Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 03-20-2013, 06:15 PM   #136
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
I spend a heck of a lot more than $1200 annually at Amazon. Prime is definitely a big reason that I purchase so many of my goods there. Toilet paper. Dog treats. Semolina flour. Electronics. Wine racks. Small appliances. If the price at Amazon is reasonable (and I do shop around), I'll buy from them for the 2-day shipping.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 04:57 AM   #137
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by pidgeon92 View Post
I spend a heck of a lot more than $1200 annually at Amazon. Prime is definitely a big reason that I purchase so many of my goods there. Toilet paper. Dog treats. Semolina flour. Electronics. Wine racks. Small appliances. If the price at Amazon is reasonable (and I do shop around), I'll buy from them for the 2-day shipping.
Me too. I do pretty much all my shopping, other than groceries, at Amazon. Just bought a new DSLR camera from them, for example. Last year I spent something like £5000 ($8000) at Amazon.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-21-2013, 08:11 AM   #138
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
I found the mattress anecdote the most telling.
It reminded me of the MONEYBALL book.
Which is *not* a baseball book but rather an economics primer about how clever people can exploit inefficiencies in a system (be it baseball player scouting or dry-goods logistics) to outmanuever competitors.

Lost in all the hand-wringing over Amazon's massive "factory" warehouses is just how much merchandise they move at low profit margins, helping their suppliers earn *their* profits. Which are typically much larger than Amazon's own profits.

The Bezos quote is most telling; they see they competitors' margin (and overhead) as their competitive advantage so they strive for ever-higher volumes and ever-greater efficiencies in their own operations. And they're always looking for a new angle to old ideas: Prime is really just a new take on Loyalty Card programs, using the video streaming, the ebook lending library, and the free shipping as the key loyalty perks. Their recently-announced digital currency looks to be a digital version of the old Green Stamps. And both are intended to get people to (happily) buy from them.

Tricky dudes.
And their biggest trick is that they work big so they can sell cheap.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 09:49 AM   #139
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Yup

Love Prime and Amazon Mom's. We have 6 things that we subscribe to, we get 15% off all them because we subscribe to 5 or more items and they can be delivered in one package. We get 15% off diapers and kid stuff in subscribe and save because I am a member of Amazon Moms (free to join). Toss in Prime and we have diapers delivered every other month for a lot less then we can get them at Target and we don't have to go any where.

Worried abot forgetting that you subscribed to something and you don't need it any more? They send you an email reminder two weeks before delivery so you can cancel that particular order.

I do price shop. We don't buy baby food or formula through Amazon, it is the same price, many times less expensive, in the area. Babies R US actually has the best price when they are having sales. I don't buy anything from the grocery because it is normally more expensive then buying it at the store. I think Amazon manily uses associates to sell food items and they tend to be expensive.

We watch the free movies and shows (I caught up on Downton Abbey and a few other shows for free). Movies are about a dollar less to rent through Amazon then FIOS. We dropped Netflix because we found Amazon had what we needed and it came with Prime.

We were not able to find the toy we wanted for the baby at the stores around us, so I got it from Amazon. Delivered the next day even. No charge for the delivery.

I know stores like Amazon have their pros and cons. I get it. I also want to have extra money to set aside for college fund, take nice vacations, and the like. Diapers, wipes, and the like are expensive. Save me 15% and I am a happy camper.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 09:49 PM   #140
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/...057_story.html

I made a statement regarding slavery a while back that some folks had trouble reading. I just ran across this story in the Washington Post.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-16-2013, 10:52 AM   #141
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/...057_story.html

I made a statement regarding slavery a while back that some folks had trouble reading. I just ran across this story in the Washington Post.
That is awful --- but really doesn't belong in a discussion about working conditions at Amazon.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
amazon, amazon uk, rugeley, work conditions