Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe > enTourage Archive

Notices

Old 12-17-2010, 02:03 AM   #1
kveroneau
Edge User

Question Problem with the barcode reader app

I really enjoy using the barcode reader app on my Android phone, but for some reason when I use this app on the eDGe, the app is unable to auto-focus on the barcode like my phone does. Since it cannot auto-focus on the barcode, it's too blurry to read the barcode.

Is there an auto focus setting somewhere in the eDGe which needs to be enabled?

http://www.slideme.org/en/application/barcode-scanner

Old 12-17-2010, 09:29 AM   #2
borisb
Edge User

There isn't on the large eDGe, but on the Pocket eDGe, in the Camera app press "Menu" then "Settings" and you can set the auto focus mode. Not sure if this setting is picked up in other apps, but those apps may have their own Settings.

Old 12-17-2010, 02:53 PM   #3
Dr. T
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kveroneau View Post
I really enjoy using the barcode reader app on my Android phone, but for some reason when I use this app on the eDGe, the app is unable to auto-focus on the barcode like my phone does. Since it cannot auto-focus on the barcode, it's too blurry to read the barcode.

Is there an auto focus setting somewhere in the eDGe which needs to be enabled?

http://www.slideme.org/en/application/barcode-scanner
It may not be the focus that is the problem... check this out.

Old 12-17-2010, 05:20 PM   #4
alex_edge
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. T View Post
It may not be the focus that is the problem... check this out.
Did Tech Support never get back to you about this?

Old 12-17-2010, 05:20 PM   #5
kveroneau
Edge User

Hopefully it is something fixable. The barcode app is very nice for scanning in book barcodes in stores to locate the book online for purchase on the eDGe. Something that no other e-book reader can currently offer.

Old 12-17-2010, 06:07 PM   #6
Dr. T
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex_edge View Post
Did Tech Support never get back to you about this?
They said they were aware of the issue... but that's it.

Old 12-17-2010, 06:35 PM   #7
Paintbrush
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kveroneau View Post
Hopefully it is something fixable. The barcode app is very nice for scanning in book barcodes in stores to locate the book online for purchase on the eDGe. Something that no other e-book reader can currently offer.
Okay, you answered the first question I was going to ask with your post, but now I have a second question...
How exactly does it work? I scan by ___ ? and then once it reads the code, it goes and finds all places on the web that offer it? Or just checks if it is available at Entourage? or ???

Old 12-18-2010, 07:19 PM   #8
kveroneau
Edge User

It does a web search on the UPC code, and in most situations the results contain an online store where the book can be purchased. If you have Google Shopper installed on your Android device, it can also use that to display information about the product as well.

This would benefit a user who would use their eDGe to store their shopping lists. At the store they could scan in the barcode to see more about a product, compare similar products, and compare prices. Google Shopper also has reviews. Although the online abilities will be rather limited unless you are in a Wifi-enabled store/mall, or have the 3G model of the eDGe(which is yet to be released). Although the barcodes can be stored on the device and then looked up once a connection is found.

Old 12-18-2010, 10:28 PM   #9
cheyennedonna
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paintbrush View Post
Okay, you answered the first question I was going to ask with your post, but now I have a second question...
How exactly does it work? I scan by ___ ? and then once it reads the code, it goes and finds all places on the web that offer it? Or just checks if it is available at Entourage? or ???
I use it on my phone to scan items in a store, it searches and I can find the lowest available price that way. Not too much use for the edge that way though unless WiFi is available.

Old 12-18-2010, 10:32 PM   #10
borisb
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheyennedonna View Post
Not too much use for the edge that way though unless WiFi is available.
I do love my mifi