Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 02-06-2013, 08:46 PM   #1
Auricle
Connoisseur
Auricle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Auricle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Auricle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Auricle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Auricle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Auricle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Auricle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Auricle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Auricle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Auricle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Auricle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H20
Games Workshop wants to trademark Space Marines?

Saw this on Reddit:

"In the Future, All Space Marines Will Be Warhammer 40K Space Marines"
http://mcahogarth.org/?p=10593

Pretty ridiculous if you ask me, especially the part that Amazon is playing in this.
Auricle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 08:54 PM   #2
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
Title slightly misleading... GW have TMd "Space Marines" but in this case they are just bullying as their TM refers to games , figures etc but NOT books... welcome to the TM version of the patent wars except GW prefer picking on people who can't afford to fight back... typical big company bullying and it needs stamping on...

Even a simple Google search for "Space Marine" provides ample evidence to invalidate their attempt to intimidate an author as there is plenty of prior art such as
Quote:
Bob Olsen in his short story "Captain Brink of the Space Marines" (Amazing Stories, Volume 7, Number 8, November 1932)
which is just a tad earlier than anything GW has ever done and the rest of the info at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_marine gives many more uses prior to the existence of GW...
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 09:08 PM   #3
teh603
Autism Spectrum Disorder
teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android Phone
GW's list of trademarks is freaking insane. "Rhino" and "Razorback" are also IIRC on it. Now try telling the State of Arkansas that its state animal violates GW IP?

Either way, they're probably doing it because another company recently trademark-sniped something of theirs because they didn't have a miniature of it available. Its Ford and the script- on- blue logo all over again.
teh603 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 09:09 PM   #4
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
Popehat is already on it, and support for this author is strong. I'm curious to see how this goes.

http://www.popehat.com/2013/02/06/th...ademark-claim/
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 09:23 PM   #5
teh603
Autism Spectrum Disorder
teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

One other thing comes to mind- the last high-profile bullying case like this from a game company, at least as far as I can remember, was TSR trying to shut down all other RPG companies on the grounds that TSR had some kind of claim to have originated the concept of a RPG.

It was no coincidence that TSR was bought out by Wizards of the Coast a very short time after this failed; TSR was on the brink of collapse. This sort of thing makes me wonder if GW's financials are in as good a shape as everyone would like to believe.

Not to say I'll be happy if GW collapses; far the contrary. The only remaining miniatures games have no narrative aspect and feel too much like I'm playing a video game on the tabletop.
Old 02-06-2013, 09:47 PM   #6
Freeshadow
temp. out of service
Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB 623
Quote:
Originally Posted by teh603 View Post
GW's list of trademarks is freaking insane. "Rhino" and "Razorback" are also IIRC on it.
So is "Orc" as opposed to "Ork"
Freeshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 10:17 PM   #7
Auricle
Connoisseur
Auricle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Auricle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Auricle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Auricle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Auricle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Auricle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Auricle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Auricle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Auricle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Auricle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Auricle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H20
But I guess the other part that bothered me about this is that Amazon blocked the sale of this ebook world-wide based on GW's complaint to Amazon UK Kindle publishing based on Trademark class that isn't even applicable in the US. I'm sure some of this is Amazon wanting to appease a large company that it makes a lot of money from over a single author who they'll make very little money from.
Auricle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 10:21 PM   #8
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
In their last email to me, Games Workshop stated that they believe that their recent entrée into the e-book market gives them the common law trademark for the term "space marine" in all formats.
Quote:
When I called Games Workshop and pointed out previous books using the word "space marine," they told me their grounds for complaint was based on the European trademark (which is not valid in the US). I explained that, and was told they believed their publication of novels and e-books awards them a common law trademark in America.
http://io9.com/5982201/games-worksho...get-pissed-off

Last edited by AnemicOak; 02-06-2013 at 11:30 PM.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 11:25 PM   #9
forsooth
tec montage
forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindles, lenovo, chromebook, mobiles
I find this interesting

I try to remember where first saw "space marine"

author Poul Anderson maybe

come to me later
forsooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 02:22 AM   #10
taustin
Wizard
taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook
Quote:
One other thing comes to mind- the last high-profile bullying case like this from a game company, at least as far as I can remember, was TSR trying to shut down all other RPG companies on the grounds that TSR had some kind of claim to have originated the concept of a RPG.

