Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 04-02-2009, 07:55 PM   #1
lweller
lweller began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Battery indicator not changing

First post here, so firstly 'hi'...and 'sorry it's a problem to start with!'...

I've just bought a PRS-505 and so far love it! I've been reading quite a bit, but, unlike my husband's device, mine isn't showing any battery drain. Has anyone come across this before? I don't want to get to the stage where it's gone flat and I'm stuck without any warning.
Thanks. Lyn
lweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 08:01 PM   #2
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
edit* misread the question. How long have you been using it?
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-02-2009, 08:12 PM   #3
GraceKrispy
It's Dr. Penguin now!
GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini, Samsung Note 3, Sony PRS-650 (rarely used now)
Mine takes several days to a week or so of daily use to start to show any less battery power. since I frequently hook it up to the computer to download or organize books, it rarely gets the chance to go down much at all. I guess you could do a test where you kept it on and just flipped pages over and over as much as possible to see if it goes down at all. From what I understand, it's the page flipping, not the displaying of a page, that drains the battery.

Does your husband have the same device and the same reading habits and his is showing drain and yours isn't?
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 08:35 PM   #4
lweller

I've been reading on and off for a couple of days. Plus, as it's a new device I've been having a look at the bits that came with it. I've been using the power slide at the top to 'turn it off' in between reading. I love that it comes on instantly - and know that this is not a good thing for battery consumption - so have been doing that to see how much of an impact it was going to have on the battery. Hence my surprise that it's not gone down at all.

Of course, it could be my husband's device that's 'wrong'...;-)

We've both got the same readers, but he's not really been using his to read yet. He has been downloading the customisation bits and now his battery is on 1 or 2 (he's recharging it now so I can't see).

We're used to the Iliads where the battery life goes down quite quickly.

Lyn
Old 04-02-2009, 08:46 PM   #5
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by lweller View Post
I've been reading on and off for a couple of days. Plus, as it's a new device I've been having a look at the bits that came with it. I've been using the power slide at the top to 'turn it off' in between reading. I love that it comes on instantly - and know that this is not a good thing for battery consumption - so have been doing that to see how much of an impact it was going to have on the battery. Hence my surprise that it's not gone down at all.

Of course, it could be my husband's device that's 'wrong'...;-)

We've both got the same readers, but he's not really been using his to read yet. He has been downloading the customisation bits and now his battery is on 1 or 2 (he's recharging it now so I can't see).

We're used to the Iliads where the battery life goes down quite quickly.

Lyn
You should be able to read several 400-500 page books on one charge. What actually drains the battery is page turns.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-02-2009, 11:27 PM   #6
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Sony PRS-650, Galaxy Nexus, Nexus 7
I never do a complete shut-down. I only use the slider to put it in standby mode and my battery will last ast least 2 weeks. By using standby the will be a little trickle battery drain. If you were not to use the Reader for a few weeks then the battery would probably die.

I don't think there is anything wrong with your Reader.
grooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 04:10 AM   #7
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
What grooks said - Also, if you've been adding more books at any stage, it'll have been getting a little boost from the USB link then (which is fine - these types of battery are fine with "little & often" recharges).

I use mine quite a lot, never completely switch it off & even so, only need to charge it every week or two if I 've not had it USB linked for some reason during that time.
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 08:31 AM   #8
lweller

Thanks for the advice. I feel a bit foolish as if I'd waited a bit longer I wouldn't have posted.

I'm happy to say that it has now gone down to 3/4 so I know it's working - just pleasantly surprised at how long it goes before depleting. The Iliads went to 3/4 almost immediately, so I was expecting a similar thing on the 505.

I'll continue to just use the slider to turn it 'off' unless I know I'm not going to be reading for a while. Another bonus - the Iliad always takes a long time to wake up.

Lyn
Old 04-03-2009, 05:25 PM   #9
GraceKrispy
It's Dr. Penguin now!
GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini, Samsung Note 3, Sony PRS-650 (rarely used now)
I'm glad it's working! Now you can enjoy the fact that it has great battery power
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 09:48 PM   #10
radamo
Addict
radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Oasis 9th Gen
Boy, I can attest to that. I got mine about two weeks ago and only charged it once. I have connected it several times to load new books and to test different conversion methods to see what works best but I have also read the equivalent of 2 decent sized novels during that time. I am impressed with the battery life of this unit.
RA
radamo is offline   Reply With Quote