Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 11-06-2012, 02:52 PM   #1
xmlgirl
Enthusiast
xmlgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xmlgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xmlgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xmlgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xmlgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xmlgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xmlgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xmlgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xmlgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xmlgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xmlgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
basic beginner questions epub to kf8

Please excuse me today, I'm sick and my brain is not working right. I entered my email password 10 times before I realized I had only entered half of it, ugh!

I want to convert an EPUB 3.0 to KF8. Is the extension for KF8 .mobi? And the extension for older Kindle formats .azw?

Is an NCX required for KF8 even if the input is EPUB 3.0?

In the Kindle previewer, it said my book converted, but with warnings. Where do I find those warnings?

Thanks
xmlgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 11:03 PM   #2
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by xmlgirl View Post
I want to convert an EPUB 3.0 to KF8.
Won't work, since KF8 supports only ePub 2.0.

Quote:
Is the extension for KF8 .mobi?
A .mobi file generated by Kindle Previewer/Kindlegen contains both a non-KF8 file and a KF8 file. If you download a KF8-only file from Amazon, it usually has the extension .azw3.

Quote:
And the extension for older Kindle formats .azw?
Yes, but only on Amazon. (Amazon automatically extracts KF8 and non-KF8 files from the master .mobi file created by KindleGen.)

Quote:
Is an NCX required for KF8 even if the input is EPUB 3.0?
It's not required, but recommended. For more information see the Amazon Publishing Guidelines.

Quote:
In the Kindle previewer, it said my book converted, but with warnings. Where do I find those warnings?
Click Compilation Details.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-07-2012, 02:51 PM   #3
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Actually KF8 target is ePub 3 but it isn't fully there yet. For example the guidelines say that audio is supported on Kindle for iOS but not yet for Kindle fire.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 05:33 PM   #4
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
Actually KF8 target is ePub 3 but it isn't fully there yet. For example the guidelines say that audio is supported on Kindle for iOS but not yet for Kindle fire.
It's quite possible that Amazon is aiming at full ePub 3 support, but if you look at the current specs and the overall firmware support, it's actually much closer to ePub 2.01 than ePub 3.
Therefore it's next to impossible to convert a full-fledged ePub 3 to KF8 without redesigning the layout. Also, since KF8 still doesn't support JavaScript, it's not possible to create interactive ebooks.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote