Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 04-19-2013, 04:44 PM   #286
Ankh
Guru
Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
I've never seen an Android device that could be used to do serious work with for extended amounts of time. All of those devices are just wannahaves. People who need to get stuff done, will still buy a Windows-computer, or a Mac.
http://www.ubuntu.com/phone/ubuntu-for-android

I don't know about you, but everything that I do and qualifies as "serious work" is happening in Ubuntu virtual machine.
Ankh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 08:09 PM   #287
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
Quote:
Originally Posted by frahse View Post
Microsoft could make a lot of money as well as ensure its future by stopping all this "next stage or sea change" development.
In 2012, they were ranked fourth for corporate profit, right behind Apple. And, as previously noted, last quarter profits are up 17 percent. So they already are making an amount of money some might call obscene*. Even if their earnings experience regression to the mean compared to other tech companies, they still will be making a humongous amount of money.

Suppose that Windows 8 was Windows 7, just faster, more stable, and secure by default. The press would be even worse, with the mantra that Microsoft had given up on the future.

Microsoft cannot ensure its future. No company can, and certainly not a tech company.

Old 04-19-2013, 10:11 PM   #288
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
True, and it is hard to see how they have any major or especially any unrecoverable
loss from the perception that they may be moving away from the traditional desktop
support. I am sure that Microsoft will continue to be a major player in supplying
software, including OS support, for however any market needs it. It would be looking
at how those in the marketplace are using their computers and adjusting their product
line to meet whatever is needed. They are sure to continue support for the field they
have dominated for all these years.

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 01:20 AM   #289
theinfamousj
Groupie
theinfamousj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theinfamousj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theinfamousj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theinfamousj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theinfamousj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theinfamousj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theinfamousj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theinfamousj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theinfamousj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theinfamousj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theinfamousj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo (pink back)
Quote:
Originally Posted by taustin View Post
It is an even numbered release, and they have a reputation to maintain.

I suspect that this is really what is at the heart of it all.
theinfamousj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 01:44 AM   #290
theinfamousj
Groupie
theinfamousj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theinfamousj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theinfamousj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theinfamousj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theinfamousj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theinfamousj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theinfamousj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theinfamousj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theinfamousj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theinfamousj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theinfamousj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo (pink back)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfwreck View Post
Exactly.

If I'm going to have to learn a new OS, I might as well switch to Linux, where at least my options are customizable.
If you didn't want to learn an entirely new operating system, check out Puppy Linux. It has the feel of Win95 and much like the Hammond organ story, you will be able to get general use of it within 5 minutes. Sure, there are under-the-hood customizations you can do, but there is a built in Web browser and office suite so you can update your Facebook and write that word doc within minutes of powering on your machine.

Oh yeah, and Calibre works on it, too.
theinfamousj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 08:04 AM   #291
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon
JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Kobo Arc, HTC Desire C
Quote:
Originally Posted by theinfamousj View Post
If you didn't want to learn an entirely new operating system, check out Puppy Linux.
Most importantly, though, Puppy can be run off a thumb drive so that you don't have to install it to try it out (of course, that requires you set the boot order to USB first - which can be a pain since lots of motherboards only let you set two devices to boot from).
JD Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 08:21 AM   #292
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
I am going to have to try some of these things. I just need the time.

I thought about hooking up a tablet to my TV's usb2 port for a particular reason, but stopped because I wasn't sure how to go about it, and how long it would take and didn't want to get bogged down.

Time. Time. Time. Where do you go?
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 01:51 PM   #293
Ankh
Guru
Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by frahse View Post
Time. Time. Time. Where do you go?
Ministry of Magic, Department of Mysteries. The rumour is that not all of their time turners were smashed.
Ankh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 11:56 AM   #294
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
A few more bits on the about-face of Microsoft. Looks like the Start button will be back, but it will be next to useless as all it'll do is bring you to the Start screen; it will be totally crippled, so good news for Classic Shell and other start button replacements.

