Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 04-13-2013, 05:24 AM   #31
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Beta available

Kovid has made a beta version containing the new virtual library stuff. It is based on 0.9.27. The installation files can be found at http://calibre-ebook.com/downloads/betas/.

The point of the beta is to be sure that I haven't broken anything when making these changes. It would be particularly helpful if you try the various plugins you use. Of course, usability comments are also welcome, keeping in mind the UI and design guidelines that Kovid laid out in post 12.

The goal is to include this stuff in the next calibre release.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 05:56 AM   #32
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
It opened up to my existing preset virtual library fine. I then went to Preferences - Behavior and received the below error.

Code:
calibre, version 0.9.27
ERROR: Unhandled exception: <b>AttributeError</b>:'ConfigWidget' object has no attribute 'opt_virtual_lib_on_startup'

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\preferences\main.py", line 282, in show_plugin
  File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\preferences\behavior.py", line 56, in genesis
  File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\preferences\__init__.py", line 268, in register
  File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\preferences\__init__.py", line 98, in __init__
AttributeError: 'ConfigWidget' object has no attribute 'opt_virtual_lib_on_startup'
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 06:49 AM   #33
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorOhh View Post
It opened up to my existing preset virtual library fine. I then went to Preferences - Behavior and received the below error.
I forgot to compile the .ui files for preferences, when generating the betas. I'll upload fixed versions in a bit.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 10:01 AM   #34
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
calibre, version 0.9.27
ERROR: No search: There is no current search to use

I ticked the circled : This item name also appears in 'Edit Virtual Library' and 'Additional Restriction' (where I had this before I installed the beta)

XP 32bit SP3
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Virt.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	19.2 KB
ID:	104296  
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 10:49 AM   #35
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
calibre, version 0.9.27

I ticked the circled : This item name also appears in 'Edit Virtual Library' and 'Additional Restriction' (where I had this before I installed the beta)

XP 32bit SP3
Are you sure that you didn't click the line above the circled item? That message appears if you click "*current search" with the search box empty.

If you clicked the "Formats True" line and got that error, then I need a set of steps to reproduce it. Nothing I have tried does it, and looking at the code doesn't open any doors.
Old 04-13-2013, 10:54 AM   #36
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
@DoctorOhh: The updated builds are uploaded, you should be able to use Preferences->Behavior again.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 10:55 AM   #37
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
Are you sure that you didn't click the line above the circled item? That message appears if you click "*current search" with the search box empty.

If you clicked the "Formats True" line and got that error, then I need a set of steps to reproduce it. Nothing I have tried does it, and looking at the code doesn't open any doors.
I could have klutzed this.
Why does this line appear? I just loaded the beta and was exploring?

Another question on the UI
I understand the use of Tick(s) at the first level. But Using a tick instead of a 'radio button' for saved search selection where only one is the rule?
Old 04-13-2013, 10:55 AM   #38
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
@DoctorOhh: The updated builds are uploaded, you should be able to use Preferences->Behavior again.
Thanks, access restored.

Quote:
calibre, version 0.9.27
I only get this error (as expected) when clicking on the *current search line without a current search.

I can't check my original virtual library because I recreated it. What it had in the search area was "Finished Library" which in theory pointed to a saved search called "Finished Library" I don't recall if I clicked it or not.

@chaley See attached, It doesn't matter to me one way or the other, but as a user of the restrict to feature for a long time I expected all of the "additional restriction" items to be translated directly as virtual libraries in the new setup. Since I was using them as a top level restriction.

Update: Compose my thoughts and three other messages pop-up.

Further update: I deleted some Saved searches, but those Saved searches were not removed from the Additional restriction list. Is this list a history type list with a finite number allowed before they roll off the end?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	restrictions.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	65.8 KB
ID:	104298  

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 04-13-2013 at 11:43 AM.
Old 04-13-2013, 11:06 AM   #39
theducks
Well trained by Cats

I was a Klutz ... It works correctly
Old 04-13-2013, 11:48 AM   #40
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
@chaley See attached, It doesn't matter to me one way or the other, but as a user of the restrict to feature for a long time I expected all of the "additional restriction" items to be translated directly as virtual libraries in the new setup. Since I was using them as a top level restriction.
This is a tough one that I debated while writing the code. If you used restrictions as VLs as you did and if most (perhaps all) of the saved searches were restrictions, then indeed it would make sense to populate the VLs from the saved searches. However, if you used saved searches without using restrictions or used some saved searches as "convenience VLs" then populating the VL list from the searches would be wrong. I ended up deciding that it was easy enough to create the VLs you want so I didn't migrate the saved searches to VLs.

