Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 09-25-2011, 11:59 PM   #1
requiescat
requiescat began at the beginning.

Device: iRex DR800
DR800 indexes for 4+ hours, any recourse?

Hello! I have a used DR800 that I acquired recently. After a little reading I had my husband help me update the firmware to rc3 (?) and to Iņigo's dr800+ software. (I apologize if I am getting the terminology wrong--I'm not very technical. Many thanks to the helpful threads on this forum!) I noticed that the Indexing Files screen comes up for a few minutes after I've added some files to the SDHC card, which is fine. However, after I deleted a couple files through the ereader's interface and attempted to turn it off and on again, I noticed that indexing was taking much longer.

I tried turning the device off, but it goes back to the same indexing screen.

It's been at least 4 hours since the last time I tried to turn it off and I'm a little concerned. I intend to leave it running overnight in the hopes that the process will complete itself, but in case it's still hung on this screen, is there anything I can do to break the process and force it to...not do whatever is causing this? I really like the reading experience when I can actually get to it.
requiescat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 04:08 AM   #2
fekhner
Addict
fekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: DRs, EE, ipad/iphone, Helix
Problems with indexing have been encountered/discussed a couple of times

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=135099
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=127047 from message #14 onwards
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=139330
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=141254

but this is very technical stuff

If I remember correctly (maybe wait for one of the experts to confirm) problems could come from a corrupt global.db file.

What I would do: re-install latest firmware and latest DR800+ (v4), disable "automatic thumbnail generation" in settings, reload all your books
But again, maybe wait for one of the experts for a less radical solution ...
fekhner is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-26-2011, 05:24 AM   #3
Iņigo
Guru
Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: iRex iLiad, iRex DR800S. K4NT. Kobo Aura, Aura One, Libra 2.
Hi,

probably a corrupt database as fekhner already said.

1. disable"automatic thumbnail generation" in advance settings
2. connect DR800 to the computer with USB and delete "global.db" file in SD card root folder (or rename to "global.db.bak" if you want to have a backup)
3. eject/disconnect usb

NOTE: you'll lose all your covers, but you can have them back opening the books

Hope it helps,
Iņigo
Iņigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 11:32 AM   #4
requiescat

how to power off/get computer to recognize card over USB?

Hello! Thanks for the suggestions. Well, after leaving it overnight (12 hours) the indexing was still going on...My next question is, how do I get the DR800 to either power off, or for my computer (I tried both a Mac and a PC) to recognize the card over USB, so I can try these fixes?

Powering off: Pushing the power slider to the left briefly has no effect. Pushing it to the left for 3 seconds so that the light goes off causes the device to go to the reader-sitting-on-bubble screen, then it goes back to indexing. Pushing it to the left for a long time (20 seconds) has the same effect as 3 seconds. I can't seem to get it to restart without going into indexing. I also can't seem to get the device to power off completely--it always goes into indexing.

USB: Before the indexing problem arose, when I plugged the device in and restarted, my computer would be able to read the micro-SDHC card and the device would switch to a screen with the useful tip to eject the card from my computer to resume normal use. However, now, plugging the device into USB at various phases (just after rebooting, during indexing, etc.) has no effect--I can't seem to get in. Do I need to buy a specific reader for the SDHC card and wait until the device runs out of charge to take the card out? (It seems like a bad idea to take it out while the device is powered on.) Because as it stands, I can't find any way of accessing the contents of the card to delete the global.db card.

Sorry for all the questions! I'm very grateful for your help.
Old 09-26-2011, 12:03 PM   #5
fekhner
Addict
fekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animals

If USB access does not work, what will work for sure is to take the microsd card out of the DR (unscrew at the back, be careful when re-inserting not to insert the card under the actual slot), and access it via a card reader, (usual SD card readers will do if you have a suitable adapter piece)

Alternatively, if you do not have a card reader, insert another (preferably empty) microsd card into the reader and try if it boots all the way, after that you can format the new card in settings, and disable thumbnails generation. (you might even try if the old card now works).

Personally I have never waited for the device to run out of charge before taking the card out.
Advert
Old 09-26-2011, 12:18 PM   #6
requiescat

I'll acquire a card reader, then. Thank you!

Normally I would not wait until it ran completely out of charge, but the issue is the device is constantly on (indexing no matter what I do, restarting, etc.) and will not turn off--the only way I can see to get it to turn off is for the charge to run out.
Old 09-26-2011, 12:26 PM   #7
fekhner
Addict

I hope you will not get discouraged, once this is solved you will see that reading on the device is really great fun!
Old 09-26-2011, 09:46 PM   #8
requiescat

Hello! I wanted to report that the device is now working--thank you, fekhner and Iņigo.

What happened was that I used a Dynex Mini Memory Card Reader/Writer to attempt to delete global.db via Mac OS 10.6.8. Mac OS gave me an error message and this attempt apparently deleted the contents of the memory card (!); I couldn't eject the volume and Finder crashed, so I had to power down and remove the card. (I suspect this was my OS but am not certain.) However, when I put the (now-empty) card back into the DR800 and restarted, it started up fine, only a very very brief period of reindexing. Now when I plugged in the USB cable I was able to put my ebooks back on. (This time I put on fewer ebooks; I already turned off the thumbnails.)

Anyway, thank you again! I am already reading some text files with much pleasure.
Old 09-27-2011, 04:15 AM   #9
Iņigo
Guru
Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: iRex iLiad, iRex DR800S. K4NT. Kobo Aura, Aura One, Libra 2.
Quote:
Originally Posted by requiescat View Post
Hello! I wanted to report that the device is now working--thank you, fekhner and Iņigo.

What happened was that I used a Dynex Mini Memory Card Reader/Writer to attempt to delete global.db via Mac OS 10.6.8. Mac OS gave me an error message and this attempt apparently deleted the contents of the memory card (!); I couldn't eject the volume and Finder crashed, so I had to power down and remove the card. (I suspect this was my OS but am not certain.) However, when I put the (now-empty) card back into the DR800 and restarted, it started up fine, only a very very brief period of reindexing. Now when I plugged in the USB cable I was able to put my ebooks back on. (This time I put on fewer ebooks; I already turned off the thumbnails.)

Anyway, thank you again! I am already reading some text files with much pleasure.
congrats

and don't hesitate to put as many books in the SD as you want. It should not be a problem
Iņigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 01:02 AM   #10
requiescat

Update: The problem recurred when I deleted a file (again) and trying to wipe global.db through the card reader actually crashed my husband's computer. However, I switched back to the 2GB card that the seller on eBay included with the DR800, and I have had no problems since. Indexing all my files only took a couple of seconds!

I am left with the conclusion that my 8GB card had some sort of problem--it was a Sandisk card that I got through a discount-of-the-day site (laalo.com) so perhaps I shouldn't be surprised. Either that, or maybe I did something wrong in setting up the card. Regardless, all is well now and I am very happy with this ereader!
Old 10-02-2011, 01:09 PM   #11
fekhner
Addict

It most probably has nothing to do with your current problem, but since I have the same operating system (MacOSX 10.6.8) than you have, let me just tell you that sometimes there are issues to interact with the Linux based DR, not when copying books, but rather when unzipping and installing some applications from the developers in this forum. At some stage dima_tr suggested to use iterm and midnight commander, and I have not had any problems with installing apps ever since.

Here is the relevant discussion:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...t=iterm&page=6

post # 76 (see also #63 and post #94)

Last edited by fekhner; 10-02-2011 at 06:20 PM.