Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 12-19-2012, 03:00 PM   #121
rgeorg
Guru
rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3/3G(2x), Glo HD, Amazon Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by new View Post
I think you could write a novel about your parents and you! Go for it. Sounds very exciting. How did you end up living in Europe? Your parents in Florida?

Actually glad to hear the KFHD is better than the Nexus 7. I have finally tamed my KFHD to behave better with battery life. Force close Audible. No launchers for me either. Even the SGP5 doesn't need a launcher. I am quite happy with the way it is.

Of course when I use the KFHD and the SGP5 in the same day I am looking for the star (favorites) at the bottom right hand screen to get to my favorites on the SGP5, it doesn't have it!

Ipad will be a cinch, I have the Ipod Touch and it is so similar to the other toys it will be easy.
I don't like to weigh down a small device with layers, it can slow things down. The Favorites list can be handy - and probably enough for me.

Tell me, do you use the KFHD and the SGP5 for different things? If so, why? I am trying to guess if I will really need another (besides the SGP5) tablet. Well, I know that honestly I do not "need" it. I am trying to rationalize it as a "evening". or low-light, ereader - instead of buying a Paperwhite - plus it can also do other things (view epubs, comics and PDFs).

Glad to hear that about iPad, figured ease-of-use.

Hubbie is Greek and so here we are here in the middle of the economic crisis storm. We met in the USA during college, about 30+ yrs ago. Married and lived in the USA for 15 years and been here 17 years. I enjoy returning to the USA, and Greece is lovely also.

Thanks for all your comments!
rgeorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 03:46 PM   #122
new
K3, K4B, KDX, KFHD, PW1&2
new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4B, KDX3G, KFHD, PW1, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgeorg View Post
I don't like to weigh down a small device with layers, it can slow things down. The Favorites list can be handy - and probably enough for me.

Tell me, do you use the KFHD and the SGP5 for different things? If so, why? I am trying to guess if I will really need another (besides the SGP5) tablet. Well, I know that honestly I do not "need" it. I am trying to rationalize it as a "evening". or low-light, ereader - instead of buying a Paperwhite - plus it can also do other things (view epubs, comics and PDFs).

Glad to hear that about iPad, figured ease-of-use.

Hubbie is Greek and so here we are here in the middle of the economic crisis storm. We met in the USA during college, about 30+ yrs ago. Married and lived in the USA for 15 years and been here 17 years. I enjoy returning to the USA, and Greece is lovely also.

Thanks for all your comments!
Lets see you asked why I have SGP5 and KFHD. Well blame it on Blossom, lol. No I read on the KFHD, and found out don't really like Audible on KFHD. Use Moon + reader to read my books (actually TSS) on the SGP5. Listen to audiobooks mp3 on the SGP5. I also love the apps (guitar, ukulele) on the SGP5. Take nice videos on the SGP5, and pictures.

So the SGP5 is nice and compact, and has android that does more. Oh I forgot I use Google Talk (Talkatone app) and Google voice and it works better than on the Ipod Touch.

More later.

Your life sounds pretty exciting to me. Yes hard times are here in US also.
new is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 11:24 AM   #123
rgeorg
Guru
rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Lets see you asked why I have SGP5 and KFHD. Well blame it on Blossom, lol. No I read on the KFHD, and found out don't really like Audible on KFHD. Use Moon + reader to read my books (actually TSS) on the SGP5. Listen to audiobooks mp3 on the SGP5. I also love the apps (guitar, ukulele) on the SGP5. Take nice videos on the SGP5, and pictures.

So the SGP5 is nice and compact, and has android that does more. Oh I forgot I use Google Talk (Talkatone app) and Google voice and it works better than on the Ipod Touch.

More later.

Your life sounds pretty exciting to me. Yes hard times are here in US also.
I feel that I'm living the Chinese curse: "May you live in interesting times." It is very "interesting" here now - but we hope for a better future. I know it is hard in the US as well. Pretty much everywhere these days.

Fortunately I have nice parents who offer to buy me lovely techie toys! Yes I hold Blossom responsible for my SGP5 purchase (LOL). She has great suggestions. I am sure I'll be happy with it.

