Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-26-2011, 07:54 PM   #1
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
Inside Amazon's warehouse

http://www.mcall.com/news/local/mc-a...001,full.story

From Kindle, use this text-only link:

http://tinyurl.com/4yxuxr9

Quote:
Over the past two months, The Morning Call interviewed 20 current and former warehouse workers who showed pay stubs, tax forms or other proof of employment. They offered a behind-the-scenes glimpse of what it's like to work in the Amazon warehouse, where temperatures soar on hot summer days, production rates are difficult to achieve and the permanent jobs sought by many temporary workers hired by an outside agency are tough to get. . . .

Temporary employees interviewed said few people in their working groups actually made it to a permanent Amazon position. Instead, they said they were pushed harder and harder to work faster and faster until they were terminated, they quit or they got injured.
SteveEisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 04:27 PM   #2
wiccan2
Connoisseur
wiccan2 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'wiccan2 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'wiccan2 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'wiccan2 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'wiccan2 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'wiccan2 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'wiccan2 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'wiccan2 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'wiccan2 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'wiccan2 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'wiccan2 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Kindle 3 - 3g, Samsung Galaxy Note
I have been in this situation in an Amazon UK warehouse. I was employed by and outside agency and even in the cold of winter the temperature soared high. We were only given short breaks in which there was barely any time to eat. The dust was the worst factor for me on top of that the high temperature and the long hours resulted in me getting horrible rashes on my body from the sweat generated. I ended up quitting because I got so ill I was rushed to the hospital from my GP with suspected pneumonia and kept in for monitoring. Even after I had quit i received phone calls asking why I had not shown up to work.

The warehouse where I worked was undergoing some improvements to help people work more efficiently but I can only assume that this will push the targets expected of employees up making the job harder.

At least with my kindle some warehouse worker has one less book to carry.
wiccan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-27-2011, 06:45 PM   #3
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
It's a job. If it doesn't suit you, quit. I've had plenty of crummy jobs, with very crummy working conditions. I didn't complain about it in the media.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 07:06 PM   #4
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
Try detassling corn and weeding beans for a summer.

And God did I love the money.
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 08:16 PM   #5
RDaneel54
Aging Positronic Brain
RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Oasis; iPhone, iPad Mini
First job (at 14) working in a warehouse with no automation and very heavy items to transport from train cars to the warehouse and then to trucks.

Loved the pay though. Bought my first bike with it. Too bad my brother's girlfriend wrecked it.

No A/C in the warehouse, train or truck. The freezer compartment was cold though.
RDaneel54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-27-2011, 09:13 PM   #6
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
The conditions and pace sound a little like what auto assembly plants were like in Henry Ford's time (and maybe still, I don't know). Most auto workers did not last long. But at least those who did last were paid a reasonably commensurate salary. From the little I read about the Foxconn plants where the current generation Kindle is actually made, they may also, taking prevailing Chinese wages into account, work that way.

As a Pennsylvanian, here's my attitude: We are giving Amazon a great deal by allowing them exemption from the sales tax despite their having a big physical presence in the state. The only real justification for this is to bring in good jobs. Amazon should somehow be told that if they don't start making their jobs good permanent ones, the tax deal is off.

I know that they'll then move out of state, as they did in Texas. And I know there's a depression going on, so how picky can you be? And I'm not sure I was even right to start here what could be seen as a political thread having only a tenuous connection to the Kindle. The whole thing is damn frustrating.

Last edited by SteveEisenberg; 09-27-2011 at 09:35 PM.
SteveEisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 10:26 PM   #7
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveEisenberg View Post
As a Pennsylvanian, here's my attitude: We are giving Amazon a great deal by allowing them exemption from the sales tax despite their having a big physical presence in the state. The only real justification for this is to bring in good jobs. Amazon should somehow be told that if they don't start making their jobs good permanent ones, the tax deal is off.
Sales tax is paid by the customer, not Amazon. The only thing the states are asking Amazon to do is collect the tax on the state's behalf. If you want to pay your state's sales tax, there's a box to do so on your state's tax form.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 03:31 AM   #8
xristy
Connoisseur
xristy doesn't litterxristy doesn't litterxristy doesn't litter

Device: iPad
the monied elite thanks you

Quote:
Originally Posted by pidgeon92 View Post
It's a job. If it doesn't suit you, quit. I've had plenty of crummy jobs, with very crummy working conditions. I didn't complain about it in the media.
As a member of the monied elite I really appreciate your attitude. It's a pleasure to pay peanuts for buckets of sweat and get no lip in return
xristy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 04:06 AM   #9
Oletros
Connoisseur
Oletros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Oletros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Oletros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Oletros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Oletros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Oletros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Oletros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Oletros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Oletros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Oletros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Oletros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle NT
Quote:
Yap, I don't know why workers complained when they had to work 16 hours a day or started to work a 12 years old.

Oletros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 09:24 AM   #10
Harry_Y
Addict
Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle DX, Galaxy Tab 2
Quote:
Indeed

When I was in the Navy I worked 12 hrs on, 12 hrs off,
for 7 days a week, hot, dirty, and dangerous work.

Even out side of the Navy I have many times worked at
a job that required long and demanding hours (IT Manager)

So I have been there many times.

The only thing the company owes me is a paycheck in
the amount agreed on, and nothing more. If I want a
better deal then it is up to Me to go and find a new job.

I am selling my time and talent, the company is
buying it at the agreed upon rate plain and simple.
Harry_Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 09:44 AM   #11
Oletros
Connoisseur
Oletros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Oletros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Oletros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Oletros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Oletros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Oletros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Oletros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Oletros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Oletros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Oletros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Oletros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle NT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry_Y View Post
The only thing the company owes me is a paycheck in
the amount agreed on, and nothing more. If I want a
better deal then it is up to Me to go and find a new job.

I am selling my time and talent, the company is
buying it at the agreed upon rate plain and simple.
Well, in other countries, the company not only owes you a paycheck, but they also owe you to agree with some health and safety laws and if someone thinks they're not accomplished they can complain.

But hey, perhaps in USA they don't have such laws
Oletros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 10:52 AM   #12
bfollowell
Fanatic
bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 Nook & Samsung Galaxy Tab S 10.5
Quote:
Originally Posted by abookreader View Post
Try detassling corn and weeding beans for a summer.

And God did I love the money.
Or cutting tobacco, baling hay, working in a paper cup plant right next to a wax treater that's 105 deg with no air conditioning...

Come on guys. It's called work for a reason.

In the infamous words of Red Forman, or as I like to him, Dad, "Work is not about fun; it's about work! It's about seeing how much crap you can take from the boss man! And then…takin' some more! If it wasn't work, they'd call it 'Super wonderful crazy fun time,' or 'Skippedy-do!'"

Last edited by bfollowell; 09-28-2011 at 12:29 PM.
bfollowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 12:12 PM   #13
Harry_Y
Addict
Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle DX, Galaxy Tab 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfollowell View Post

Come on guys. It's call work for a reason.

Bingo
Harry_Y is offline   Reply With Quote