Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 09-11-2013, 08:01 AM   #181
doctorow
Guru
doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Memory is cheap and new eReaders come with plenty of built-in memory. I'd feel silly keeping all that memory unused... thus I carry my reading collecting with me everywhere I go. But I make sure to keep current backups on my computer, just in case.
doctorow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 08:10 AM   #182
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuskyRose View Post
That's not all that many books compared to many. I keep about 2,000 on mine as a limit because that's what it seems happiest at. You can certainly get more on it before it you see it start to have problems. 3,000 -4,000 just seems to be when it starts to lose it.

When it starts to have problems it's not about being slow, it's about the firmware locking up, processes having to stop, and getting a fully black screen when trying to navigate from an open book back to the main menu.

You also have to work with it for a while. It doesn't happen every time, but will happen several times during a week.

If you're lucky, it won't happen, but I'm not the only one to have this problem with very high numbers, on all of my T1's and T2's.
I have had this happen a couple of times(black screen etc.). I find that if I eject the T1 from calibre after loading books, then plug it back in without connecting so it doesn't go to sleep while processing the content that it behaves better. Could be coincidence, but seems to work.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-11-2013, 08:17 AM   #183
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorow View Post
Memory is cheap and new eReaders come with plenty of built-in memory. I'd feel silly keeping all that memory unused... thus I carry my reading collecting with me everywhere I go. But I make sure to keep current backups on my computer, just in case.
Would that not be more rational if memory were expensive? Since it is cheap I will not feel silly not using it since I have not paid so much for it.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 08:56 AM   #184
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
To be perfectly honest, I think the only answer is "because I (don't) want to." I certainly don't think either camp has any valid claim to "normal" or default or baseline behavior from which all others are deviating. So I do rankle a bit when I hear "why would anybody do it any other way?" As if there needs to be any reason other than "different people are different."

I just enjoy hearing all the different reasons why people do what they do -- right up until someone tries to imply that theirs is the only reasoning that's remotely logical -- it's a fun, lively discussion. It's quite clear by now (or should be anyway) that logic plays very little role in this discussion. Nor should it really; there can be no winner after all.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 09-11-2013 at 09:01 AM.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 03:44 PM   #185
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by Breid View Post
I am very possibly representative of a minority viewpoint on this forum, but I am puzzled by other folks' desire to store thousands of ebooks on their ereaders. I am building my collection and add all my purchases to Calibre, which I backup regularly. But I only keep my to be read books on my ereader, and as I currently have 40 titles on that shelf, I reckon that will keep me in reading material for at least a month.

I am wondering if I am a slow reader, or if other folks have a higher 'must store' threshold than mine?

[image by Abhi Sharma / flickr]
I guess I'm a typical "ambassador" of the other faction:
I'm totally annoyed, that I can't keep my circa 900 Amazon eBooks on my Kindle Paperwhite.
(I've got maybe 50 comics [Dilbert & Garfield], each around 50 to 100 MB and the same for roundabout 50 travel guides and the Kindle Paperwhite only holds 2GB).
Why?
a.) I don't want to put the read books into the cloud archive.
b.) I've bought the 3G model, so I can download books wherever I am. Still: I don't want to rely on that. When traveling, I want to be able to access my books - even in the remotest of locations. Without bothering about WiFi or 3G and such.
c.) Usually I don't have a plan, what to read next. I wouldn't be able, to choose let's say 50 books I intend to read next. Often a promising book is boring and I want to switch. But what to read? Then I enjoy to scroll through my entire library. Now, on my Paperwhite, my library is about 60 pages. That's not that long. In cover mode, I can scroll through that library and choose 1 or 2 books to read within less than 10 minutes.
d.) A few years ago, I put lots of effort in my library. I've downloaded all my purchases separately on the PC: Then I stripped them from DRM and converted them to half a dozen target formats for my various readers. I don't want to spend that amount of time anymore. I purchase on my momentary favorite, download and read. It may seem a bit risky, to have no backup at all. But as long as I buy from Amazon and the likes, I don't expect them to cease business quickly. I've had that with some smaller merchants and made my backups in their ramp-down phase.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-11-2013, 07:50 PM   #186
Bittybye
Addict
Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T2
I am a very fast reader. I can read your average 350 page book in a work day, and can read 2 books like that on a weekend when I have nothing else set up.
When I am away from my home computer if I finish a book I never know what I'll want to read. i might want to reread that horror/humour zombie novel I love. I might want to read a romance, or one of the thousands of fan fictions I have from one of the dozens of fandoms I'm in. Or I might want to read a nonfiction. I never know what I'll be in the mood for. if something around me depresses me I want to read something funny. so I want to be able to keep my options open.
Bittybye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 09:11 PM   #187
BWinmill
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5thWiggle View Post
Forget American Express. Potato: Don't leave home without it!
Excellent foresight. You have a power source that you can plant and grow more of. If you have a surplus of potatoes, you can even afford to set aside a couple to eat. Just keep your priorities straight: ereader power first, food second!
Old 09-11-2013, 10:12 PM   #188
piper28
Zealot
piper28 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piper28 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piper28 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piper28 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piper28 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piper28 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piper28 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piper28 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piper28 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piper28 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piper28 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I assure you, the idea of "just hopping in the car and driving around to get out of the house for a bit" is just as brain-asploding to me... especially at $3.50-4.00 per gallon.
Heh, when you're already looking at a $500-$600 a month gas bill, getting out for the day is just rounding error .
piper28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 05:14 AM   #189
Chi Cygni
秋子 permanently lurking
Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Pocketbook Era
Quote:
Also, almost all the ebooks I own, I've already read. My next read usually hasn't been purchased yet. I finish a book and then go fishing around the internet for what I might want to read next. I don't really stockpile unread ebooks on any of my hardware. (...) I mean, I'll catch a bargain every now and then, but for the most part, I don't buy an ebook I'm not ready to begin reading immediately.
This is EXACTLY how I do it. I fish for a book of a certain genre when I feel like reading it, buy it, read it, then take a few days off to think it over and then start fishing again. I have 35 books on my new ereader now.