I'm a bit less certain about how much I'd use a KFHD. Good to hear that you like reading on it. And all the other apps on the SGP5. I am making a list so that I can install as much as possible during my visit. Is Google Talk/Voice similar to Skype? I read something about getting the SGP to work as a virtual phone (when in wireless range of course). This would be useful while traveling.
Old 12-20-2012, 01:04 PM   #124
new
new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I feel that I'm living the Chinese curse: "May you live in interesting times." It is very "interesting" here now - but we hope for a better future. I know it is hard in the US as well. Pretty much everywhere these days.

Fortunately I have nice parents who offer to buy me lovely techie toys! Yes I hold Blossom responsible for my SGP5 purchase (LOL). She has great suggestions. I am sure I'll be happy with it.

I'm a bit less certain about how much I'd use a KFHD. Good to hear that you like reading on it. And all the other apps on the SGP5. I am making a list so that I can install as much as possible during my visit. Is Google Talk/Voice similar to Skype? I read something about getting the SGP to work as a virtual phone (when in wireless range of course). This would be useful while traveling.
I also have the Paperwhite for almost a month now. I have been so deprived of techy toys for over a year or more, lol. SO last night I used the PW to read for several hours. Then I end up listening to the Ipod Touch for Audible books. I have trouble sleeping as you can see. Then I read for 2 hours on the SGP5, and it is wonderful to read on. As Blossom said with Screen Dim you can adjust to your liking in the middle of the night, as well as change fonts, backgrounds. She likes Mantano, I ended up with Moon + and like it as well as she likes Mantano. I can change everything to my liking.

The KFHD I am not using as much as I should be. I do have some nice apps as I said Guitar, Ukulele, Piano to learn chords and such. The screen is very clear, and I have read books on it. I don't use the web as much as I thought I would. But our taste change you know. I love reading more than anything right now.

I like changing from big screen to little screen because your hands and eyes need a change. That is my excuse and I am sticking to it, lol.

Oops I almost forgot, yes Google Voice and Google Talk is like Skype. Setup a google email, then a phone number, and then it is so easy to make free calls. I really like it. Check your messages from anywhere. I sound like an ad, but it saves money making calls and is easy. You setup contacts list and it is so easy to make a call.

Last edited by new; 12-20-2012 at 01:06 PM.
Old 12-21-2012, 02:35 AM   #125
rgeorg
Guru

[QUOTE=new;2349931]I also have the Paperwhite for almost a month now. I have been so deprived of techy toys for over a year or more, lol. SO last night I used the PW to read for several hours. Then I end up listening to the Ipod Touch for Audible books. I have trouble sleeping as you can see. Then I read for 2 hours on the SGP5, and it is wonderful to read on. As Blossom said with Screen Dim you can adjust to your liking in the middle of the night, as well as change fonts, backgrounds. She likes Mantano, I ended up with Moon + and like it as well as she likes Mantano. I can change everything to my liking.

/QUOTE]

I'll check out the Google Talk, but my family all have Skype accounts so perhaps I'm just better with that. Can Google talk make calls to a landline or mobile phone?

One more question. (This is so great for me, a big help!). Can you rate the reading experience Paperwhite vs SGP5 vs KFHD? I figured it wouldn't be enough difference to buy the PW along with the SGP5. I have a 9.7" DXG kindle which I read on most evenings. It is a big large and heavy in general (but great for PDFs), so for mobi I'd prefer a smaller reader. My 6"K3keyboard(3G) is at my country cottage, so I could use the SGP at home if it really is good enough for reading. I used a 5" jetBook for about 18 months (till I got the kindle) and it was quite good. The quick page turns made up for the smaller screen size. I still carry it with me for office appts and travel, as I even find the 6"kindle to be large'ish for carrying. It even reflows pdf which is nice. But the SGP5 screen should be whiter and better by far.

I think that I'll probably hold off on second purchases and see/test the SGP5 when I get there. I'll see if I can try out both Mandano and Moon+. The kindles all have 2-day delivery, so I can decide later. Economically, I should resist unless there is a compelling reason. I'm not seeing one right now. The SGP5 sounds better-and-better from what you and Blossom write. I also bought a Sansa Clip Zip for audio books (and a case with speakers + marshmallow headphones that Blossom recommended - seriously, she has great recommendations!) while I walk, which I do for about 2 hrs a day. Haven't used audible for years, perhaps will try the free sample book in January. So I should be pretty well covered.

