Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

View Poll Results: The MobileRead Literary Book Club August 2011 Nominations
I would like to nominate myself for the Member Lottery (please read the first post before selecting) 5 62.50%
Null 3 37.50%
Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-22-2011, 03:08 PM   #1
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
Post The MobileRead Literary Book Club August 2011 Nominations

Help us select the work that the MobileRead Literary Book Club will read for August 2011.

The nominations poll will run through July 25.

The category for this month is:

Member Lottery - A member is chosen by random to select the month's work

In order to be eligible, a member needs to have voted or nominated a work in every month since the last Member Lottery. Since this is the first Member Lottery, a member needs to have voted or nominated in June and July.

Each participant may nominate themselves only, if they wish. There are no seconds, thirds or so on.

To nominate yourself, please vote in the poll (I am using a poll to make the timing of the nominations closing simple). To help, please also try to make a post providing instances of your votes/nominations for June and July (simply name one work you voted/nominated for each of June and July).

Once the poll is over, a member will be randomly chosen from the nominees on July 25. There is a randomisation website that I think will work (this month will be the test drive). There is an e-mail option so that I can make a list of people to have the results sent to before I even know the outcome. Anyone can volunteer to receive an e-mail of the results, nominee or not. However, I think there may be a limit on the number of e-mails, possibly only five or ten, so first come first serve. To volunteer to verify results, you can post here and PM me with your e-mail address. If no one volunteers to receive a results e-mail then everyone will have to trust me with the results.

After the member is chosen, I will start a new vote/confirmation thread, and the winner will need to post their choice for the August selection. The member may choose any work they consider "literature". Once they have posted their choice, the work will need TEN confirmations to declare it our monthly selection. The criteria for confirming is to agree that the work is considered or seems to be "literature", whether or not it is appealing to the one confirming.

Voting/Confirmation will be open for three days. Once the selection has ten confirmations, the process will be over for August's selection. However, if the selection does not receive enough votes, then we will revert to a "second-chance" month. The five non-winning selections with the most votes from previous months will be put to a short vote and the winner will be our selection.

This is a trial month, and there may be changes in future Member Lottery months once we see how well this sort of a selection process and these particular guidelines work.

What is literature for the purposes of this book club? A well-regarded work. Often (but not always) it is important, challenging, critically acclaimed, has a deeper meaning, makes one think. It may be from ancient times to today; it may be from anywhere in the world; it may be obscure or famous, short or long; it may be a story, a novel, a play, a poem, an essay or another written form. If you are unsure if a work would be considered literature, post it and ask. This is an educational (and enjoyable) process for us all.

The floor is now open to nominations!
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 07:38 AM   #2
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

Sure I'd like to pick next month's book. So I will be first to nominate myself. Also maybe the last? I would have preferred a random selection among all who participated in both the book selection and the book discussion from prior months, but there it is. Let's give the idea a chance.

July nomination participation https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1625086#post1625086

July selection discussion participation https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1663885#post1663885

June nomination participation https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1547400#post1547400

June selection discussion participation https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1613558#post1613558
Advert
Old 07-23-2011, 09:24 AM   #3
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
Why not? I should be eligible, so I'll nominate myself

Edit:
Voted for The Master and Margerita - and participated in the discussion.
Voted for Paradise Lost

Last edited by Ea; 07-23-2011 at 11:31 AM.
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 11:27 AM   #4
beppe
Grand Sorcerer
beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3, Ipod4, IPad2
Exactly.
As I am eligible, I really would like to be chosen, therefore I nominate myself.
"Yes, I would like to select what we read this month and I will be here to do so"

