Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 04-24-2013, 06:41 PM   #46
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
I've only had it for about an hour. Here are some initial observations.
  • Engadget had reported that the Aura did not work with a regular USB cable. Mine worked just fine with the cord I normally use.
  • I opted to set up using the desktop.
  • I already had the Kobo desktop installed on my home computer. The desktop did not seem to know that I had a reader attached until I clicked to sync. It then indicated that it needed to update the new device first.
  • I am not a fan of the very light blue and the grey windows on the desktop. I think the lack of contrast makes doing the sign-in etc. more difficult for people with problematic vision, old eyes, cheap monitors.
  • I took my sd card from my Kobo Glo and inserted it into the Aura. The 60 books in it processed in less than a minute. Wow! Some of the covers from the card didn't show up until I turned the device off and then on again.
  • I was clumsy seating the card, and got a message that the SD card needed to be reformatted. I knew it was just a failed attempt to insert it properly so I was fine ignoring it. New people might be confused by this.
  • Joining my network was flawless.
  • I liked having only 5 books sync at setup, but I had a hard time figuring out how to do a full sync.
  • I found myself doing a lot of double/triple taps on the settings menu--particularly the go back icon in the top left. All of the tap problems I experienced may just be do to a different feel with the device. Time will tell.
  • Speaking of the top left. The home button also needed multiple taps.
  • I really dislike having to swipe to move through pages in my library and shelves. With the right and left margins set so close on this kind of page, there doesn't seem much in the way of tap room, but I really don't like swiping. Give me room to tap or something to press to go back or forward. Swiping was easy and flawless. i just don't much like doing it.
  • In the library, there is nothing to indicate that Show or Sort have menus under them. Again, confusing. The words are in italics, so maybe that is the new indicator.
  • I change light settings fairly often. I hope there was a really good reason for making it necessary to go the top menu icon to change the setting, instead of having it at the bottom of the page. It took me awhile to figure it out, btw. I initially thought I had to go to the home screen to change this. Oh, and again, nothing indicating that there were options to set the brightness level.
  • Covers that looked fine full screen for sleep and off look pretty lousy that way with the bigger screen. I changed my setting, which worked for me, but some folks won't like this.
  • FWIW, calibre did not recognize it. Not really a kobo problem, but David may have some work to do.
  • I am still getting used to holding it. It seems nice ergonomically, but I wish it were less slippery.
  • The fonts are lovely, and everything adjusts as it should.
  • The lighted screen is great. I am guessing that some of the folks who would like a smaller bottom margin are not yet seeing that some real estate is reserved for when the bottom menu is open. I know some people have said that the top line is to close to the edge in ePub books, I have not seen that.
  • I will probably keep the light on most of the time. 20% is enough to improve the contrast between the text and the background.
It seems to me that this is a step forward in some ways, and backwards, in terms of usability, in others. Some of my negative observations are, no doubt, my old person/ previous user response to change. I do though wonder if there were trade-offs when they decided to make it look classier and whether everyone looking at it in their internal beta was a kewl person under 40.

v.

Last edited by taming; 04-24-2013 at 06:53 PM.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 07:10 PM   #47
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Calibre just needs the new USB ID for the device. This weeks update will include it.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 07:16 PM   #48
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Calibre just needs the new USB ID for the device. This weeks update will include it.
I was pretty sure that was the reason it isn't working yet. Thanks for confirming it, Peter.
Old 04-24-2013, 07:35 PM   #49
SouLThinking
Enthusiast
SouLThinking , Klaatu Barada Niktu!SouLThinking , Klaatu Barada Niktu!SouLThinking , Klaatu Barada Niktu!SouLThinking , Klaatu Barada Niktu!SouLThinking , Klaatu Barada Niktu!SouLThinking , Klaatu Barada Niktu!SouLThinking , Klaatu Barada Niktu!SouLThinking , Klaatu Barada Niktu!SouLThinking , Klaatu Barada Niktu!SouLThinking , Klaatu Barada Niktu!SouLThinking , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Nook Color
I placed my order on April 18th. I haven't received an email with tracking info yet. How long did it take for any of you guys?
SouLThinking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 07:37 PM   #50
geormes
Groupie
geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Classic, Kobo Touch, Nook Simple Touch, Kobo Aura
1st 2 hours-
For some reason I had a great deal of difficulty setting up via wireless. When it wanted me to log in to Kobo my password wouldn't work.

