Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 10-03-2011, 11:33 PM   #1
shadenfroh
shadenfroh shares his or her toysshadenfroh shares his or her toysshadenfroh shares his or her toysshadenfroh shares his or her toysshadenfroh shares his or her toysshadenfroh shares his or her toysshadenfroh shares his or her toysshadenfroh shares his or her toysshadenfroh shares his or her toysshadenfroh shares his or her toysshadenfroh shares his or her toys

Device: none
Unhappy No Expansion = Deal Breaker

I really was looking forward to Kindle Fire, but now I'm on the fence.

8GB is not enough for the TV shows, PDFs, and music I have. If Fire had an SD card slot, I would have pre-ordered from day 1.

I don't know if I should just get used to transferring via USB or if I should wait for another tablet within $200.
shadenfroh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 11:42 PM   #2
BrowseTheStacks
BrowseTheStacks
BrowseTheStacks can name that song in three notesBrowseTheStacks can name that song in three notesBrowseTheStacks can name that song in three notesBrowseTheStacks can name that song in three notesBrowseTheStacks can name that song in three notesBrowseTheStacks can name that song in three notesBrowseTheStacks can name that song in three notesBrowseTheStacks can name that song in three notesBrowseTheStacks can name that song in three notesBrowseTheStacks can name that song in three notesBrowseTheStacks can name that song in three notes

Device: Kindle 3 3G + WI-FI
A kindle account comes with 5gb of free general cloud storage. It also comes with 5gb of personal document storage for books mailed to your account. Think of it as 18gb of storage.
BrowseTheStacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 11:53 PM   #3
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
It also has unlimited storage of Amazon content. I'm not saying I wouldn't like to see both more memory and an SD card slot, but it's not a make-it or break-it for me
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 12:14 AM   #4
kranu
I <3 my Kindle
kranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

Device: Kindle 3G + WiFi
Also, for a small monthly fee, you can get unlimited cloud player storage.
kranu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 01:46 AM   #5
yegon
Connoisseur
yegon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yegon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yegon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yegon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yegon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yegon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yegon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yegon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yegon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yegon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yegon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 505
Since no one is biting in the welcome thread, I'll cut and paste here...

The only thing I struggle to get my head around is the combo of low storage capacity and wifi only. Streaming/cloud is a big part of Amazon's strategy but doesn't the lack of 3G seriously hamper this functionality? I can understand the reasons of it being omitted - hardware cost and perhaps people's unwillingness to get tied into another data plan - but there being no option of the upsell surprises me. 3G option later perhaps? I can see that the last thing Amazon want is people filling it with their own content, but no 3G seems tos scupper the deal somewhat.

The Fire is not something I'm remotely interested in - I like local storage that allows high quality content, despite all talk of cloud I still don't think the infrastructure is good enough to equal good old fashioned local storage - but I can certainly see it succeeding with the masses.
yegon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 07:20 AM   #6
JeremyR
Guru
JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Nook HD+
Well, I think the assumption is that people will mostly use it in their own homes, which likely have Wi-Fi internet. I'm not even sure you can get a wired only router these days.
JeremyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 08:56 AM   #7
basschick
Wizard
basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

i don't like the idea of cloud storage. there's a usb port, though - can flash drives be used in the fire?
basschick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 09:12 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by basschick View Post
i don't like the idea of cloud storage. there's a usb port, though - can flash drives be used in the fire?
No, it's a USB client, not a USB host. ie, it's just like an eInk Kindle - you can plug it into a PC to charge it, or to transfer files to it, but you can't connect other USB devices to it.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 09:19 AM   #9
basschick
Wizard
basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

rats. well, no kindle fire for me

thanks for the info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
No, it's a USB client, not a USB host. ie, it's just like an eInk Kindle - you can plug it into a PC to charge it, or to transfer files to it, but you can't connect other USB devices to it.
basschick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 11:26 AM   #10
shadenfroh
shadenfroh shares his or her toysshadenfroh shares his or her toysshadenfroh shares his or her toysshadenfroh shares his or her toysshadenfroh shares his or her toysshadenfroh shares his or her toysshadenfroh shares his or her toysshadenfroh shares his or her toysshadenfroh shares his or her toysshadenfroh shares his or her toysshadenfroh shares his or her toys

Device: none
The problem with Cloud is the annoyance of uploading. Small files like ebooks might be fine, but not videos.
shadenfroh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 12:27 PM   #11
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadenfroh View Post
I don't know if I should just get used to transferring via USB or if I should wait for another tablet within $200.
Good luck with that. All the $200 range Android tablets I've seen are pretty bad. I doubt you will get as much bang from the buck from any other low-priced tablet.
Old 10-04-2011, 12:39 PM   #12
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
The fire is really not for someone that has a huge current library they want to consume. It is to consume stuff on the Amazon Cloud.

The "I don't like cloud" is becoming a minority opinion. Everything is moving to the cloud. Lion basically keeps most all of your stuff on the cloud. It is available on all your devices and automatically backed up on Apples cloud.

Android phones are tied to the google cloud. I have google plus and any photo I take on my phone is automatically added to my G+ account.

Sure, it might take time to upload your content to the cloud, but once it is there you can consume it on your fire and probably other devices coming down the pike.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 12:39 PM   #13
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by kranu View Post
Also, for a small monthly fee, you can get unlimited cloud player storage.
Unlimited? How?

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 12:50 PM   #14
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
I'm not a huge fan of all those clouds drifting around now either.

Well let me take that back. I don't mind the clouds but I like to carry much more than 8GB in my purse too. Why? Because that is the way I am. Do I always have to be reasonable? Yes, I'm quite often in WiFi connection territory but what if I'm not? Plus, on one end I have Amazon and Apple and all their friends pushing me into the clouds and on the other end I have Comcast and ATT limiting our data streaming usage. Poor me, stuck in the middle of the corporate giants.

I fully expect Amazon to be selling me the Fire (2) with expandable memory next year. I don't blame people for calling this a deal breaker though. 8GB is really anemic in today's market.
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 12:53 PM   #15
hn333
Addict
hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by yegon View Post
Since no one is biting in the welcome thread, I'll cut and paste here...

The only thing I struggle to get my head around is the combo of low storage capacity and wifi only. Streaming/cloud is a big part of Amazon's strategy but doesn't the lack of 3G seriously hamper this functionality? I can understand the reasons of it being omitted - hardware cost and perhaps people's unwillingness to get tied into another data plan - but there being no option of the upsell surprises me. 3G option later perhaps? I can see that the last thing Amazon want is people filling it with their own content, but no 3G seems tos scupper the deal somewhat.

The Fire is not something I'm remotely interested in - I like local storage that allows high quality content, despite all talk of cloud I still don't think the infrastructure is good enough to equal good old fashioned local storage - but I can certainly see it succeeding with the masses.
3G would make it cost more, if it had 3G it wouldn't be free.
hn333 is offline   Reply With Quote