Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-27-2008, 02:08 PM   #1
druthven
druthven began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Search Feature doesnt work on converted ebooks

when i do a key word search it only shows results from the ebooks that are purchased from the ebook store, it doesnt return results from the ebooks that i make from PDF's. I noticed that the purchased ebooks are in the extension .LRS, all the eboks i made are in .LRF format, does anyone kow if this is the reason it doesnt get searched?.. Does anyone know how to make your own ebooks from .pdfs that are keyword searchable?

thanks
erik
druthven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 07:41 PM   #2
Liviu_5
Books and more books
Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.

Device: Nook Color, Itouch, Nokia770, Sony 650, Sony 700(dead), Ebk(given)
Quote:
Originally Posted by druthven View Post
when i do a key word search it only shows results from the ebooks that are purchased from the ebook store, it doesnt return results from the ebooks that i make from PDF's. I noticed that the purchased ebooks are in the extension .LRS, all the eboks i made are in .LRF format, does anyone kow if this is the reason it doesnt get searched?.. Does anyone know how to make your own ebooks from .pdfs that are keyword searchable?

thanks
erik
Search does not work on image books. So if you have image pdf's or you make an image lrf say using BD, search aint' going to work.

Anyway I would recommend to just load the pdf as is on the 700 and if it's text based the search will work - to check, try search in Adobe or ADE and if search works there it should work on the 700 too.

LRX is encrypted LRF and it has nothing to do with search.
Liviu_5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 10:33 PM   #3
druthven
druthven began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
ok i will try that, i originally converted the pdf's to lrf because i use to have a PRS 500, and regular untouched PDF's were pretty much unreadable, so the workaround was to convert them to LRF, but now i have a PRS 700 so maybe the native PDF, is better, will try and post back incase anyone else is having same problem

thx
druthven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 11:13 PM   #4
Liviu_5
Books and more books
Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.

Device: Nook Color, Itouch, Nokia770, Sony 650, Sony 700(dead), Ebk(given)
If you start with an image pdf (scan) there's nothing to do unless you ocr it.

If you start with a text pdf on which Adobe search works, it all depends how you convert. You can try and extract text with as much formatting as possible using this or that program - for me the best overall was just text extract and then clean up with E-book Tidy - and then convert the text/rtf/html whatever file to lrf with Calibre and then search works or you can "print to lrf" using this or that program and then you get image lrf's on which search does not work.

I used to do lots of pdf extract for the Nokia 770 and PRS 500 since both cannot handle pdf's well, but for the 700 I just dump the pdf's, maybe changing the metadata first if not correct and it's so much easier.

I used to run from pdf's as much as I could, but now I started liking them even when other formats are available.
Liviu_5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 05:30 PM   #5
eruthven
eruthven began at the beginning.

Device: Sony e-reader 700
success

Well obviously they have really beefed up the .pdf support on the new ereader(what im using now), i was using the 500 series before , which required me to convert all the .pdf's to be readerable. Now, i just keep them in .pdf format put them on the ereader, change the text to Medium and they look great the the search works great!, really needed the search cause its full of web programming ebooks, and needed the search to reference different topics, thx for ur help!
eruthven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 06:02 PM   #6
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Cue "Sony isn't an eReader" messages now...
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 08:34 PM   #7
Andybaby
Wizard
Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-700
well my mother has called my Mp3 players (last one, Iaudio X5, which i bought maybe 3 years ago) has always been an IPod. its not an ipod, but its an Ipod none the less.

and quite a few times people have asked me, Hey is that a Kindle. I say know. its like a Kindle.

I would call my 700 an Ereader before i would call it a Kindle.
Andybaby is offline   Reply With Quote