I just have such a small window of opportunity for purchases without the fuss and expense of shipping to Europe. Even Amazon.uk or Germany is more expensive for me (and they do not always ship here).
Thanks again for your help with this!

(PS My husband just got a gorgeous 11" Sony Vaio Duo tablet yesterday (from work) - so I could borrow that for any large doc reading/movies at night - if I can pry it away from him!)

Last edited by rgeorg; 12-21-2012 at 02:41 AM.
Old 12-21-2012, 02:32 PM   #126
new

[QUOTE=rgeorg;2350536]
Quote:
I also have the Paperwhite for almost a month now. I have been so deprived of techy toys for over a year or more, lol. SO last night I used the PW to read for several hours. Then I end up listening to the Ipod Touch for Audible books. I have trouble sleeping as you can see. Then I read for 2 hours on the SGP5, and it is wonderful to read on. As Blossom said with Screen Dim you can adjust to your liking in the middle of the night, as well as change fonts, backgrounds. She likes Mantano, I ended up with Moon + and like it as well as she likes Mantano. I can change everything to my liking.

/QUOTE]

I'll check out the Google Talk, but my family all have Skype accounts so perhaps I'm just better with that. Can Google talk make calls to a landline or mobile phone?

I have a google voice phone number setup that I have given people to call. This number is setup (by me) to forward to my home and cell phone (when they are on). I get messages sent to my email (google setup again). I like it, it is free for now. I don't know anything about Skype, sorry.

One more question. (This is so great for me, a big help!). Can you rate the reading experience Paperwhite vs SGP5 vs KFHD? I figured it wouldn't be enough difference to buy the PW along with the SGP5. I have a 9.7" DXG kindle which I read on most evenings. It is a big large and heavy in general (but great for PDFs), so for mobi I'd prefer a smaller reader. My 6"K3keyboard(3G) is at my country cottage, so I could use the SGP at home if it really is good enough for reading. I used a 5" jetBook for about 18 months (till I got the kindle) and it was quite good. The quick page turns made up for the smaller screen size. I still carry it with me for office appts and travel, as I even find the 6"kindle to be large'ish for carrying. It even reflows pdf which is nice. But the SGP5 screen should be whiter and better by far.

I too had a Kindle DX, it is great, but I read in the dark, so I got tired of book lights. It is in the closet now. I think it just depends on your eyes, your uses, and are you addicted to reading, lol. The Paperwhite is good, but I am getting partial to the SGP5 for night reading also. The KFHD is good too, but it is heavier. The SGP5 is a bit heavy (compared to the Ipod Touch) but if you are a middle of the night user I lean these on my little pillow on my tummy (lol) so don't notice the heavy factor at all.

I read two to three books at the same time, on different readers. You just get addicted to different books and are in the mood to read one or another.

As for audiobooks, I am switching to listening to Library books and I have to start using Windows (doing that this weekend) for the wma. I am going to start using that little Sansa gadget that is in the closet right now for that. I had Audible for a year, but costs to much for me right now. Also takes too much space on my gadgets. It was good for a year, but need to cut costs.

I think that I'll probably hold off on second purchases and see/test the SGP5 when I get there. I'll see if I can try out both Mandano and Moon+. The kindles all have 2-day delivery, so I can decide later. Economically, I should resist unless there is a compelling reason. I'm not seeing one right now. The SGP5 sounds better-and-better from what you and Blossom write. I also bought a Sansa Clip Zip for audio books (and a case with speakers + marshmallow headphones that Blossom recommended - seriously, she has great recommendations!) while I walk, which I do for about 2 hrs a day. Haven't used audible for years, perhaps will try the free sample book in January. So I should be pretty well covered.

I just have such a small window of opportunity for purchases without the fuss and expense of shipping to Europe. Even Amazon.uk or Germany is more expensive for me (and they do not always ship here).
Thanks again for your help with this!

(PS My husband just got a gorgeous 11" Sony Vaio Duo tablet yesterday (from work) - so I could borrow that for any large doc reading/movies at night - if I can pry it away from him!)
I can't decide which I like the best, I love them all. I have not been using the KFHD right now as much because the 30 days are up. The PW and SGP5 are still in the 30 day window so I am making sure they don't break. I read on the PW during the day too and it looks better in the daylight, so I am not really hooked on night reading as much on it as the SGP5 or the KFHD. But the PW is still better than a booklight.