It was no coincidence that TSR was bought out by Wizards of the Coast a very short time after this failed; TSR was on the brink of collapse.
Er, no, not really. TSR played some legal games, but they had valid trademarks that Mayfair acknowledged in a contact. The lawsuit was over whether or not they lived up to that contract. And TSR largely lost, since that ruling was bascially that "suitable for use with" was not a trademark violation in the game industry.

The reason TSR was on the brink of collapse was because Gygax wanted to do everything but publish roleplaying game. He wanted to make movies, IIRC, a hobby that costs orders of magnitude more money than TSR was ever worth.

Quote:
This sort of thing makes me wonder if GW's financials are in as good a shape as everyone would like to believe.

Not to say I'll be happy if GW collapses; far the contrary. The only remaining miniatures games have no narrative aspect and feel too much like I'm playing a video game on the tabletop.
The reason there are no other decent miniatures games is that GW has run everybody else out of business. It wouldn't be so bad if their miniatures didn't look so silly.
taustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 02:24 AM   #11
taustin
Wizard
taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auricle View Post
But I guess the other part that bothered me about this is that Amazon blocked the sale of this ebook world-wide based on GW's complaint to Amazon UK Kindle publishing based on Trademark class that isn't even applicable in the US. I'm sure some of this is Amazon wanting to appease a large company that it makes a lot of money from over a single author who they'll make very little money from.
Amazon sells Warhammer stuff, after all. If GW pulls their product line, Amazon loses a lot more than they do from one (or a handful) of indie published novels.

(I agree, though, that it's pretty slimy. But given Amazon's history, not surprising at all.)
taustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 04:07 AM   #12
David Munch
Scholar
David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O + iPad Air 4
Quote:
It was no coincidence that TSR was bought out by Wizards of the Coast a very short time after this failed; TSR was on the brink of collapse. This sort of thing makes me wonder if GW's financials are in as good a shape as everyone would like to believe.
I would be surprised if that is the case. Their share price is high, sales are high, they have several nice IPs that ain't going anywhere soon.

If anything was wrong, it would be dropping sales, due to GW's bad reputation and extreme prices I'd say.

Quote:
In my opinion GW is the leading horse when it comes to dumbing down (Or WOWification..) tabletop games..
David Munch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 04:14 AM   #13
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Never heard of Games Workshop or Space Marines.

Monkey doesn't dabble in the occult world of gaming
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 05:22 AM   #14
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20, Pixel 2, Samsung Chromebook Plus
I used to frequent the first Games Workshop store in the late 70s/early 80s, back when they were at the heart of role-playing and alternate board games in the UK, and subscribed to the early years of White Dwarf. I was living just a couple of streets away from the shop for a year.

However, when they reduced their focus to miniatures and their own system I lost interest. Highly profitable move for them, but left me cold.

Graham
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 08:13 AM   #15
teh603
Autism Spectrum Disorder

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Munch View Post
I would be surprised if that is the case. Their share price is high, sales are high, they have several nice IPs that ain't going anywhere soon.
So was Enron's stock right before the collapse.

Quote:
In my opinion GW is the leading horse when it comes to dumbing down (Or WOWification..) tabletop games..
I dunno. The current edition seems to be adding even more complexity to the system, compared to previous ones. Either way, my complaint wasn't so much about simplifying the rules as the elimination of narrative. Two entirely different things.

In a GW game, there's always the option of choosing a generic hero, choosing his wargear, and having him be a viable choice on the field. In a Privateer Press game, you're required to use one of their named characters. As a result, there's no roleplaying option. You might as well be playing Final Fantasy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by taustin View Post
The reason there are no other decent miniatures games is that GW has run everybody else out of business. It wouldn't be so bad if their miniatures didn't look so silly.
Privateer Press is doing well. WotC's miniatures games have also done fairly well, even when you consider their horrible distribution model and low-quality casts.

Last edited by teh603; 02-07-2013 at 08:22 AM.