Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 07-13-2010, 03:58 PM   #1
goblinbox
*****istratrix
goblinbox began at the beginning.

Device: K2, iThing
Question CPU usage at 100% while fetching news

When Calibre is fetching news, my machine is so busy it's practically unusable.

Calibre, fetching news

No other application hammers my CPU like Calibre does (and I'm running big bloatware apps like iTunes, IE, Office, and Photoshop).

Is this due to my hardware? My machine is actually a netbook, so it's not exactly the most robust thing out there...

Last edited by goblinbox; 07-13-2010 at 04:00 PM. Reason: fix img link
goblinbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 06:47 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by goblinbox View Post
When Calibre is fetching news, my machine is so busy it's practically unusable.

Calibre, fetching news

No other application hammers my CPU like Calibre does (and I'm running big bloatware apps like iTunes, IE, Office, and Photoshop).

Is this due to my hardware? My machine is actually a netbook, so it's not exactly the most robust thing out there...
Look, AVG is scanning the cr*p out of that (I have not found a single folder to exclude from active scan that won't put my system at risk from other stuff). Is it possible to designate a temp folder for calibre use so that we can exclude it from active scans (I believe it uses the standard temp folder. a temp\Calibre folder would work,but a "user specified" folder would be better security).
I excluded my library from an active scan already.)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-13-2010, 07:31 PM   #3
goblinbox
*****istratrix

AVG, you think? Oh, because of the 'net access? Okay, let me kill it and see what happens...
Old 07-13-2010, 07:40 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
AVG, you think? Oh, because of the 'net access? Okay, let me kill it and see what happens...
Interaction.
And NO, I don't recommend killing AVG totally on a Net connected system, only tame it's activity on "safe(r)" folders, that have been scanned elsewhen. Download= Scan. Post D/L process=snooze )
Old 07-14-2010, 09:54 AM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
You can use the environment variable TEMP to specify a custom temporary directory.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-14-2010, 10:36 AM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
You can use the environment variable TEMP to specify a custom temporary directory.
I have, but that is Global to the whole system, so excluding that is not a good idea. That is why I was hoping for an "internal to Calibre" setting that the /bad guys/ (tm) could not get by simply asking for a list of ENV vars.
Old 07-14-2010, 10:37 AM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

set the env var only in a ascript that then launches calibre.
Old 07-14-2010, 10:56 AM   #8
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
set the env var only in a ascript that then launches calibre.
Thanks for the tip.
Old 07-14-2010, 04:04 PM   #9
goblinbox
*****istratrix

I uninstalled AVG completely, rebooted. Launched Calibre, started to fetch news. There are four calibre-parallel processes running, and again my CPU useage is at 100%.

Therefore: I rule out my AV software causing the load.

I'm going to go reinstall my AV now. Any other suggestions?
Old 07-14-2010, 04:24 PM   #10
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
I'm going to go reinstall my AV now. Any other suggestions?
I wonder if all news recipes cause this, and how closely linked it is to the network usage. You could start with a default configuration for Calibre (set the environment variable for config to an empty directory) and an empty library, Then add a single simple recipe, possibly turning on the two throttles of single connection and delay between requests and then see what it does.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 06:08 PM   #11
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Are you running multiple downloads simultaneously? I see two active worker processes that implies two jobs. Simply run a single job at a time and your cpu usage should be fine.
Old 07-14-2010, 06:43 PM   #12
goblinbox
*****istratrix

Is there a way to tell Calibre to fetch only one recipe at a time? Or do I have to click "download now" for each one manually?

Thanks.
Old 07-14-2010, 06:47 PM   #13
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

go to preferences->advanced you can control how many workers are run from there.

Tags
calibre, cpu, news