After banging my head against that problem for the better part of an hour, I chose to use the Kobo Desktop method. I don't have it installed on my laptop, so download and install time. This time the same password I had been trying with the wireless method went the first time. The desktop also had a forgot password link, but I didn't need it.

This evening I'm going to try the microSD card I use in my Touch and see how it looks.
geormes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 08:04 PM   #51
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Kindle Oasis 2, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouLThinking View Post
I placed my order on April 18th. I haven't received an email with tracking info yet. How long did it take for any of you guys?
Hang in there, I placed my order on the 18th, my card was charged immediately but I only just got my shipment notice today. Mine's coming direct from Hong Kong apparently.
graycyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 11:32 PM   #52
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
I wonder about the differences also.

Here is a screen shot of (what I think is) a kepub:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...2&postcount=93

I like the progress indicators, but I would miss the total number of pages, and I don't like the book title on every page.
So it's either have book title all the time wasting screen space (kepub), or have no chapter progress (ePub)?

Barty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 03:13 AM   #53
taming
Trying for calm & polite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barty View Post
So it's either have book title all the time wasting screen space (kepub), or have no chapter progress (ePub)?
The space where the book title displays in the kepub is the center of the top margin. This is where the time is displayed when you tap to open the top and bottom menus. Other things in that space, when it is invoked, are all of the things that you see persistently on the home page. The space is not available for text, just as the space at the very bottom of the screen isn't.

As for the epub info, I am not sure if that is a work in progress, or what it will report when they are done with it.
Old 04-25-2013, 06:59 AM   #54
geormes
Groupie
geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Classic, Kobo Touch, Nook Simple Touch, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by geormes View Post

This evening I'm going to try the microSD card I use in my Touch and see how it looks.

The card that works fine in the Touch causes the Aura to freeze. Paper clip method resets, but w/ card in slot freezes every time and only resets to home screen when card is removed.

This is NOT a misaligned card problem. Since I haven't moved the Touch firmware from 1.9.17, I wonder if it a issue with the firmware.
geormes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 10:32 AM   #55
jiminrussell
JimInRussell
jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.

Device: kobo Aura One, Forma, Elipsa, Sage
What make of card and what size in GB? I am using an 8GB Lexar class 10 card and have moved from glo to aura HD with out any issues so far.

Edit: don't have my touch anymore to test with
jiminrussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 10:36 AM   #56
HardwareLust
HardwareLust knows the square root of minus one.HardwareLust knows the square root of minus one.HardwareLust knows the square root of minus one.HardwareLust knows the square root of minus one.HardwareLust knows the square root of minus one.HardwareLust knows the square root of minus one.HardwareLust knows the square root of minus one.HardwareLust knows the square root of minus one.HardwareLust knows the square root of minus one.HardwareLust knows the square root of minus one.HardwareLust knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Sony PRS-950, Nook Color/Tablet, Kobo Aura HD/Mini, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouLThinking View Post
I ordered on April 16th, my card was charged on April 19th, I received tracking info on April 23rd, and then I received my reader yesterday evening (the 24th).
HardwareLust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 10:44 AM   #57
ballfresno
Addict
ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo (Sage, Aura One, Aura HD, & Touch); reMarkable tablet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
I've only had it for about an hour. Here are some initial observations.
I agree with almost all of your observations. I got my Aura about an hour ago as well. Initial setup was quick; in my case, I connected via WiFi. Sync was fast and typing on the keyboard was fine.

Quote:
It seems to me that this is a step forward in some ways, and backwards, in terms of usability, in others.
So far, all I have experienced, other than needing to swipe to page in the library, is positive. I've not played with the light yet (sunny here for once! ).
ballfresno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 12:08 PM   #58
Asterisk411
Asterisk411 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 wifi
How is the Aura HD for pdf's? I'm a student and am thinking of getting one for school pdf's, lecture notes, textbooks ect.

I currently have a kindle keyboard where to read the pdf I have to turn it sideways. How much better is the Aura?

Thanks
Asterisk411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 12:21 PM   #59
d-y-k
d-y-k began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
My aura just arrived. When the glow is on, it seems to have a very light yellow cast on the upper portion of the screen. Anyone seen the yellow cast?

Thanks
d-y-k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 12:22 PM   #60
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
FWIW, calibre did not recognize it. Not really a kobo problem, but David may have some work to do.
That will be fixed in tomorrow's update to 0.9.28.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote