Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe

Notices

Old 10-24-2011, 02:23 AM   #1
rebeltaz
Connoisseur
rebeltaz will become famous soon enoughrebeltaz will become famous soon enoughrebeltaz will become famous soon enoughrebeltaz will become famous soon enoughrebeltaz will become famous soon enoughrebeltaz will become famous soon enough

Device: Entourage Pocket eDge
upgrading ES File Explorer

I am trying to upgrade the File Explorer, but every time I try (I tried v1.6.0 from SlideMe and I found a v1.6.0.3 from apktop.com) it says that it could not be installed. I read somewhere on here that someone else got it to update by uninstalling the factory version and reinstalling the new version. I cannot find a way to uninstall a system app. I have rooted my PE using z4root if that helps.

Any advice would be great. Thanks..

EDIT
I just wanted to add that, using ConnectBot, I tried connecting to local and issuing the 'su' command. The system told me that su was not available, even though z4root tells me that it should be...?

Last edited by rebeltaz; 10-24-2011 at 03:03 AM.
rebeltaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 05:49 AM   #2
ivanjt
Guru
ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle dx; eDGe
You really are going to have to 'bite the bullet' and upgrade to Ermine.

The latest ES File Explorer will not work on Dingo and neither will Z4Root, even though it appears to.
ivanjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-24-2011, 01:12 PM   #3
rebeltaz
Connoisseur
rebeltaz will become famous soon enoughrebeltaz will become famous soon enoughrebeltaz will become famous soon enoughrebeltaz will become famous soon enoughrebeltaz will become famous soon enoughrebeltaz will become famous soon enough

I don't know... after the horror stories I've heard, that upgrade scares me! I appreciate the reply, though...
Old 10-24-2011, 01:53 PM   #4
MasterTec
Connoisseur
MasterTec can read faster than his screen refreshesMasterTec can read faster than his screen refreshesMasterTec can read faster than his screen refreshesMasterTec can read faster than his screen refreshesMasterTec can read faster than his screen refreshesMasterTec can read faster than his screen refreshesMasterTec can read faster than his screen refreshesMasterTec can read faster than his screen refreshesMasterTec can read faster than his screen refreshesMasterTec can read faster than his screen refreshesMasterTec can read faster than his screen refreshes

Device: enTourage eDGe Pocket
The upgrade itself isn't the problem. The problem is when people start rooting it and messing with things they probably shouldn't mess with.

For a normal user who has no intentions of playing with settings and files that shouldn't be touched, Ermine is quite safe.
MasterTec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 02:18 PM   #5
rebeltaz
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterTec View Post
The upgrade itself isn't the problem. The problem is when people start rooting it and messing with things they probably shouldn't mess with.

For a normal user who has no intentions of playing with settings and files that shouldn't be touched, Ermine is quite safe.
What I am referring to is the possibility of a catastrophic hardware failure caused simply by installing a software upgrade to the OS - i.e. the WSoD.

And I am not a "normal" user. I am quite fluent in software and hardware as I have been a professional technician (both in computers and consumer electronics) for over 25 years.
Advert
Old 10-24-2011, 07:17 PM   #6
ivanjt
Guru
ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle dx; eDGe
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebeltaz View Post
What I am referring to is the possibility of a catastrophic hardware failure caused simply by installing a software upgrade to the OS - i.e. the WSoD.

And I am not a "normal" user. I am quite fluent in software and hardware as I have been a professional technician (both in computers and consumer electronics) for over 25 years.
Two things you should be aware of.

First the actual number of WSoDs compared to the total number of PEs is very small. Yes, they do get more attention because people turn to here for help when it happens and of those that have suffered a WSoD, many have brought it on themselves by deliberately pushing the video system because they can with the upgrade where they couldn't with Dingo.

Second, your experience should give you some idea of what should and shouldn't be tried. Think of it as someone trying to overclock their computer when the processor and video card are not rated for overclocking - I'm sure you get the picture.

I have an EE and it was upgraded to Ermine three days after the update became available. The only 'problems' I've encountered since then have been the camera not taking reasonable still pictures - the 'green' problem - and the odd times it hasn't come out of hibernation - fixed by pulling the battery.

The WSoD appears to be a PE problem in a very small number of samples. This is most probably caused by the spread of tolerances in the build components, the majority of which would have been weeded out in QC testing in the factory.

Of course non of the above makes your decision any easier, that you must make using your knowledge and experience bearing in mind what you would like to do with your device.
ivanjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 08:11 PM   #7
Filark
Armed with a smile :)
Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: enTourage eDGe & Pocket eDGe, Samsung Galaxy Note II
Hi Taz!

I was scared, too, and put off upgrading as long as I could (until I really wanted it! ). Then I did everything carefully and closed my eyes and crossed my fingers . . . came out the other side and never looked back!

You will know (I think) pretty quickly if you have a bad unit, but since you have had yours for a while now with few (?) problems, chances are very good (95%??) that you will come through clean.

Let us know what you decide!

Last edited by Filark; 10-24-2011 at 08:14 PM.
Filark is offline   Reply With Quote