Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 01-09-2016, 11:12 AM   #1
mlo
mlo began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo HD (former Kobo Glo user)
Using the dictionary with non .kepub-books on Glo HD

I have been searching this forum and the FAQ, but can't find the answer, so I post my problem here.

My beloved Kobo Glo fell on the ground earlier this week, and my screen was dead. I went to the store, bought a Glo HD under the assumption it would work the same as my Glo, but with higher quality.
To my dissappointment, the Glo HD handles books that are not in the Kobo epub format much worse than the Glo did. My main problem is that if I want to look up a definition in the dictionairy, I was used to just tap on the word and there the definition was. That seems no longer to be supported, with .epubs and none-kepubs. I often read in foreign languages, so going to the dictionairy and type in the word my self is not a nice workaround.

My question is: is there a patch or some other fix to solve this problem, so I can easily acces the dictionairy from other formats than kepub? I would very much appreciate your help!
mlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 11:37 AM   #2
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
As far as know lookups from a book work as before.

The only change in current f/w builds is that you can't tap a word in the dictionary popup to get its meaning.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-09-2016, 12:41 PM   #3
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
Maybe your problem is trying to quickly tap the word. You should do a long press on the word and then the definition should pop up. I can't even remember a firmware that was a quick tap on a Kobo reader for the dictionary.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 07:39 PM   #4
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
I have found you need to hold the word slightly longer to bring up the dictionary in the newer firmwares. Maybe that's the issue. Just tried it with an epub and it works for me.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 03:35 AM   #5
mlo
mlo began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo HD (former Kobo Glo user)
Thanx for your help! after al your answers I tried Some more. I was reading .mobi, there the 'pressing' did nog work, but with .epub it does! What go me confused was the manual of the Glo HD that saus: 'The dictionary may not work in some books such as PDFs, books you borrowed from a public library, or free books you found on the Internet.'

Last edited by mlo; 01-10-2016 at 03:37 AM.
mlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-10-2016, 03:40 AM   #6
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlo View Post
Thanx for your help! after al your answers I tried Some more. I was reading .mobi, there the 'pressing' did nog work, but with .epub it does!
Convert your mobi files to epub or kepub with Calibre before putting them on your Kobo. Mobi support is not good, but they typically convert effortlessly.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 11:40 AM   #7
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
You might add KOReader it uses the Coolreader 3 Engine (cr3) for .epub, .mobi and a number of other ebook formats. Koreader supports Stardict dictionaries that can be found on the internet. There are a number of translation dictionaries, also. You can now select and lookup words from within the definition popup window, as well.

It also works by a long press on the word you want a definition for.

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dictionairy, epub, kobo glo hd, sideloaded