Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 09-15-2012, 05:25 PM   #61
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Tır
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by shamanNS View Post
@ihor: Nice work. Only if it head different/modified icons, that indicate size it would be perfection

@twobob: Yeah, permanent margins change would be awesome...
1) They are different sizes - slightly. (look really hard)

That's a function of that particular display widget, changing the underlying sizes to display wouldn't change that functionality.

2) Yep. Gutters are a bit rubbish. : )

EDIT: or do you mean multiply them all by some central numerical factor
smallest -> Largest being X2 time the actual difference in font size.

Seems like a lot of fiddling about for little gain.
But might be a great exercise in guts ripping.
I would heart to see you do that, shamanNS, but honestly it's a bit of a folly when there are other much juicier low hanging fruit (4 font variations, color fonts? HEHEHe)

: )

Last edited by twobob; 09-15-2012 at 05:30 PM. Reason: fiddle fiddle while the DX burns
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 05:28 PM   #62
shamanNS
Guru
shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW5 [bricked], Kindle PW1
@twobob: I fancy "xx pt" over standard Aa icon
shamanNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 05:32 PM   #63
twobob
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

hmm. well, that's more or less exactly that same amount of work as my suggestion...

: ) Have a play... see what you come up with!

(the _en extension stuff is much less CRASH hazardous then affecting the main jar, Big love to Itab for that little tip. makes playing around much less "Twitchy")
Old 09-15-2012, 05:43 PM   #64
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@twobob: You can. It's also a setting saved in reader.pref
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 06:19 PM   #65
ihor
Enthusiast
ihor understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ihor understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ihor understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ihor understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ihor understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ihor understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ihor understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ihor understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ihor understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ihor understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ihor understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'

Device: Kindle DX Graphite
Quote:
Originally Posted by twobob View Post
I wonder if you could find an option for "Words Per Line" and ditch that gutter...

Like "Max!" "Normal" "Useless"
this is file \opt\amazon\ebook\lib\booklet.jar
class
\com\amazon\ebook\common\gui\overlay\resources\Pag eActionsOverlayResources.class

it has these lines:
"word.per.line.option.1", "fewest"
}, {
"word.per.line.option.2", "fewer"
}, {
"word.per.line.option.3", "default"

Do you want to change captions on "Max!" "Normal" "Useless" ?
Or to change values? Cause changing values would be more difficult - they are not in this resource file. finding values "40" would be more difficult.

There is a parameter HORIZONTAL_MARGIN in reader.pref file. I changed it to 20 and rebooted kindle. And it works. For me it is enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twobob View Post
I would heart that oh newly-crowned master of text tinkering : D
English is not my native language. Although I studied it at school and at university at applied linguistics department, I cannot translate this sentence anyway.

Could you please re-phrase it?
ihor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 06:32 PM   #66
shamanNS
Guru
shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW5 [bricked], Kindle PW1
Ok. So I've pulled those 2 .jar files form my Kindle Keyboard with FW 3.3, decompiled it. Everything is the same (values), so the same modification should also work for KK.
I did't do re-compile part because "Java SE Development Kit 6 Update 21" (which I had already on my PC ,left from samo Android related modification I did couple of months; so I tried it first) will not compile to 1.4 target.
Will try compiling part and pushing to my KK tomorrow when I'm less lazy

I've used Notepad++ for opening ReaderResources_en.java and UIResources_en.java. But I want to ask if Notepad++ is ok/is it safe (because of the CRLF thingy)? I have Linux Mint installed as part of tripleboot (again for some Android modifications), but I'm not that experienced in Linux text editors (especially the ones that are used from Terminal, aka non-GUI ones)

edit:

@ihor: I've seen this in ReaderResources_en.java

Code:
}, new Object[] {
                "booklet.leftMargin", new Integer(40)
            }, new Object[] {
                "booklet.rightMargin", new Integer(40)
If I remember 40 was default margin value in reader.pref.

Last edited by shamanNS; 09-15-2012 at 06:38 PM.
shamanNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 07:15 PM   #67
ihor
Enthusiast
ihor understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ihor understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ihor understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ihor understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ihor understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ihor understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ihor understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ihor understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ihor understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ihor understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ihor understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'

Here (see attachment) is the file with 11 options for the font - as on screenshot above.

By the way, people from other forums told that patch works fine on Kindle Keyboard.
Attached Files
File Type: zip kindle_dx_font_fix_v2.zip (394.2 KB, 199 views)
Old 09-15-2012, 07:24 PM   #68
ihor
Enthusiast

@shamanNS:
download the old JDK (link is in my instruction) and don't search for possible problems.

As to Notepad++: I don't think it matters CRLF or CR - the compiler makes a binary code (.class file).