Quote:
Microsoft is preparing to revive the traditional Start button it killed with Windows 8. Sources familiar with Microsoft's plans have revealed to The Verge that Windows 8.1 will include the return of the Start button. We understand that the button will act as a method to simply access the Start Screen, and will not include the traditional Start Menu.
We will also have, apparently, a boot to desktop option.

Quote:
Microsoft's change of heart follows another recent planned change for Windows 8.1: a boot to desktop option.
Source
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 12:37 PM   #295
QuantumIguana
Philosopher
QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2 gen, Kindle Fire 1st Gen, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
A few more bits on the about-face of Microsoft. Looks like the Start button will be back, but it will be next to useless as all it'll do is bring you to the Start screen; it will be totally crippled, so good news for Classic Shell and other start button replacements.
Customers aren't going to be fooled by a crippled Start Button. Microsoft really wants to shove users to the Start Screen, and they seem to feel that if they offer a real Start Button, that users will not use the Start Screen. But if their Start Screen was so good, users would use it all on their own, without having to be herded there.
QuantumIguana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 02:15 PM   #296
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
It's not windows 8. PCs have gotten good enough that they already do way more than the average user needs. The average person only upgrades when their PC gets too slow from malware and OS rot. Tablet usage is cutting into PC usage, making upgrade even less of a priority.

I think right now, it is mostly businesses and gamers who look to upgrade their PCs on a regular basis.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 02:36 PM   #297
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ankh View Post
Ministry of Magic, Department of Mysteries. The rumour is that not all of their time turners were smashed.
From "Dark City" "Time Tuners"
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 02:38 PM   #298
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Looks like the outcry has reached Redmond.

Source
Quote:

We will also have, apparently, a boot to desktop option.

Source
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuantumIguana View Post
Customers aren't going to be fooled by a crippled Start Button. Microsoft really wants to shove users to the Start Screen, and they seem to feel that if they offer a real Start Button, that users will not use the Start Screen. But if their Start Screen was so good, users would use it all on their own, without having to be herded there.
My PC is in the process of restarting to complete installing updates. I wonder if I'll have Windows 8.1 when it completes? If so, I'll let you know what the options are.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 02:47 PM   #299
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barty View Post
It's not windows 8. PCs have gotten good enough that they already do way more than the average user needs. The average person only upgrades when their PC gets too slow from malware and OS rot. Tablet usage is cutting into PC usage, making upgrade even less of a priority.

I think right now, it is mostly businesses and gamers who look to upgrade their PCs on a regular basis.
So true. Since the time I stopped wanting to play the latest games at launch date, my PC just runs and runs and runs. The only maintenance I do is:

- Installing updates to Windows 7 (and this is an in-place upgrade from Vista)
- Run CCleaner now and again to remove temporary files
- Defragment my data disk

And that's basically all. The system is 5 years old now, and has had a few upgrades in 2011: Intel dual core E8500 -> Intel Quad Core Q8400, Raptor 74GB HDD -> 64 GB SSD, and nVidia 9600GT to GTX 560 Ti. It upgrades the PC from an upper middle-class 2007-2008 system to a (lower) middle-class 2010-2011 system. A few weeks ago, I added another hard drive, as the 1TB drive is finally getting full, thanks to me re-ripping all my music in FLAC.

It runs all games up until 2012 perfectly.

This system will retire in the configuration it is in now, and then go serve to run old games. (Where "old" is everything up until 2012.) This will probably take another 1-2 years though, if it doesn't break down. There are no new games on the near horizon or which I'd want or need a newer computer; the very first would probably be "Project Eternity" by Obsidian, slated for the end of 2014. I wouldn't be surprised if I wait half a year or even a year for the bugs to be fixed and the price to come down.

2015 will also see "Torment: Tides of Numenera", and "The Witcher 3", so, I'll probably get those in 2016 of 2017... and that's 3-4 years from now. And yes, all of them will be on GoG.com.

Last edited by Katsunami; 06-15-2013 at 02:49 PM.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 03:24 PM   #300
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
My PC is in the process of restarting to complete installing updates. I wonder if I'll have Windows 8.1 when it completes? If so, I'll let you know what the options are.
False alarm. No 8.1 yet, but according to the buzz it's due out before the end of June.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote