Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 09-03-2008, 09:37 PM   #1
Berni
Enthusiast
Berni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Berni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Berni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Berni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Berni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Berni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Berni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Berni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Berni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Berni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Berni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: mio
iTouch -- info desperately needed

I am in urgent need of a new ebook reader as my Palm has died (dropped accidently). The Sony readers and other like Kindle are not available in Australia. the iPhone is available but to limited phone providers and costs $799 here plus expensive online costs. I only just learned about the iTouch and as I only want a ebook reader could this do the job for me. I have Stanza installed on my laptop -- can I load my ebooks to the iTouch through a usb cable or can I access the app store through my internet connection on my computer. I do not want to leave my phone provider as I rarely use a mobile phone and cannot afford the very expensive monthly charges for the iPhone and data download.
If someone could push me in the way of information I would really appreciate this. Thanks Bernie
Berni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 09:55 PM   #2
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
Hey Berni--I have an iPod Touch with Stanza installed on it. (I also have e-reader installed). You can transfer books to the Touch from your desktop over a wireless internet connection. It took me a few times before I finally got the hang of it, but once you do, it's pretty easy.

Hope this helps!

dordale
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 10:42 PM   #3
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berni View Post
I am in urgent need of a new ebook reader as my Palm has died (dropped accidently). The Sony readers and other like Kindle are not available in Australia.
I think we have some Aussies here that have bought the Sony reader.

If you really want a dedicated reader to do long sessions on then I would highly recommend an eInk device... or something larger than the iPod. In Aus you should be able to get a Sony, CyBook or BeBook.

But, if you want something to read on the go, when you are out and also can take advantage of the other iPod touch features such as MP3 player, Address Book and other apps then the touch is OK... but I wouldn't buy it as a primary eBook reader. Of course, that's my opinion.

BOb

Last edited by pilotbob; 09-04-2008 at 12:06 PM.
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 01:16 AM   #4
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

pilotBob--I'm in full agreement with you! I love my iPod Touch--and it does suffice for a reading device in a pinch. But, if I had to give up either my Touch or my Sony PRS505--I'd lose the Touch in a heart beat!

dordale
Old 09-04-2008, 01:26 AM   #5
GntlmnBndt
Zealot
GntlmnBndt doesn't litterGntlmnBndt doesn't litter

Device: iPod Touch, iPad
You may not want to rush out and buy one this weekend. Apple has an event scheduled for Tuesday, and the rumor sites expect a refresh of much of the iPod line. Assuming a new iTouch is on the agenda, even if you don't like it, it may bring down the prices of the left over stock of the old models.

The Bandit
GntlmnBndt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 03:07 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
As the owner of an iPod Touch myself, I honestly could not recommend it as an eBook reader. If you want a hand-held device (rather than a 6" eInk device) a Palm or Pocket PC is far, far better, both in terms of price and in terms of flexibility and range of reading software available.

However, a dedicated device such as a Sony Reader, CyBook, etc, is MUCH better. They are easily available world-wide.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 05:51 AM   #7
Berni
Enthusiast
Berni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Berni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Berni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Berni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Berni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Berni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Berni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Berni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Berni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Berni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Berni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: mio
Thanks for the info - looks like it could do the trick - i am used to reading on a small device, used a Mio before I got the Palm and was so sorry to break the Palm. Berni
Berni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 07:41 AM   #8
Dajala
Enthusiast
Dajala began at the beginning.

Device: Palm TX, Sony PRS-505
Berni - you can get a Sony 505 sent to Australia if you buy from: http://www.bhphotovideo.com

Mine arrived at my place in Canberra 3 days after ordering.
Dajala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 09:01 AM   #9
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Guys, read his lips: Berni's cool reading on smaller devices! If the iPod works for you, go for it! (I'm personally keeping an eye out for e-book reading apps for my new phone, an LG Dare... not that I need to use it for e-book reading, but what the hey!)
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 09:49 AM   #10
Azayzel
Cache Ninja!
Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500, HTC Shift, iPod Touch, iPaq 4150, TC1100, Panasonic WordsGear
Since the App Store launch, there have been a ton of need apps sent out directed toward reading digital content. While I have a Sony Reader, it's more or less for home or long road trips, the iPod Touch is for out and about day trips and train trips around Tokyo. I've been using handheld portable device since the original Palm Pilot Pro and I can tell you that the screen on the Touch beats the heck out of anything else out there. While Windows Mobile might have a larger range of supported formats, if you're looking for PDF support or RTF/DOC support, then stick with the Touch. In my opinion, it's the best for reading on, especially if it's a PDF that's not reflowable; i.e., you can just flip to landscape and pinch-adjust the screen until you're at a comfortable level of viewing.

While there isn't any way to view LIT files on an iPod Touch yet, I think that once M$ sees the amount it can make in microtransactions from it's competitor, you might see one in the future... or some crafty fellow/lady will make a port and you can get it there. While I love both my Sony Reader and my iPod Touch, I have to go against the earliest comment and say I'd get rid of the Reader before the Touch simply because of the massive range of things I can do with my Touch where as my Reader serves one simple purpose, reading books (and does that quite beautifully, so why would I have to choose?).

Whatever your decision, good luck and do your research. Cheers!

Edit: Ok, I guess you can view LIT files through Stanza. Here's a link to the list of file types supported by Stanza from the source. Check out the video presentation of it running on the iPod Touch/iPhone, looks like I might have to check it out too!

http://www.lexcycle.com/supported-formats

Last edited by Azayzel; 09-04-2008 at 09:58 AM. Reason: Did a little research on Stanza...
Azayzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 10:31 AM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azayzel View Post
I've been using handheld portable device since the original Palm Pilot Pro and I can tell you that the screen on the Touch beats the heck out of anything else out there.
I must, with the greatest respect, disagree with you. The iPod Touch has a perfectly standard 480x320 "half VGA" LCD screen, exactly the same as is used on many PDAs. It is a very nice screen, I agree, but it's neither better nor worse than such a screen on any other machine.

I honestly don't think that the Touch makes a particularly good bookreader because:

1. The battery life is poor compared with many PDAs - you'll get around 4-5h usage reading. My iPaq PDA will give me at least double that, plus it has a replaceable battery so I can carry a spare battery if I'm going on a long trip.

2. The range of reading software is currently poor. This will undoubtedly change in the future, but at present there's a hugely wider range of software available for both Palm and Pocket PC devices.

3. You have to jump through hoops to get content onto the device, rather than simply copying files via USB as you can with any other machine.

The iPod Touch is a very nice device indeed - I use mine for all sorts of things - but, IMHO at least, there are much better portable devices around if you want something to use primarily as an eBook reader.
Old 09-04-2008, 10:57 AM   #12
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
4. (my major gripe) You have to scroll by swiping or tapping - no convenient side buttons or scroll wheels on the device.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 11:32 AM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by igorsk View Post
4. (my major gripe) You have to scroll by swiping or tapping - no convenient side buttons or scroll wheels on the device.
Good point, igorsk - as I've stated elsewhere, I too prefer hardware buttons to a touch screen for reading books; I don't like reading on screens with fingerprints.
Old 09-04-2008, 01:06 PM   #14
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Quote:
Originally Posted by igorsk View Post
Yeah, but he's USED to tapping the screen, since he had a Palm. eReader on the Touch supports swiping OR tapping (setup option), and Stanza uses tapping.

Compared to a Palm, the only major drawback I see to an iTouch is the battery life. [ I have an iPhone, which is what I'm basing my comment on. ]
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 07:25 PM   #15
dordale
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by badgoodDeb View Post
Yeah, but he's USED to tapping the screen, since he had a Palm. eReader on the Touch supports swiping OR tapping (setup option), and Stanza uses tapping.

Compared to a Palm, the only major drawback I see to an iTouch is the battery life. [ I have an iPhone, which is what I'm basing my comment on. ]
One difference between tapping/swiping on the iPod Touch as compared to a palm device is that you use your fingers on the Touch--on the palm you use a stylus. So, the palm screen definitely doesn't have the same propensity for getting smudged as the Touch.

dordale

Tags
duck!