Note that if you apply an "additional restriction" then create a VL, the search for the new VL is prepopulated with that restriction. You still need to name it, but that is easy enough using copy/paste.

Quote:
Update: Compose my thoughts and three other messages pop-up.
That happens to me a lot. I end up answering a question that was answered by someone else several minutes ago.

Last edited by chaley; 04-13-2013 at 11:58 AM. Reason: fix malformed quote
Old 04-13-2013, 11:58 AM   #41
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Another question on the UI
I understand the use of Tick(s) at the first level. But Using a tick instead of a 'radio button' for saved search selection where only one is the rule?
Menus have specific and limited behavior. For example, they cannot have tool tips and cannot operate as radio button groups. They are really just a collection of (icon, text) pairs. I wanted to indicate which item was last selected, so I chose to use the check icon. I suppose that I could use filled and empty dot icons to make it look like a radio button group, but I am not convinced that doing so would be clearer than the check. It might be worse, because the selection behavior would not be what is expected with a radio button group.

The alternative would be to create a bunch of new dialog boxes that contain radio button groups, but then they would have dialog behavior. In this situation I prefer the speed of being able to navigate the menus without having to open and close dialogs.
Old 04-13-2013, 12:07 PM   #42
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Further update: I deleted some Saved searches, but those Saved searches were not removed from the Additional restriction list. Is this list a history type list with a finite number allowed before they roll off the end?
This is probably a bug.

The additional restrictions submenu is supposed to be built on demand from the list of saved searches. That list is kept in an undisplayed combo-box for compatibility with previous versions, and I expected it to be maintained by the existing code. I probably broke updating that list.

--- After testing

I can't make it do this. What I tried:

1) Create a saved search.
2) restart calibre
3) Verify that the new saved search is in the Additional Restrictions list
4) Delete the saved search. I used both Manage Saved Searches and right click on the search.
5) Verify that the saved search is gone. It is.

What are you doing differently?
Old 04-13-2013, 02:22 PM   #43
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Menus have specific and limited behavior. For example, they cannot have tool tips and cannot operate as radio button groups. They are really just a collection of (icon, text) pairs. I wanted to indicate which item was last selected, so I chose to use the check icon. I suppose that I could use filled and empty dot icons to make it look like a radio button group, but I am not convinced that doing so would be clearer than the check. It might be worse, because the selection behavior would not be what is expected with a radio button group.

The alternative would be to create a bunch of new dialog boxes that contain radio button groups, but then they would have dialog behavior. In this situation I prefer the speed of being able to navigate the menus without having to open and close dialogs.

That explains the Why.

I agree, Leave it, it works.
Old 04-13-2013, 07:49 PM   #44
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired

Apparent user error.

Quote:
I can't make it do this. What I tried:

1) Create a saved search.
2) restart calibre
3) Verify that the new saved search is in the Additional Restrictions list
4) Delete the saved search. I used both Manage Saved Searches and right click on the search.
5) Verify that the saved search is gone. It is.

What are you doing differently?
What I was doing was testing things after being up all night. I (thought I) deleted a couple of saved searches (using manage saved searches), restarted calibre and the restrictions didn't delete.

I just tried it now (after waking to start my day) and the saved searches I thought I deleted were there and this time it worked fine.

Ignore previous report.
Old 04-14-2013, 03:01 AM   #45
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

When you create a new VL you can click on a link to help construct a search from authors, tags, etc. I am considering adding saved searches to that list.

Question 1: is it worth the trouble? Probably, but every choice adds just that much more complexity.

Question 2: if added, then should the search text be populated with a reference to the saved search (search:"foo") or with the search that "foo" contains (e.g., author:bar or author:mumble)?

Populating with the search preserves the indirection, is both a good and bad thing. The good: the VL will follow changes to the search, which the user might expect when changing the search. The bad: the VL will follow changes to the search, which might confuse things if the user has forgotten that the search is referenced in the VL. Deleting the search will break the VL.

Copying the underlying search removes the coupling. The user would see what is happening when the VL is created, but could easily not understand the ramifications.

I tend toward copying the underlying search string in order to avoid future mysteries if the saved search is changed or deleted, but can be easily convinced to do it the other way. Thoughts?