I apologize for the bold, but the quotes were messed up a bit on your posting, and I can't deal with the editing for the quotes on my end.

Oops, I think you asked about the SGP5 using Google Talk. I ended up downloading the App Talkatone from Google Play Store and it works great. So you can use the SGP5 as a phone using your home wireless. You can get your messages there too. It works better than on the Ipod Touch. Something is weird with Ipod Touch Talkatone, it doesn't show contacts list. But it works.

Last edited by new; 12-21-2012 at 02:39 PM.
Old 12-23-2012, 05:26 AM   #127
rgeorg
Guru

[QUOTE=new;2351278]
Quote:

I can't decide which I like the best, I love them all. I have not been using the KFHD right now as much because the 30 days are up. The PW and SGP5 are still in the 30 day window so I am making sure they don't break. I read on the PW during the day too and it looks better in the daylight, so I am not really hooked on night reading as much on it as the SGP5 or the KFHD. But the PW is still better than a booklight.
Oops, I think you asked about the SGP5 using Google Talk. I ended up downloading the App Talkatone from Google Play Store and it works great. So you can use the SGP5 as a phone using your home wireless. You can get your messages there too. It works better than on the Ipod Touch. Something is weird with Ipod Touch Talkatone, it doesn't show contacts list. But it works.
Thanks for the information!
Sounds like the PW would be redundant with the SGP5 for low-light reading. I enjoy using the DXG most every day for a couple of hours, even with a reading lamp at night. I have the K3 for weekends in the country. I've lent the jetBook to a friend who isn't in a position to purchase an ereader right now.

I also listen to audio books daily, while I walk, for a couple of hours(creative zen which I like, but is getting old). Don't think that I could keep track of a third book simultaneously. Not working leaves me time to play

I am very much inclined to buy the KFHD as a home movie player/media and reader for magazines, comics etc (even though not working causes me to be very careful of how money is spent!)

The 5" SGP just seems too small for a comfortable home media device (except reading novels), and my husbands 11.6" is heavier and I have to negotiate availability with him!

Although we have lots of netbooks and kindles hanging around the house, the KFHD tablet seems quite special with the great screen/speaker quality. Maybe the 8.9" will go on sale again?

I have a couple more weeks to think on this. I'll look into Google Voice/Talkatone as well. Thanks again for your comments!
Old 12-23-2012, 12:36 PM   #128
new

[QUOTE=rgeorg;2352919]
Quote:

Thanks for the information!
Sounds like the PW would be redundant with the SGP5 for low-light reading. I enjoy using the DXG most every day for a couple of hours, even with a reading lamp at night. I have the K3 for weekends in the country. I've lent the jetBook to a friend who isn't in a position to purchase an ereader right now.

I also listen to audio books daily, while I walk, for a couple of hours(creative zen which I like, but is getting old). Don't think that I could keep track of a third book simultaneously. Not working leaves me time to play

I am very much inclined to buy the KFHD as a home movie player/media and reader for magazines, comics etc (even though not working causes me to be very careful of how money is spent!)

The 5" SGP just seems too small for a comfortable home media device (except reading novels), and my husbands 11.6" is heavier and I have to negotiate availability with him!

Although we have lots of netbooks and kindles hanging around the house, the KFHD tablet seems quite special with the great screen/speaker quality. Maybe the 8.9" will go on sale again?

I have a couple more weeks to think on this. I'll look into Google Voice/Talkatone as well. Thanks again for your comments!
If you read in the dark and don't use a bedside lamp or tired of booklights then the PW is great. I was reading on it last night for several hours. It is not really redundant, it is completely different. I was reading on the SGP5 in the daylight and at night, it is different. All good.

Variety is good. No carpal tunnel, or eyestrain from variety. But that is my entertainment, I don't spend money on anything else. Okay I do eat, lol. Like Blossom and her books, and I find no guilt in getting away from it all with reading. We all have to decide what is our entertainment money going to be used on.

I am sure any of the ones you get you will love. Techy toys have come a long way.
Old 12-23-2012, 04:25 PM   #129
rgeorg
Guru

[QUOTE=new;2353313]
Quote:

If you read in the dark and don't use a bedside lamp or tired of booklights then the PW is great. I was reading on it last night for several hours. It is not really redundant, it is completely different. I was reading on the SGP5 in the daylight and at night, it is different. All good.

Variety is good. No carpal tunnel, or eyestrain from variety. But that is my entertainment, I don't spend money on anything else. Okay I do eat, lol. Like Blossom and her books, and I find no guilt in getting away from it all with reading. We all have to decide what is our entertainment money going to be used on.

I am sure any of the ones you get you will love. Techy toys have come a long way.
I really like your attitude. I sew (clothes and crafts) also, so recreation money goes there also. And then there are the Bridge books and matches... Well, I would say that reading/media has top priority! Can't get everything though. PW sounds interesting, very specialized. I am going to wait and see the SGP5 and what it can do. I'm just very impatient! The great thing about these techie toys is that buying something "now" really doesn't matter, something new and less expensive is right around the corner.
Old 12-24-2012, 02:38 PM   #130
new

[QUOTE=rgeorg;2353460]
Quote:

I really like your attitude. I sew (clothes and crafts) also, so recreation money goes there also. And then there are the Bridge books and matches... Well, I would say that reading/media has top priority! Can't get everything though. PW sounds interesting, very specialized. I am going to wait and see the SGP5 and what it can do. I'm just very impatient! The great thing about these techie toys is that buying something "now" really doesn't matter, something new and less expensive is right around the corner.
I use to sew, still have my sergers. Made curtains, cushions, clothes a long time ago.

I understand being impatient. I couldn't stand it. Let us know what you get and your apps.

I still love the PW, KFHD, SGP5. PW is number one right now. I am reading Marcia Wallace, Don't Look Back. Very sad right now. She lost her husband. She is very much like her character in Bob Newhart. I want to read something happy next.

Soon I will be setting up my Windows so I can listen to wma audiobooks from the Library. Another addiction audiobooks. I am actually listening to Audible book Lincoln, the movie was based on this long book. Such an interesting human being.

Next a romance and a happy book is on my next read. Not sure yet.

Merry Christmas
Old 12-26-2012, 03:04 AM   #131
rgeorg
Guru

[QUOTE=new;2354425]
Quote:

I use to sew, still have my sergers. Made curtains, cushions, clothes a long time ago.

I understand being impatient. I couldn't stand it. Let us know what you get and your apps.

I still love the PW, KFHD, SGP5. PW is number one right now. I am reading Marcia Wallace, Don't Look Back. Very sad right now. She lost her husband. She is very much like her character in Bob Newhart. I want to read something happy next.

Soon I will be setting up my Windows so I can listen to wma audiobooks from the Library. Another addiction audiobooks. I am actually listening to Audible book Lincoln, the movie was based on this long book. Such an interesting human being.

Next a romance and a happy book is on my next read. Not sure yet.

Merry Christmas
Happy Holidays to you also!

I am cautiously narrowing my sights on the KFHD 8.9". If I am going to buy something, might as well go to the limit (for me!). Maximal usefulness is my criteria, and I will have the SGP5" for portability and vanilla Android. My 4-yr-old 9" netbook has started making odd noises. I have another 2 weeks to decide and I may change my mind - a woman's prerogative, correct?

I've been reading the SGP5 User's Guide and sounds like it does so much. Have to start reading about the iPad as well. Can I download off of Dropbox to the iPad? Best reading apps? (I'll go ask that at the appropriate thread)
Old 12-27-2012, 03:05 PM   #132
new

[QUOTE=rgeorg;2355866]
Quote:

Happy Holidays to you also!

I am cautiously narrowing my sights on the KFHD 8.9". If I am going to buy something, might as well go to the limit (for me!). Maximal usefulness is my criteria, and I will have the SGP5" for portability and vanilla Android. My 4-yr-old 9" netbook has started making odd noises. I have another 2 weeks to decide and I may change my mind - a woman's prerogative, correct?

I've been reading the SGP5 User's Guide and sounds like it does so much. Have to start reading about the iPad as well. Can I download off of Dropbox to the iPad? Best reading apps? (I'll go ask that at the appropriate thread)
I just tried the voice feature on SGP5 for google and for email. It is better than typing, but still not perfect.

When are you getting the SGP5? My neighbor got the KFHD 7" for Christmas, and she has some learning to do. An older adult (yes older than me) that does fairly well, but still struggles with technology. She wants it to play app games. I read on mine.

I still like Moon + to read on over the Kindle App on the KFHD. Since KFHD doesn't have bells and whistles like the PW (X-ray). I love Moon + No Xray, but dropbox can be used, and so many different settings. But it is good to read from, not sure the bigger KFHD is what I would get, I thought about it, but have adjusted to the 7". I too loved the DX, but the print seems to be bigger on the PW, KFHD, SGP5, and touch page turning is faster and easier than clicking for me. The bigger KFHD will weigh more of course.

Your mileage may vary, lol, everybody is different. I am reading 3 books again, and one audiobook. I love it.

Last edited by new; 12-27-2012 at 03:07 PM.
Old 12-28-2012, 02:11 AM   #133
rgeorg
Guru

[QUOTE=new;2357807]
Quote:
When are you getting the SGP5? My neighbor got the KFHD 7" for Christmas, and she has some learning to do. An older adult (yes older than me) that does fairly well, but still struggles with technology. She wants it to play app games. I read on mine.

I still like Moon + to read on over the Kindle App on the KFHD. Since KFHD doesn't have bells and whistles like the PW (X-ray). I love Moon + No Xray, but dropbox can be used, and so many different settings. But it is good to read from, not sure the bigger KFHD is what I would get, I thought about it, but have adjusted to the 7". I too loved the DX, but the print seems to be bigger on the PW, KFHD, SGP5, and touch page turning is faster and easier than clicking for me. The bigger KFHD will weigh more of course.

Your mileage may vary, lol, everybody is different. I am reading 3 books again, and one audiobook. I love it.
I arrive on the 9th of Jan - but will be exhausted after a 22hr+ journey! I'll probably start to play with it on the 10th. Maybe I can charge it before (overnight) so it is nice and fresh. Lots more posts at that point!

Question: What audiobook and music apps(s) do you recommend for the SGP5 (basic mp3 files)? I read about Mort Player (?). Not including Overdrive or Audible - since I won't really be able to use them.

I am making a list of apps to download so I can get the device(s) setup in the US. Loooong list!

Still a bit of a muddle on the KFHD, although I've decided against another ereader (PW). I setup a 7" KFHD for a friend so I had it to play with for 3 weeks, and loved the screen/speakers. The GUI didn't bug me and I could play most everything I needed to - so that was all good. I just found the 7" too small for reading papers, playing online Bridge, magazines and most webpages. All that page moving around gave me a headache. I don't mind holding the DX at 9.7" - I just prop it up. I do find my husband's 11.6" Sony to be quite large and bulky, but OK for sometime use. I thought that 9" might be "just right"

Figure I'd use it for browsing, online Bridge (the 7" doesn't have enough screen size) and occasional magazine/paper reading. Amazon has removed the free 2-day delivery option now (and some of the other KFHD product discounts), so I may have to decide sooner. Or not at all.

If it is this much of a decision, I should probably just wait for the next generation!

PS - I haven't sewn much lately, basically some crafts for charity bazaars. I am trying to use my (huge! - I am in a textile-producing city, Thessaloniki) fabric stash now to make casual clothes since I am now retired. Perhaps I should get a new serger in the US rather than the KFHD.
Old 12-28-2012, 12:39 PM   #134
new

[QUOTE=rgeorg;2358261]
Quote:

I arrive on the 9th of Jan - but will be exhausted after a 22hr+ journey! I'll probably start to play with it on the 10th. Maybe I can charge it before (overnight) so it is nice and fresh. Lots more posts at that point!

Question: What audiobook and music apps(s) do you recommend for the SGP5 (basic mp3 files)? I read about Mort Player (?). Not including Overdrive or Audible - since I won't really be able to use them.

I am making a list of apps to download so I can get the device(s) setup in the US. Loooong list!

