Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 04-30-2010, 07:46 PM   #1
sol_barbez
sol_barbez has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.sol_barbez has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.sol_barbez has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.sol_barbez has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.sol_barbez has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-600
Calibre 0.6.50 using 100% cpu

Is anyone else experiencing this.
Latest version of calibre 0.6.50 is running at 100% cpu and it fails to fetch any news.
I can still transfer books, but understandably it's all very like.

I'm on ubuntu 10.04 final.

I only have this problem after upgrading calibre to latest version. The process that's running 100% seems to be /opt/calibre/loader.
Here a little process-info:
Code:
lars@lars-ubuntu:~$ ps aux |grep calibre
lars      1803  0.0  0.0   4088   596 ?        S    01:24   0:00 /bin/sh /usr/bin/calibre
lars      1806  3.2  8.2 828888 211832 ?       Sl   01:24   0:31 /opt/calibre/loader
lars      1828  0.0  0.0   4088   596 ?        S    01:25   0:00 /bin/sh /opt/calibre/calibre-parallel
lars      1831  0.0  1.0 233036 27340 ?        S    01:25   0:00 /opt/calibre/loader
lars      1832  0.0  0.0   4088   600 ?        S    01:25   0:00 /bin/sh /opt/calibre/calibre-parallel
lars      1835  0.0  1.0 233040 27340 ?        S    01:25   0:00 /opt/calibre/loader
lars      2192  0.0  0.0   4088   600 ?        S    01:38   0:00 /bin/sh /opt/calibre/calibre-parallel
lars      2195 47.9  2.9 372396 74680 ?        Sl   01:38   1:13 /opt/calibre/loader
lars      2204  0.0  0.0   4088   600 ?        S    01:39   0:00 /bin/sh /opt/calibre/calibre-parallel
lars      2207  0.7  1.0 233040 27340 ?        S    01:39   0:00 /opt/calibre/loader
Other than that please tell me if there's anything you would like to see.

Oh. It seems to relax when it stopped fetching news (because they all failed), must be related to newsfetching then.
sol_barbez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 07:54 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
what error did it fail fetching news with?
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 08:47 PM   #3
sol_barbez
sol_barbez has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.sol_barbez has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.sol_barbez has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.sol_barbez has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.sol_barbez has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

If I remember correctly something like failed to retrieve. I know you can't use that info. But my question is.
Du you wan't me to post on of the VERY detailed fail logs from a failed source in this thread? I'm not at that computer right now. But I'll do it later. Maybe you wan't all of them?
Old 04-30-2010, 08:55 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
If you want help, I need the log
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 09:50 PM   #5
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by sol_barbez View Post
Is anyone else experiencing this.
Latest version of calibre 0.6.50 is running at 100% cpu
Looks like it's time to upgrade to the newest release.

Try 0.6.51
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 07:25 AM   #6
sol_barbez

Ok. I updated to version 0.6.51. It's still very heavy on the cpu but now it does fetch news without errors (unfortunately), that means that I can't supply you with errors from mailfetching.

If you suspect that there might be an error and you wan't me to test something (on ubuntu 10.04, 64bit) - just tell me.
At least it works now.
Old 06-14-2010, 07:09 PM   #7
flyash
Groupie
flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I'm running v 0.7.1, and I also find that Calibre is very CPU intensive, sometimes taking up 50% of the CPU. My system is noticeably faster after I close down Calibre.
flyash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 09:41 PM   #8
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyash View Post
I'm running v 0.7.1, and I also find that Calibre is very CPU intensive, sometimes taking up 50% of the CPU. My system is noticeably faster after I close down Calibre.
If calibre is just sitting there it uses essentially 0% cpu just like any other idle process. If you go to fetch news, convert a book, or any other calibre activity it does use all the cpu it needs or is allowed. In theory if you go under Preferences and change job priority to low its processes should run more in the background allowing other processes top billing.

Add to this change by starting calibre (I use Windows XP) with the belownormal switch as placed in the attached batch file mostly created by itimpi and calibre will no longer slow your machine down.
Attached Files
File Type: bat CalibreRun2.bat (4.0 KB, 284 views)
Old 06-14-2010, 10:08 PM   #9
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
I am with dwanthny on this.
Calibre does grab a lot of CPU when it is doing something. Then again, it is doing a lot

Just sitting there (no jobs running) it blips to 1 or 2% (probably polling for a device being attached). It shold not be pegged out when idle.

An overly aggressive A/V program that scans every file in use will bog things down.
I exclude my Library from active scans: The books were scanned when I imported/downloaded them and still get scanned on a Full scan.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 10:22 PM   #10
flyash
Groupie
flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Thanks dwanthny. I'll make the change to job priority and see how that goes before using the batch file.
flyash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 10:33 PM   #11
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyash View Post
Thanks dwanthny. I'll make the change to job priority and see how that goes before using the batch file.
The batch file is nice and has a lot of options but all you need to test is the last line. Run it from a batch file or from the command line.

START /belownormal Calibre

This will start calibre at a lower priority from the beginning and allow other apps priority. This means if you have a large number of books you want to convert calibre will allow you to do other things while the books are being converted. Of course because of the lower priority calibre will take longer to convert the books.