Master and Marguerite
Paradise Lost

Last edited by beppe; 07-23-2011 at 11:35 AM. Reason: making it clear that if I am chosen, I will do what is expected from me.
beppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 11:31 AM   #5
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamlet53 View Post
I would have preferred a random selection among all who participated in both the book selection and the book discussion from prior months, but there it is.
If it were randomly selected among everyone who participated recently, the selected person may not show up to choose a work. This "nomination" process is simply to say "Yes, I would like to select what we read this month and I will be here to do so".
Advert
Old 07-23-2011, 11:55 AM   #6
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by sun surfer View Post
If it were randomly selected among everyone who participated recently, the selected person may not show up to choose a work. This "nomination" process is simply to say "Yes, I would like to select what we read this month and I will be here to do so".
Quite right. Also something else I thought of since my post. That is the work that would be required for you to go back through all the nomination posts for previous months and make a list of everyone who had participated. I was just feeling trepidation about being the first and perhaps only one willing to put my name out there. It's alright now though.
Old 07-23-2011, 12:44 PM   #7
fantasyfan
Wizard
fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, 4G, iPad Air 2, iPhone IE
I nominated Paradise Lost last month and Persuasion the month before, so i guess I'm eligible. I therefore nominate myself to select the work we read this month and will be here to do so.

Last edited by fantasyfan; 07-23-2011 at 12:49 PM.
fantasyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 01:52 PM   #8
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
I'm going to join this group of fine humble folk and nominate myself.

June: nominated and voted for A Question of Upbringing.
July: voted for Don Quixote.

As well as seconding/thirding/etc a bunch of other books, both months.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 10:44 PM   #9
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦

With a little over a half day left, does anyone want to receive an e-mail of the random pick results? So far no one has spoken up. I'm fine with that, but everyone will have to trust me alone with the results if that's the case. If anyone does want an e-mail, I need a PM with your e-mail address by the time the poll is over.

Also, five people are more than enough for the lottery, but if anyone else is interested but hesitant, I encourage you to throw your name in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamlet53 View Post
I was just feeling trepidation about being the first and perhaps only one willing to put my name out there. It's alright now though.
Thank you for being the first and getting the ball rolling.
Old 07-24-2011, 11:42 PM   #10
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
I'd love to be considered, since both of the books I nominated came a close second I nominated On the Beach the first month, and I forget what I nominated second month but I voted for Bleak House (which I am reading now and did not yet finish!)
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 12:46 PM   #11
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦

OK, so far we have six. I'm including ficbot despite not voting on the poll because I think ficbot's intent was clear. I'm not including Falcao and paola, as I'm assuming you two just voted Null for fun, but if either of you do want to be nominated, please let me know in a post before the poll is over. We have a few more hours...
Old 07-25-2011, 12:54 PM   #12
Vandy
...always be humble.
Vandy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vandy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vandy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vandy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vandy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vandy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vandy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vandy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vandy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vandy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vandy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 5s, iPod Touch 3rd Gen, Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle Fire
Nominations Results

Sorry for this post. I jumped to reserve it before I read the whole message. Please disregard this post. Thank you.

Last edited by Vandy; 07-25-2011 at 01:12 PM.
Vandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 03:44 PM   #13
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by sun surfer View Post
I'm not including Falcao and paola, as I'm assuming you two just voted Null for fun, but if either of you do want to be nominated, please let me know in a post before the poll is over.
oops, sorry sunsurfer, I just assumed that the "null" option was for those who were ineligible (I only joined the club in the second month, so only proposed and voted for the July read) - now I'm thinking that most likely you could not have a single option for your poll?!
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 04:09 PM   #14
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦

Yes, I had to have two options, but no worries paola.
Old 07-25-2011, 04:18 PM   #15
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦

OK, here is how the lottery will work. There are six nominees. I will list them in the order they posted. I will use a random number generator to choose a number 1-6. The person associated with the corresponding number will be the winner. Since no one requested an e-mail, there will be no verification, only trust.

Here are the nominees:

1) Hamlet53
2) Ea
3) beppe
4) fantasyfan
5) issybird
6) ficbot

Alright, I'm off to generate the number...

Tags
book club, literary, literature, member lottery, nominations