-17-2012 at 12:45 PM.
Loko_bielsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 01:43 PM   #440
geekmaster

Quote:
Ok boss, i will try.

Ps: I speak Spanish. If you like, I could translate the noobs guide to Spanish.
I am sure that silver18 would would be happy to have a Spanish version of his guide available. We could add it to the index wikis then.
Advert
Old 07-17-2012, 03:39 PM   #441
Pyrocitus
Pyrocitus began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4 Touch 5.1.0
Hi Guys,

Just finally registered an account after a couple months of lurking.

I'm having issues debricking my Kindle Touch. To make things easy i'll just give a quick step by step of exactly what i've done so far. I am using kernel-5.0.0.img and mmcblk0p2_ssh.img and attempting debrick on Windows 7 64-bit - the kindle in question is stuck on the man under the tree screen whenever it turns on and its file system is inaccessible from windows.

1) Boot kindle into fastboot mode, kindle is recognised as HID device.

2) Use MfgTool.exe, scan for devices and kindle comes up, select fastboot and hit start.

3) HID device is disconnected and a new device appears in device manager without a driver.

4) Select install manually, navigate to kindle-fastboot.inf and then this message comes up.

This is the point everything seems to have gone pear shaped. In response to this i tried using libusb inf-wizard.exe to create an inf for my kindle and it accepts that inf file and allows me to proceed with using fastboot.

5) Cmd:
fastboot.exe
fastboot flash diags mmcblk0p2_ssh.img
fastboot flash kernel kernel-5.0.0.img
fastboot setvar bootmode diags
fastboot reboot

6) Kindle reboots, sits on the man under tree screen.
Pyrocitus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 03:44 PM   #442
geekmaster

If you use the win32 fastboot, you can create your own inf file as you described. That is how I created the example one that you may have tried to use. Creating your own is better.

According to the steps that you posted:

You flashed the diags partition without a matching diags kernel.

You also flashed a main kernel without a matching main partition.

That could cause your described problems.

Now go back and flash the missing images. Then report back here.

Last edited by geekmaster; 07-17-2012 at 03:46 PM.
Old 07-17-2012, 03:49 PM   #443
Pyrocitus

I was following the steps outlined in Silver18's simple debricking guide without deviation, what point does the problem lie? I am using the 5.0.0 main kernel and the mmcblk0p2_ssh.img diag kernel.
Old 07-17-2012, 03:58 PM   #444
geekmaster

I did not see the main partition (mmcblk0p1) listed in your posts (not even the newest one). I did not see the diags kernel listed in your previous post (but you did in this one).

So it is still not clear because you left out some steps in your posts. Did you flash 5.0.0 main partition AND 5.0.0 main kernel? Did you flash 5.0.0 diags partition AND 5.0.0 diags kernel?
Old 07-17-2012, 04:33 PM   #445
Pyrocitus

Ok my apologies for not being clear before, here is what I have just done.

Main Kernel / Partition
fastboot flash kernel kernel_5.0.0.img
fastboot flash system mmcblk0p1-kt-5.0.0.img

Diag Kernel / Partition
fastboot flash diags_kernel diags_kernel.img

It is now booted into diags mode. I have enabled USBnet and have successfully logged into the device root via putty with the root password mario.

I'm a bit confused now as to what to do to get the kindle up and running. I have already flashed the 5.0.0 kernel and partition but trying to disable diags mode and reboot results in "customer partition not ready" and being kicked back to diags mode. I am still currently logged into root via putty.
Old 07-17-2012, 04:44 PM   #446
geekmaster

The first time you exit diags you need a special folder and file on the USB drive partition. You can create that automatically by running the first test on the main diags menu, or create it manually using the instructions in the K5 (touch) hacking wiki.

You also need to delete /mnt/us/ENABLE_DIAGS if you have one (another step also missing from your previous posts).
Old 07-17-2012, 04:57 PM   #447
Pyrocitus

Which test is that? There is S) Device Settings as the first option, or do you mean the literal first test, which is O) Operator test suite? There is no mention of creating a special folder and file on the USB partition on the wiki aside from

drop data.tar.gz into the root USB folder of your device.
create a file named RUNME.sh inside the root USB folder of your device

Last edited by Pyrocitus; 07-17-2012 at 05:28 PM.
Old 07-17-2012, 05:32 PM   #448
geekmaster

This step SHOULD be part of any jailbreak step as mentioned here:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho....php?p=2041719

Details are there too so you can do it manually. Also, on K4 and K5, the first diag on the main diags menu creates these files when it runs.

I thought I saw those steps in the wiki, but they are not there now...
Old 07-17-2012, 05:33 PM   #449
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrocitus View Post
Ok my apologies for not being clear before, here is what I have just done.

Main Kernel / Partition
fastboot flash kernel kernel_5.0.0.img

Diag Kernel / Partition
fastboot flash diags_kernel diags_kernel.img

It is now booted into diags mode. I have enabled USBnet and have successfully logged into the device root via putty with the root password mario.

I'm a bit confused now as to what to do to get the kindle up and running. I have already flashed the 5.0.0 kernel and partition but trying to disable diags mode and reboot results in "customer partition not ready" and being kicked back to diags mode. I am still currently logged into root via putty.
You missed the part that told how this "customer partition" is too large to flash with fastboot.
Just copy that into place following the directions to use dd and your "customer partition" should suddenly be "ready".
That step is done from right where you are now - logged into the "diags" system over putty.
Note:
The "user storage USB" partition seen over the USB cable in normal operation, is seen as /mnt/us from where you are now.

* * * * How to communicate with the non-Linux user * * * *
The Kindles are dual boot machines, Win-3.0 and WinXP -
mmcblk0p1 - Drive C: - WinXP user file system with its own kernel
mmcblk0p2 - Drive D: - Win-3.0 user file system with its own kernel
mmcblk0p3 - Drive E: - as seen from ssh /var/local (both 3.0 and XP)
mmcblk0p4 - Drive F: - as seen from ssh /mnt/us (both 3.0 and XP), Also seen from the other end of the USB cable as the "USB user storage" when things are working.

Does that translate?

Last edited by knc1; 07-17-2012 at 06:21 PM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 05:37 PM   #450
geekmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
You missed the part that told how this "customer partition" is too large to flash with fastboot.
Just copy that into place following the directions to use dd and your "customer partition" should suddenly be "ready".
Even the main boot partition is too large to flash with fastboot, so of course the multi-GB "customer partition: (the USB drive) would be too big. What instructions told you to do that? It cannot work.

I see that the "universal jailbreak" in the K5 hacking wiki shows that the data.tar.gz already creates the missing file and folder now (as I had recommended in various posts back before it did), so if you used that universal jailbreak then you do not need to create those "diagnostic logs" folder and file.

It sounds like you DAMAGED your "customer partition" by attempting to flash "something" to it with fastboot. The best you can do at this point is kill it with SSH and reboot to reformat it:

dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/mmcblk0p4 bs=4K count=1K

That will force the next reboot to format and rebuild it.

Last edited by geekmaster; 07-17-2012 at 05:39 PM.

Tags
debricking