Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 09-24-2012, 04:48 PM   #31
vans
Zealot
vans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipad, Elonix 621eb, Asus Transformer, Sony PRS505
I have a 90 year old relative who has macular degeneration. She is not able to read even large type books.

At the weekend she read quite easily using my Ipad with the font set at very large.

However, an iPad is too complex for her, she needs something easy to use.

I am wondering if the new Kindle Paperwhite or Kobo Glo with a backlight is going to be easier for her to read than conventional e-ink readers?

The point made above about large print menus is really important (and a factor I had not considered).

Can anyone recommend an e-ink reader with a menu with adjustable font size?
vans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 09:35 PM   #32
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by vans View Post
I have a 90 year old relative who has macular degeneration. She is not able to read even large type books.

At the weekend she read quite easily using my Ipad with the font set at very large.

I am wondering if the new Kindle Paperwhite or Kobo Glo with a backlight is going to be easier for her to read than conventional e-ink readers?

The point made above about large print menus is really important (and a factor I had not considered).

Can anyone recommend an e-ink reader with a menu with adjustable font size?
Most ebook readers require the font to be set on a book by book basis.
Easiest on the older Sony 650 perhaps as there is button to push. (menus would be hard to navigate for visually impaired.

I read somewhere that one of the new readers has an option to set default font size for all books. Kobo perhaps?

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 09:56 PM   #33
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Keyboard, Kobo Aura, iPad mini, iPod Touch
vans, if you are looking for an e-ink reader you might consider a Kindle Keyboard since it has a "voice guide" to read out menu options and book descriptions for those with poor eyesight. It also has TTS which could come in handy.
Synamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 10:20 PM   #34
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
Quote:
Originally Posted by speakingtohe View Post
Most ebook readers require the font to be set on a book by book basis.
My Kindle Keyboard keeps its large print from book to book, and even after a hard reboot.

Advice for vans:

-- If you live in a country where you can easily return electronics, pick one and buy it.

-- To me, the differences between six inch eInk readers are not enough so a low vision person could read one and not another. Then, I'm not low vision.

-- Since your relative could read the iPad, maybe he or she needs back-lighting. Or maybe not. And Paperwhite/Glo devices are not back lit, although they might seem that way to some. Which gets back to the point about trying before permanently buying.

I googled to see if there was much informed discussion on low vision and eReaders. It does sound like each case may be different so you have to see what works.
SteveEisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 11:50 AM   #35
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:

If an iPad is complicated to use, then I think there isn't going to be any eink reader any better. They are all just as complex. Plus the smaller screen is not going to work as well when the font is set to the size she needs. The best solution (IMHO) is to teach her to use the iPad. It's large screen is good for having the fonts at such a larger size. a 6" eink screen is going to be frustrating because of the smaller screen and the fact that it's not going to be easy to navigate. The iPad is actually fairly simple in comparison to some eink readers. The iPad is easier to use then Sony, Amazon, Kobo, & B&N.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 01:26 PM   #36
vans
Zealot
vans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
If an iPad is complicated to use, then I think there isn't going to be any eink reader any better. They are all just as complex. Plus the smaller screen is not going to work as well when the font is set to the size she needs. The best solution (IMHO) is to teach her to use the iPad. It's large screen is good for having the fonts at such a larger size. a 6" eink screen is going to be frustrating because of the smaller screen and the fact that it's not going to be easy to navigate. The iPad is actually fairly simple in comparison to some eink readers. The iPad is easier to use then Sony, Amazon, Kobo, & B&N.

Thanks for the advice.

Last weekend we took a chance and bought her a Kindle Touch. With the font set to it's largest she can read it. At the time she did say that she preferred the larger screen of the iPad, but we checked with her today and she has almost finished her first book using the Kindle and seems to really enjoy using it.

However, we have said to her to let us know if she wants to try something else.

One advantage of an e-ink reader is the battery life. I can plug it in for her so she only has to unplug it (she might have a problem inserting the USB charger).
Old 10-05-2012, 02:33 PM   #37
Antoinekamel
Addict
Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ABC W p2
Vans,

Let me recommend JBPatch (https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=175512).

The bigger font size of Kindle may take too much screen for less words. With JBPatch you can set minor margins and hyphenation, both which improves the reading experience, especially with bigger fonts.
Antoinekamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 03:34 AM   #38
vans
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antoinekamel View Post
Vans,

Let me recommend JBPatch (https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=175512).

The bigger font size of Kindle may take too much screen for less words. With JBPatch you can set minor margins and hyphenation, both which improves the reading experience, especially with bigger fonts.

Thanks for the advice. I will certainly try the patch.
Old 10-13-2012, 02:41 PM   #39
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Thanks for the advice.

Last weekend we took a chance and bought her a Kindle Touch. With the font set to it's largest she can read it. At the time she did say that she preferred the larger screen of the iPad, but we checked with her today and she has almost finished her first book using the Kindle and seems to really enjoy using it.

However, we have said to her to let us know if she wants to try something else.

One advantage of an e-ink reader is the battery life. I can plug it in for her so she only has to unplug it (she might have a problem inserting the USB charger).
The iPad's charging connector is easier to use the a micro-USB connector. I know eink readers last longer on a charge then the iPad. But with the New iPad, the screen is very clear and looks better with fonts as larger as you have set on the Kindle. Seriously, if you have access to an iPad, let her try it. You might be surprised.
Old 10-15-2012, 02:45 PM   #40
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, iPad Pro 10", iPhone 15 Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The iPad's charging connector is easier to use the a micro-USB connector.
I disagree. I find the beveled edge of the iPad and iPod makes it difficult to insert the connector. The iPhone, on the other hand, is easier due to the flat surface.
twowheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 07:09 PM   #41
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
I disagree. I find the beveled edge of the iPad and iPod makes it difficult to insert the connector. The iPhone, on the other hand, is easier due to the flat surface.
Some cases such as m-edge can make it harder to insert the cable into the connector. I have an iPad and I find the connector very easy to use.