Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Astak EZReader

Notices

Old 01-13-2010, 10:49 AM   #1
dkarale
dkarale began at the beginning.

Device: EZreader PP, PDA, WM Smart Phone, UMPC, Netbook
Astak 5" EzReader Pro availability???

Hi..just wondering why the 6" EZreader is availabled at many local stores and the 5" EZreader pro is only limited to 2 or 3 online stores? I think the 5" reader has been available in the US for almost 3 or 4 months, why the distribution is still very limited? Most of the local stores/online stores only carry the 6" Astak reader. I really want to see the 5" Astak reader can be wider available in many stores and I can check it out in person from local stores (New York City)...Thanks.

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 01-18-2010 at 01:35 PM. Reason: Corrected the word "Astak" - Dr. Drib
dkarale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 11:05 AM   #2
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkarale View Post
Hi..just wondering why the 6" EZreader is availabled at many local stores and the 5" EZreader pro is only limited to 2 or 3 online stores? I think the 5" reader has been available in the US for almost 3 or 4 months, why the distribution is still very limited? Most of the local stores/online stores only carry the 6" Astak reader. I really want to see the 5" Astak reader can be wider available in many stores and I can check it out in person from local stores (New York City)...Thanks.
The price point on the 5" is really tight. The original intent was to offer it only directly from Astak to avoid mult-level markups. But the unit was too good and dealers are demanding it. There were many dealers and even distributors hounding the booth at CES so I expect the 5" will be available in more stores. Cartoys has it in their retail stores by the way. It is going to be hard to hold the price point below $200 I would expect unless you do things like removing the case and charger like the competition does.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-14-2010, 06:38 PM   #3
Robertb
Astak Director, Bus. Devl
Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO
Let's see Pocket PRO in New York!

Quote:
Dear dkarale:

Funny you should ask just as we get into this.

We have been trying to get the Pocket PRO into New York and the East Coast.

The margin on the Pocket PRO is really tight. All of you want it at $200 plus freight. We can do this online OR you can buy it at Car Toys (Texas, Washington State, Colorado, Oregon) and not have to pay frieght but pay a bit more for the purchase.

J&R of New York City came to our booth at CES and soon we will be flying to New York to meet with them. They want it... but can we make the margin work? Stay tuned! We are trying.

Your point is very well taken; and thank you for a great post.
Robertb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 02:08 PM   #4
dkarale

Thank you, Robert, for the information on the possibility of the Astak ez reader might be coming to the East Coast. J&R is located close to Wall Street and the Ground Zero Site. I work few blocks away from the J&R store and visit the store from time to time. It carries many products within the stores. I always go there to check out the actual items (if it's available) before I ordered online. Sometimes J&R offers a very good deal on an item, especially on clearence/close-out items. The point of if any Astak products (ebook readers) would be available at J&R store means there might be a good chance of future Astak products will be available at the J&R store too. J&R is a very good store with many local customers and tourists from other countries.

I ordered the 5" EZ Pocket Pro + 1 extra battery from Astak.com last week. According to the tracking information provided by Astak (tracking received the same day), the package will be deliver on 01/20/2001. Other online stores such as CarToys and Newegg are selling the the 5" EZ PP for $230 + freeshipping. One of the reasons I am buying an Astak item is based on the good Astak customer service/support I read on this forum, especially Robert's helpful responds on other users/people's questions/requests. It gives me a feeling of Astak is taking care of their customers and not turning it's back on them. Robert, you just got one more Astak customer because of you.

I am looking forward to my soon to arrive Ezreader Pocket Pro and future Astak products. I am sure the Ezreader Pocket Pro will not be the only Astak product I use/buy in the future. I will keep my eyes on Astak's future products.

P.S. The Ezreder Pocket Pro will be my first Ebook Reader.

Last edited by dkarale; 01-16-2010 at 02:45 PM.
Old 01-16-2010, 02:38 PM   #5
Davimee
Happy Wife & Momma
Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Purple Astak Pocket Pro! :)
Quote:
J&R is a very good store with many local customers and tourists from other countries.

One of the reasons I am buying an Astak item is based on the good Astak customer service/support I read on this forum, especially Robert's helpful responses on other users/people's questions/requests. It gives me a feeling of Astak is taking care of their customers and not turning it's back on them. Robert, you just got one more Astak customer because of you.
dkarale, as to J&R, I agree it's a great store! I live near the West Coast, and bought my netbook through J&R last year. They had the best price, and even though I had to wait a little longer to get it, I was very happy with my purchase, and their customer service. And I also agree on Astak's customer service! I haven't yet bought my Pocket Pro, but I'm definitely going with Astak, and a big part of that is the customer service I've seen here on the forums. It's why I eliminated Sony from my decision, and decided to go with Astak.
Davimee is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-17-2010, 10:31 PM   #6
Phogg
PHD in Horribleness
Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Just a whole bunch. I guess I am a collector now.
I will chime in and say my father and I have bought mail order from J&R since the 80s.
Their shiping and customer service is excellent.
Phogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 01:07 PM   #7
Robertb
Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Welcome dkarale!!

Quote:
Thank you, Robert, for the information on the possibility of the Astak ez reader might be coming to the East Coast. J&R is located close to Wall Street and the Ground Zero Site. I work few blocks away from the J&R store and visit the store from time to time. It carries many products within the stores. I always go there to check out the actual items (if it's available) before I ordered online. Sometimes J&R offers a very good deal on an item, especially on clearence/close-out items. The point of if any Astak products (ebook readers) would be available at J&R store means there might be a good chance of future Astak products will be available at the J&R store too. J&R is a very good store with many local customers and tourists from other countries.