As to this
Code:
}, new Object[] {
                "booklet.leftMargin", new Integer(40)
            }, new Object[] {
                "booklet.rightMargin", new Integer(40)
you are right, but where is the value for other options ("fewest" and "fewer")?
Old 09-15-2012, 08:39 PM   #69
twobob

Dont want you guys to do work on my account. appreciate the insights so far though.
the font size thing didnt work on my stock 3.4 but ill go check out the sucess reports. thanks everyone.
from my kindle
Old 09-16-2012, 04:35 AM   #70
ihor
Enthusiast

upload your opt folder somewhere - I will look.

by the way, can anyone teach me how to create bin files - those which are put into \mnt\us and then visible in menu -> settings -> update ?

if anyone can point me to a normal guilde which would allow me to start development under kindle platform - I'd be grateful.
Old 09-16-2012, 05:50 AM   #71
twobob

Okay - Niluje released an updated packager to make the .bin files.

I will find it now as penance for not reading your message properly.

Have a look here
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=187880

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I misread this first and thought you meant kindlets lol!!!!
Spoiler:

This was a Kindlet "hello world" that worked for me: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...2&postcount=66

Here's the wider guide that the hello world project above was derived from
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...75&postcount=1

There is more on the WIKI.

Last edited by twobob; 09-16-2012 at 06:04 AM. Reason: He meant the installer thingy.
Old 09-16-2012, 07:25 AM   #72
twobob

the 2nd hack on a stock 3.4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihor View Post
Here (see attachment) is the file with 11 options for the font - as on screenshot above.

By the way, people from other forums told that patch works fine on Kindle Keyboard.

Tested this second version on a stock 3.4, with no fonts hack, doesn't work (nothing changes in the menus)

still 8 choices, still same sizes : )

just reporting the results. Cheers
Old 09-16-2012, 10:24 AM   #73
twobob

the lowdown, oh tinkery one ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihor View Post
if anyone can point me to a normal guide which would allow me to start development under kindle platform - I'd be grateful.

Yeah. pretty much, you need (your a windows dude so the windows version) CodeSourcery Toolchain 2006q3 (or 2007q3)

An IDE that can use that is helpful.

Some source code, Some flags would be nice for the dx for cpp.

Quote:
export ARCH_FLAGS="-march=armv6j -mtune=arm1136jf-s -mfpu=vfp"
export CFLAGS="-fno-stack-protector -O2 -ffast-math ${ARCH_FLAGS} -pipe -fomit-$
export CXXFLAGS="-fno-stack-protector" CPPFLAGS="-U_FORTIFY_SOURCE"
export HOST=i686-pc-linux
export BUILD=arm-unknown-linux-gnueabi
#export LDFLAGS="-static"
You will have to find the architecture flags for the DX - those are for a 3.

Then either use the IDE, or command line, to x-compile some code.

That's it really, the resulting exe will just work AS-IS, assuming you use the TC I suggest. Use readelf or something to check your library requirements.

I have notes on getting the resulting bins to dynamically load libraries at runtime from FAT, should you end up including libs. Obviously a nice self contained exe is easiest (but rarely possible with 3rd party code)

There should be a whole bunch of posts from me (and possibly others) asking (possibly stupid) questions about this subject. Have a you have a search around if you want a laugh

Here's the wiki for MobileRead on it https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Tools_Index#Development

So: Start here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=181068 The Kindle envronment Kit

Public repository of command files and documentation:
http://hg.minimodding.com/repos/embed/kek.hg/
'hg clone' the above address for a local copy.
Changes available via RSS and ATOM feeds.

Tools, Image filters, Image profiles, Eclipse-CDT, ...
(I.E: files that don't need source control):
http://drpbox.knetconnect.com/KeK
('wget --mirror' is ok, just don't do it too often. No rsync available.)

And see where that gets you

Great to have you excited about the device. It can do incredible things if we make it!

Last edited by twobob; 09-16-2012 at 10:26 AM. Reason: Trying to make the English clearer
Old 09-16-2012, 10:36 AM   #74
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@twobob: Same flags as the 3 for a 2/DX, no worries there .
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 10:56 AM   #75
twobob

Freescale i.MX31 rather than the i.MX35

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
@twobob: Same flags as the 3 for a 2/DX, no worries there .
Ah happy days then. I knew it had less memory, and I thought it ran the Freescale i.MX31 rather than the i.MX35

I checked and wikiP said "The CPU is of the same speed as Kindle 3 but it is of a different revision."

So I wasn't 100% on the arch flags being identical.
Thanks mate for clearing that up : )

So pretty much all stuff built for 3 works on DX? Excellent if that is the case.
I should have a play. Thanks again