Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 03-04-2010, 08:33 AM   #1
ghostyjack
Guru
ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, 1825PT, Galaxy Tab, One X, TF700T, Aura HD, Nexus 7
Iphone 3GS or HTC HD2 for Ebook Reading

I've decided to upgrade my mobile and replace it with a touch-screen device that can double as an ereader.

Currently I use a Nokia N800 as a portable ereader when I go to work and leave my PRS 600 at home.

The plan is to replace my current mobile and the N800 with a single device and so far I seem to have come down to two choices: the Apple Iphone 3GS and the HTC HD2.

Both seem to have their merits; HD2 as an identicle screen size to the N800, but the Iphone seems to have the better reading apps.

Can anyone give me any help on making the choice. Cost isn't a concern as I work for Orange and will be able to get it from them for free.
ghostyjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 11:21 AM   #2
Tamara
Evangelist
Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostyjack View Post
I've decided to upgrade my mobile and replace it with a touch-screen device that can double as an ereader.

Currently I use a Nokia N800 as a portable ereader when I go to work and leave my PRS 600 at home.

The plan is to replace my current mobile and the N800 with a single device and so far I seem to have come down to two choices: the Apple Iphone 3GS and the HTC HD2.

Both seem to have their merits; HD2 as an identicle screen size to the N800, but the Iphone seems to have the better reading apps.

Can anyone give me any help on making the choice. Cost isn't a concern as I work for Orange and will be able to get it from them for free.
I've never used the HTC but I find the iPhone reader apps to be very nice and they work well.
Tamara is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-04-2010, 10:03 PM   #3
kmac
kmac began at the beginning.

Device: ipod touch
I just got rid of my n810 in favour of an iPod touch (I found the n810 a bit bulky to carry around). I'm only a few days in, but so far I'm kind of missing that larger screen size (and resolution) on the n810. I will most likely get used to it, but it is proving to be a bit of an adjustment. Basically I'm still playing with fonts and sizes to try to find something that I'm comfortable with.

However, you're correct about the software - I'm using stanza and it is very nice. So far I like it better than fbreader. It's very responsive and intuitive.
kmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 10:31 PM   #4
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
I would recommend the HD2 and the Freda epub reader. The Mobi app is fine, too. The HD2 has a much bigger screen (though is only a little taller and wider) and a higher resolution. And it is faster and more flexible. You can make it even better by getting one of the advanced custom ROMs from XDA devepers. And for reading, don't forget the exchangeable battery, a big plus that you can carry a spare.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 06:41 PM   #5
jcatl
Enthusiast
jcatl began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-900
If you decide on an iPhone I'd wait until this summer as new ones will (probably) be out. The 3GS will probably get cheaper and the new model may have an even faster processor.
jcatl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-06-2010, 06:58 PM   #6
Bremen Cole
Wizard
Bremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with others

Device: iPad
iPhone.... kindle app, B&N app, fbreader, ereader app..... its all there, and works great.

If you talk on the phone, surf the web, read a lot....battery life will hit you hard....

It's a great little device that you could really have on hours a day... but the battery won't let you....
Bremen Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 04:13 AM   #7
ghostyjack
Guru
ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, 1825PT, Galaxy Tab, One X, TF700T, Aura HD, Nexus 7
Hmm, thanks for all the comments.

Still can't decide, looks like this decision could take quite a while.
ghostyjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 07:30 AM   #8
idum
idum began at the beginning.

Device: HTC
I confirm that Frida on Winmobile devices is very good. The mobipocket free software is also very easy to use.
It is sad that Calibre don't support directly connections with Windows mobile, so if you use that software for the manteinance of your digital library, it is less immediate to load/unload ebooks in your device.
idum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 10:34 PM   #9
JimMcLaren
Addict
JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox T68, Kobo Aura HD, Pocketbook 302, Pocketbook 912, Nook HD+
Freda on Winmobile is great for epub. uBook and Mobipocket are good for other formats. I've got the AT&T Tilt 2 and I keep spare batteries at work and home because the battery life is so poor. But I'm very happy with Freda. You can get it here on MR.
JimMcLaren is offline   Reply With Quote