I ordered the 5" EZ Pocket Pro + 1 extra battery from Astak.com last week. According to the tracking information provided by Astak (tracking received the same day), the package will be deliver on 01/20/2001. Other online stores such as CarToys and Newegg are selling the the 5" EZ PP for $230 + freeshipping. One of the reasons I am buying an Astak item is based on the good Astak customer service/support I read on this forum, especially Robert's helpful responds on other users/people's questions/requests. It gives me a feeling of Astak is taking care of their customers and not turning it's back on them. Robert, you just got one more Astak customer because of you.

I am looking forward to my soon to arrive Ezreader Pocket Pro and future Astak products. I am sure the Ezreader Pocket Pro will not be the only Astak product I use/buy in the future. I will keep my eyes on Astak's future products.

P.S. The EZreader Pocket Pro will be my first Ebook Reader.
Dear dkarale:

We are overjoyed to have you on this Designated Astak Forum!!

I know you are going to love the Pocket PRO, so I do not need to wish you a joyous time. I have a lot of faith in our little beauty!

Your Pocket PRO comes with a screwdriver in the box for access to the battery door (although any small philips head screwdriver will work fine). Popping in your spare battery is a 20 second pleasure.

Thank you, ALL, for saying great things about J&R!! Hope to be in there soon!

One thing you will find on this forum is that very often there are people who know more about the Pocket PRO than I... so you will find great help here. Please charge the battery overnight when you recieve the Pocket PRO and read the FAQ sheet on www.theEZreader.com under "support". That will help get you off to a fine start with lots of tips.

We want you here and are overjoyed to meet you here!!
Old 01-18-2010, 01:15 PM   #8
Davimee
Happy Wife & Momma
Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertb View Post
Please charge the battery overnight when you recieve the Pocket PRO and read the FAQ sheet on www.theEZreader.com under "support". That will help get you off to a fine start with lots of tips.

We want you here and are overjoyed to meet you here!!
Robertb, I have a quick question about charging the Pocket Pro... you've mentioned charging it overnight, but I've read it only takes a few hours to charge it. Once it's fully charged, why does it need to continue charging before being used? I don't know much about technical things, so maybe this is just something you need to do with all electronics and computers... but I've been curious. When I'm able to get mine, it will be hard to be patient for a whole nuther day to wait while it charges!
Old 01-18-2010, 01:41 PM   #9
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davimee View Post
Robertb, I have a quick question about charging the Pocket Pro... you've mentioned charging it overnight, but I've read it only takes a few hours to charge it. Once it's fully charged, why does it need to continue charging before being used? I don't know much about technical things, so maybe this is just something you need to do with all electronics and computers... but I've been curious. When I'm able to get mine, it will be hard to be patient for a whole nuther day to wait while it charges!
In reality, Batteries never reach 100%. The charge curve is always approaching 100%. We just call it 100% for human purposes.
A good charger never never charges and then disables. It checks, and "tops off". A new system need time to establish these points, so best practices says: "Charge overnight", I found it did take over 8 hours using the wall charger, to see the "Pull plug" symbol.

You can play with your new PEz while tethered to the wall or PC USB, but give it a good charge before flashing with the latest firmware (which improves battery runtime).
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 02:30 PM   #10
Robertb

Mr. Duckee is right!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davimee View Post
Dear Davimee:

The Ducks is a valuable source of Knowledge. Trust him!

We always say "charge overnight" only because such full charging can help the battery keep a charge better. Never fully trust any Battery Charge Life gauge. They are not flawlessly accurate anyway and are even worse when you first get a unit. It takes a while for the gauge to "learn" from the battery. I use my gauge purely to know approximately when to charge. When it gets down to just less than 1/2 full... I recharge!

What I have learned is that any eBook Reader, including the Pocket PRO, acts weird when the charge gets low. It can freeze or hang up or turn pages slowly. 99% of any problems with the Pocket PRO can be traced to a low charge in my humble opinion!

So, with anybody who is just receiving the unit... before they freak out thinking they got a bad unit... charge overnight. You do not need to do this really overnight. You can do this in about 7-8 hours during the day.
Old 01-18-2010, 02:37 PM   #11
Davimee
Happy Wife & Momma

Ok, that makes sense. Thanks TheDucks and Robertb! I love these forums!
Old 01-19-2010, 01:51 PM   #12
vmo
vmo began at the beginning.

Device: none
Dear Robert
Greetings from Durban, South Africa!
I am interested in 5" EZ reader. Where is it available?
Do you have any dealer who sells the item here?
Thanks!
vmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 02:57 PM   #13
dkarale

vmo, go to www.astak.com or www.theezreader.com, they ship international. Hope everything will work out for you.
Old 01-19-2010, 03:59 PM   #14
Robertb

Technically, we can only sell online to non-Americas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmo View Post
Dear Robert
Greetings from Durban, South Africa!
I am interested in 5" EZ reader. Where is it available?
Do you have any dealer who sells the item here?
Thanks!
Dear VMO:

Good question and welcome to our forum!!

It is pouring rain here in Sunny California. How is it is South Africa?

You can only buy the Pocket PRO (5 inch) from www.astak.com if you live outside the Americas. Our territory is North and South America! ALTHOUGH, we are making a move to get into Australia and New Zealand now.

I am sorry, vmo, but no retail stores planned for South Africa!! Only www.astak.com!!