I only stockpiled twice, before 2 weeks holidays, I bought 6 books in one go where I knew I'd not have access to internet. Stockpiling usually backfires on me because if I do then out of a sudden I don't feel like reading it anymore (one of those 6 books is still unread 2 years later) Bargains are money traps too. This year I bought several series as it was bargain and now they are sitting there looking dirty at me, demanding to be read. Some books I just like to have with me at all times on my reader but I never exceeded 100.

It is just horror for me to think I'd have thousands of books piled up "just in case" to manage in calibre, sort, put in collections, organise and waste my reading time doing that. But as Han Solo said "hey, it's me"
Chi Cygni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 11:19 AM   #190
crossi
Guru
crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi Cygni View Post
It is just horror for me to think I'd have thousands of books piled up "just in case" to manage in calibre, sort, put in collections, organise and waste my reading time doing that. But as Han Solo said "hey, it's me"
It takes me about 5 minutes for each book to download, de_DRM, add to Calibre, edit genres, series, titles, pub dates, ect then send it to my reader and add it to it's author/collection. I don't stockpile unread books. I buy as I want to read them except in the case of replacing paper editions I've already read. It's a one time chore for each book and I'm doing it one at a time as needed. Once done and on my reader since I reread favorites a lot it makes it really easy to browse author names and pick out whatever book I feel like at the moment. I've only about 900 on my reader not thousands, yet, but it's a lot quicker browsing my collections than my archive which is the equilivant of keeping all your paper books not in organized shelves but in a large pit with the newest books thrown on top and the rest buried, somewhere, in the depths. Just a little hard to dig out the specific book you want. You can tell I'm a little unimpressed with Amazon's archive, cloud and the Manage your kindle interface.
crossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 01:30 PM   #191
pagansoul
Fanatic
pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone5, iPad Gen3, Kobo, Kindle Fire, Kobo Vox. Samsung Galaxy Tab 7
On my iPad3 I have about 100 books/30 magazines on my device in the Kindle App. I have about the same on my iBooks App. I have about 125 comics under my ComicGlass App and 3 books in Audible App. I have hundreds of magazines in my Zinio App (I'm going to have to go and delete some of them). My Calibre library on my Mac is well over 5k and I don't keep my comics (CBR and PDF) in it, they have their own External Hard Drive. My ereaders have about 500 ebooks in them, mostly short romance books that I can read in one sitting. At work I like to have my iPad but when I'm about on the weekends I use my 7inchers like my Fire or Galaxy Tab or Vox, whatever is handy at the time.
pagansoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 02:47 PM   #192
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
Quote:
No large city. A very small town actually. But it does have a grocery store. As well as convenience stores and drug stores. And pizza shops. A couple of restaraunts, bars and churches. A library. Elementary school, middle school, high school. Two parks. A cheese factory/dairy and several other businesses. All easily within a one-mile radius of where I live. Most within very casual walking distance.

I assure you, the idea of "just hopping in the car and driving around to get out of the house for a bit" is just as brain-asploding to me... especially at $3.50-4.00 per gallon.
DiapDealer, I find the concept of limiting oneself's world to a 1 mile radius, voluntarily, to be just as "brain-asploding" to me as the open road seems to be you. To my worldview, it's like going back to the life of a medival village, when to go 50 miles away made you "great traveller".

But to each their own...
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 03:22 PM   #193
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Sir Edward View Post
...when to go 50 miles away made you "great traveller"....
Jabberwocky?
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 03:28 PM   #194
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Sir Edward View Post
DiapDealer, I find the concept of limiting oneself's world to a 1 mile radius, voluntarily, to be just as "brain-asploding" to me as the open road seems to be you. To my worldview, it's like going back to the life of a medival village, when to go 50 miles away made you "great traveller".

But to each their own...
First thing you need to do is stop thinking of it as "limiting oneself." I'm not limiting myself in the least. Besides, I didn't mean to imply that I've never traveled--I've done so extensively in my past--but rather that I'm done traveling. I love where I am. Contraction is just the easiest way for me to do more with less. To maximize my "doing stuff" time (and money) by eliminating the tedious (and costly) "getting to where I'm going to do the stuff" time. Living, working, playing, shopping, etc... in different (often distant) places just doesn't make sense to me anymore (psychologically, emotionally or financially). If that's medieval ... so be it. But you feel free to send me a postcard or two from all those exotic ports, Admiral. I'll be sure to tack 'em on the walls of my daub & wattle hut.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 09-13-2013 at 04:10 PM.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 06:54 AM   #195
samy2
Ebook-Fan
samy2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samy2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samy2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samy2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samy2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samy2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samy2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samy2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samy2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samy2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samy2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by samy2 View Post
I will share my experience in a week or two. But i'm in a good mood. This other guy has 10,000 Ebooks on his T2, and has nor problems.
There are no problems and no flaky at all. 3000 Ebooks on an scdard on the T1 and now a few days on the T3.
samy2 is offline   Reply With Quote