Still a bit of a muddle on the KFHD, although I've decided against another ereader (PW). I setup a 7" KFHD for a friend so I had it to play with for 3 weeks, and loved the screen/speakers. The GUI didn't bug me and I could play most everything I needed to - so that was all good. I just found the 7" too small for reading papers, playing online Bridge, magazines and most webpages. All that page moving around gave me a headache. I don't mind holding the DX at 9.7" - I just prop it up. I do find my husband's 11.6" Sony to be quite large and bulky, but OK for sometime use. I thought that 9" might be "just right"

Figure I'd use it for browsing, online Bridge (the 7" doesn't have enough screen size) and occasional magazine/paper reading. Amazon has removed the free 2-day delivery option now (and some of the other KFHD product discounts), so I may have to decide sooner. Or not at all.

If it is this much of a decision, I should probably just wait for the next generation!

PS - I haven't sewn much lately, basically some crafts for charity bazaars. I am trying to use my (huge! - I am in a textile-producing city, Thessaloniki) fabric stash now to make casual clothes since I am now retired. Perhaps I should get a new serger in the US rather than the KFHD.
Sears stopped selling sergers. Which is where I got mine, it was actually a serger made by a Japanese company (can't remember) so don't look there, lol.

The Apps I use and can remember are: Advanced Task Killer Free (from Google Play) Moon + (from GP) Screen Dim (Amazon or GP) HD battery (I was using Gsam battery, but noticed it seemed to drain my battery and it was the paid version, I may try again sometime) Talkatone (GP) MortPlayer (GP) and Mortplayer widgets (GP) Wi-fi Switch (Amazon I think & GP)

I would get the bigger KFHD if that is what you like, why not? Between the SGP5 and KFHD seems like you got it covered for everything.

The MortPlayer Audiobook I use I like, the Samsung earbuds control the player. For some reason they don't work on the Audible App. The Moon + Reader Pro also will sync with Dropbox, haven't tried it yet, but it is suppose to.

In another thread I mentioned I force closed Audible and my battery life is great now on the KFHD. I used The Advanced Task Killer for that. I like it better than the Gsam battery for killing apps, it was too confusing for me. I guess everyone is different on what Apps they end up liking.
Old 01-01-2013, 04:00 AM   #135
rgeorg
Guru

[QUOTE=new;2358890]
Quote:

Sears stopped selling sergers. Which is where I got mine, it was actually a serger made by a Japanese company (can't remember) so don't look there, lol.
I would get the bigger KFHD if that is what you like, why not? Between the SGP5 and KFHD seems like you got it covered for everything.

In another thread I mentioned I force closed Audible and my battery life is great now on the KFHD. I used The Advanced Task Killer for that. I like it better than the Gsam battery for killing apps, it was too confusing for me. I guess everyone is different on what Apps they end up liking.
Happy New Year!
Good news is that I finally decided to discuss buying a KFHD with my husband and he agreed that buying a KFHD for home use is a good idea. We decided on the (16GB)7" because when all is said and done, I will basically use it as an ereader and the 7" form factor is best for novels IMO. I'll try to save money on a cheaper cover although I think that I should get the fast charger as well. (Side question: have you ever tried to use a wallpaper app on your kindle? - a friend's daughter asked me this one, I'm not really interested - I'd guess that it wouldn't work as it would interfere with the ads?)

I read your comments about audible/task killing and battery monitor - that should help. Some apps are just really good and it saves time to hear what other people with similar taste use. I want to try Audible's free book offer, and I'll do it on the SGP5.

So, I guess that's it for now. Can't wait to see my goodies next week. It'll be a busy time setting up 3 devices (SGP5, KFHD and my parents iPad). The iPad seems like the biggest challenge because the closed nature of the system doesn't facilitate side-loading. My (step)father is in his late-80s and it may be difficult for him to use.

I should also test the Sansa Clip Zip out (have to remember to bring media on a mSD!). Have to see what I can do with Dropbox. Lots to do....but it is great fun!

I've had my Bernina "Bernette" serger for over 20 years now, and I bought it (slightly) used. I have sewn lots of jersey/ stretch and used it daily for many years. I just can't justify replacing it when it continues to work well. Not like techie stuff ) Nothing short of amazing! My Bernina sewing machine did have a small problem. I cannot get Bernina service here so I replaced it with a local (well, German Pfaff) brand in case I needed service. Will probably do the same thing when the serger needs replacement. I have actually started sewing a top this week!