Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 02-17-2012, 08:18 AM   #16
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
I own an iMac, an iPad, and an iPod. Does that make me a lemming?
Of course. None of us who buy Apple products do so for any good reason. It has to be for status, or image, or because we fall for their commercials.

Lee
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 08:36 AM   #17
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
I stood in line to see The Terminator, I've gone to midnight Harry Potter book openings...and I stood in line to buy my Mother's iPad 2. It can be fun to be part of the excitement of a popular launch.

I didn't stand in line for my iPad as I preordered it the day the opened up ordering. It has been the best $500 I've ever spent on entertainment. I'll either stand in line or preorder the iPad 3. I'll likely spend more this time, buying a model with more memory and LTE/3G.

If I were to divide the price of my iPad by the hours I use it, I'm paying about 50 cents. Easily the best bang for my entertainment dollars.

I buy these products because they delight me.

Lee
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 11:00 AM   #18
Sil_liS
Wizard
Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 903 & 360+
Quote:
Originally Posted by leebase View Post
If I were to divide the price of my iPad by the hours I use it, I'm paying about 50 cents. Easily the best bang for my entertainment dollars.

Aren't books cheaper than that?
Sil_liS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 11:11 AM   #19
Sil_liS
Wizard
Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 903 & 360+
Could it be an issue of the size and/or weight? If what you really want is 6"-7" but the only options are 9.7" and 3.5" it is possible that those who were undecided are predominately going for the smaller size.
Sil_liS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 11:16 AM   #20
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
I own an iMac, an iPad, and an iPod. Does that make me a lemming?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
Depends... Do you have a fur?

OT: I'd say that this is bad planning. These two devices shouldn't bite each other but complement each other. So, either release them together, or give the populace adequate time to recover from buying the first so they can buy the second... (in case of Apple, that would take a year or so )
My iPod is 5th Generation (non-touch), so it's getting up there in age. It doesn't compete with my iPad; I use them for different things. Although I did give some thought to getting some ear buds for the iPad and carrying it around in my pocket for listening to music and podcasts, but I'll be danged if I can figure out where Bob Keeshan bought his suits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leebase View Post
Of course. None of us who buy Apple products do so for any good reason. It has to be for status, or image, or because we fall for their commercials.

Lee
That's almost true. While it's clear that the only reason I bought an iPad was to impress folks here at MobileRead, I bought the iMac to keep the rest of the family off my PC.

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 02-17-2012 at 11:19 AM.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 11:34 AM   #21
Andrew H.
Grand Master of Flowers
Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle 3 (aka Keyboard), iPhone, iPad 3 (not for reading)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaKing View Post

My guess is that the Apple lemmings, as they leap off the cliff into the sea of this year's Air Jordan fanatics, and 3D TVs, and other cutting edge "acquirers," have only so much coin they can hurl into the Apple coffers. It must be agonizing for both the Lemmings (Apple customers) and to the Apple company that there just isn't any more money. Could this be the reason why Apple iTV hasn't taken off? The loyal and faithful have reached the limits on their credit cards? Their grandmother's egg money jar has been emptied? Their children's' college funds have been plundered?

Why in the world do you think it is appropriate to casually insult people who have made different technology choices than you? Why do you think that people who bought one cell phone are stupider than people who bought another? Why do you think that people who bought a tablet from your favored billion dollar multinational company are somehow more discerning that people who bought a tablet from a different billion dollar multinational company?

The thing is, the post about cannibalization was interesting until you decided it was appropriate to brand apple users are morons and cretins.
Andrew H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 11:42 AM   #22
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew H. View Post
Why in the world do you think it is appropriate to casually insult people who have made different technology choices than you?
The thing is, the post about cannibalization was interesting until you decided it was appropriate to brand apple users are morons and cretins.
I, personally, love the posts like the OP just for the answers it entices, exactly like yours.

It's all in good fun, no need to get overly excited.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 12:00 PM   #23
cjr72
Groupie
cjr72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cjr72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cjr72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cjr72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cjr72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cjr72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cjr72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cjr72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cjr72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cjr72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cjr72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 6p, Nexus 10
And when the iPad3 is released...

Quote:

Apple's biggest iPhone 4S rival: the iPad3

[I]"Research firm CJR says money that would have normally been devoted to the iPhone 4S during the holiday quarter actually went to the newly released iPad3.

Apple was its own worst enemy in the fourth quarter.

The biggest competitor to the iPhone 4S was the iPad 3, market researcher CJR said today in a report on smartphone sales in the fourth quarter. The firm concluded that despite other smartphone options, what curtailed sales of the iPhone 4S the most was customers committing their dollars to the iPad 3...
When will Apple learn not to cannibalize there own products? Clearly they need a new management team. I hear Kodak's will soon be available...
cjr72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 12:03 PM   #24
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The bottom line for me is what fits best into my lifestyle. I like Kindles better than Nooks, PCs better than iMacs, iPads better than Kindle Fires, but these are all based upon the fact that what they do best meet my needs. Someone whose habits and needs are different may come to a completely different conclusion, and that's fine. As long as people can agree with me that Mary Ann was always to be preferred over Ginger, I don't care what kind of electronic hardware they like best.

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 02-17-2012 at 12:06 PM.
Old 02-17-2012, 12:17 PM   #25
5thWiggle
Benevolent Evil Lord
5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 8.0, Galaxy Note, iPad Mini, PocketEdge(retired)
Quote:
As long as people can agree with me that Mary Ann was always to be preferred over Ginger
Burn you evil heretic!

5thWiggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 12:18 PM   #26
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5thWiggle View Post
Burn you evil heretic!

Infidel!
Old 02-17-2012, 01:13 PM   #27
5thWiggle
Benevolent Evil Lord
5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 8.0, Galaxy Note, iPad Mini, PocketEdge(retired)
Quote:
Infidel!
Well, I'm feeling generous so I won't start a holy war today. However I will send over the Inquisition to get your stance on the Barbara Eden Vs Elizabeth Montgomery issue.

Psst - You'd better be Dreaming of Jeanie if you know what's good for you!
5thWiggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 01:13 PM   #28
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
I, personally, love the posts like the OP just for the answers it entices, exactly like yours.

It's all in good fun, no need to get overly excited.
Why is all good fun to insult and make obnoxious comments on the net when the same people probably wouldn't ever say the same things to someone face-to-face... and it my be fun to you but (equally judging from the comments around MR) many people disagree with you and prefer non-personal remarks and factual comments... often few and far between...
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 03:56 PM   #29
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by elcreative View Post
Why is all good fun to insult and make obnoxious comments on the net when the same people probably wouldn't ever say the same things to someone face-to-face... and it my be fun to you but (equally judging from the comments around MR) many people disagree with you and prefer non-personal remarks and factual comments... often few and far between...
And it keeps on giving!

Honestly, I don't understand why some people get so worked out, the OP expressed his/her opinion, you don't have to agree, just express your different opinion and move on.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 04:19 PM   #30
catsittingstill
Guru
catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1.0.8, iPod Touch, Kindle Keyboard
I like my iPod Touch. But it's a different beastie from an iPad--just the fact that it fits in a pocket and is going to be with me anyway makes it fall into a different class of objects from something like an iPad (or a Kindle--though I love mine) that I have to decide to take along and then go get a backpack or a messenger bag for. I can imagine having to choose between them, but that's like having to choose between a toaster and a microwave when you can't afford both. You're probably planning to get the second when you can afford it.

And as for people buying Apple's iPhone rather than its iPad, that's a "problem" most companies would *love* to have. A lot of the companies making Android tablets, for example.

Now, I think it's great that companies other than Apple make phones and music players and tablets and such. I want people to be keeping Apple working hard to produce better and better products to stay on top. Any company will just coast if there is no competition and I don't imagine Apple is any exception.

So if you like something else--go for it! Hell, tell me what you like about it; maybe there's something wonderful out there I haven't found yet.
catsittingstill is offline   Reply With Quote