Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 08-17-2010, 11:32 AM   #1
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time ebooks

I'm thinking about starting a re-read of these books in anticipation of the completion of the series (finally, after 20 years since the publication of the first novel.) How is the quality of the ebooks? Are there many OCR or formatting errors? Any other annoyances?
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 11:43 AM   #2
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
I've not noticed problems in formatting in the Kindle versions (gotten through the first 4 so far).
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-17-2010, 11:50 AM   #3
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
From what I've heard Tor spent some time with these making sure they were done right (if you mean the US versions), but I haven't checked them out myself.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 02:25 PM   #4
MelC
Evangelist
MelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it is

Device: Cybook Gen3, PRS600
Is it finishing this November or next? For some reason I thought there was another year, that the last book was now going to be three books... Of course it is entirely possible that I have lost all time perspective when it comes to this series which has dragged on in an excessively unwieldly way for so long. If it is finishing this year perhaps I will rouse myself to get reacquainted with it though.

Mel
MelC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 02:38 PM   #5
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MelC View Post
Is it finishing this November or next? For some reason I thought there was another year, that the last book was now going to be three books... Of course it is entirely possible that I have lost all time perspective when it comes to this series which has dragged on in an excessively unwieldly way for so long. If it is finishing this year perhaps I will rouse myself to get reacquainted with it though.

Mel
Here is the projected schedule: http://www.tor.com/blogs/2009/11/whe...shing-schedule
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-18-2010, 11:26 PM   #6
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
The penultimate book, Towers of Midnight, is scheduled to be published in hardback on November 2, 2010 with the final book, A Memory of Light, scheduled for November 2011.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 09:12 AM   #7
darknessangel
Addict
darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, iPad
I was lucky that I postponed reading The Gathering Storm until this year. But I was still shocked to see that it ended in a cliffhanger as I thought it was the last one! >_<

GJMS
darknessangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 09:36 AM   #8
MelC
Evangelist
MelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it is

Device: Cybook Gen3, PRS600
That's what I thought. I will continue to postpone until the last book is imminent.
MelC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 08:27 PM   #9
jaxx6166
Wizard
jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 350, iPad, PW
Speaking of Brandon Sanderson..has he made WoT a bit more imagination friendly? Or is it still sixteen pages of description of clothes with nothing happening for 1200 pages
jaxx6166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 04:44 AM   #10
darknessangel
Addict
darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxx6166 View Post
Speaking of Brandon Sanderson..has he made WoT a bit more imagination friendly? Or is it still sixteen pages of description of clothes with nothing happening for 1200 pages
First, I liked that style as I just speed-read through it and it was like a detailed painting for me to see, but to each its own. Now to the point, I found that the guy really goes to the point more than Robet Jordan but still keeps most of the style. I think this is fruit of his notes and close work with Jordan's widow. So for you it would be tons faster and better than the other books =/.
darknessangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 08:25 AM   #11
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard
Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: JetBook Lite (away from home) + 1 spare, 32" TV (at home)
The only reason I'm still reading this series is I've invested so much time (and money) in it, I want to see what happens. It has long been milked past dry. Starting each new book is rough because so much time has past since the previous one, I have trouble recalling what had been going on. While I still have and will keep all the earlier books, it's so massive a series, it's not likely I'll ever reread it. It started out great but too much of a good thing...
Lady Fitzgerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 08:48 AM   #12
Zyzomys
Hooked on Phonics
Zyzomys began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
I quite enjoyed The Gathering Storm and I am eagerly looking forward to the next release.
Zyzomys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 02:47 PM   #13
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Tab A 10.1(2019), Pixel 6a.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Fitzgerald View Post
The only reason I'm still reading this series is I've invested so much time (and money) in it, I want to see what happens. It has long been milked past dry. Starting each new book is rough because so much time has past since the previous one, I have trouble recalling what had been going on. While I still have and will keep all the earlier books, it's so massive a series, it's not likely I'll ever reread it. It started out great but too much of a good thing...
In the beginning, we had a really good book that became popular, it was a self contained story with a beginning, a middle and an end.

Then someone said, "why not a sequel?", sometimes it was good, sometimes not, but it too was a complete story. And anyone who liked the first would likely buy a second book. And once you got their money, it was only personal pride that made you care if they liked the second or not.

After that, we got the "Trilogy" because somebody figured out that:a) If people would buy two books, then they would likely buy a third. and b) writers could talk themselves into believing that what they had to say was BIGGER than a mere single volume.

Now we have, "The Franchise". An endless string of volumes containing the same characters who never actually DO anything after the third volume, but everyone buys, 'just because'. Apparently, like murdered rap stars, the lucky authors who start a 'franchise' don't actually have to be alive to produce new work.

I'm on the 4th book of the WOT, can someone tell me if ANYTHING happens in the 5th book?
GlenBarrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 07:36 PM   #14
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro (Black), 2 x Kindle WiFi (Graphite), iPod Touch 4G
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenBarrington View Post
I'm on the 4th book of the WOT, can someone tell me if ANYTHING happens in the 5th book?
My personal thoughts is (and I'm currently on book 10) is they are quite enjoyable, though towards the latter books nothing of real great significance happens until towards the end of each book. Now don't believe everything you read about WOT either, forum postings around the place gave book 8 a rather poor rating though I rather enjoyed it. Book 10 on the other hand.....
Solicitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 07:28 AM   #15
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
I've read 1-10, and the prequel (or were there 2 prequels), in paper format, when they were released. The only one I remember at all was the first one. I'm going to wait until the series is complete, and then read the entire series again (when it is available in ebook form).
John F is offline   Reply With Quote