Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 03-26-2009, 12:45 AM   #1
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
calibre 0.5.3 supports emailing books to the Kindle

Hi all,

I finally got around to implementing the long promised email support in calibre. As of 0.5.3 you can click a button to mail books to your kindle and have calibre automatically mail downloaded news to it as well. The email support is not kindle specific, so you can use it to email yourself books as attachments and access them on any device that lets you read email and has an ebook viewer.

To set it up, start the preferences, go to "Email delivery", and type in a From email address (all emails sent by calibre will appear to come from this email address). Then just add as many To email address as you want and calibre will mail books to all of them. Once that's done, click the little arrow next to the Send to device button to actually email a book.

calibre will normally try to send mail to the destination address directly from the computer it is running on, but if this doesn't work (because the destination email service only accepts mail from "well known" mail servers), you can also have calibre use your mail server to send the mails.

Of course all these features are extremely beta, so YMMV.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 01:07 AM   #2
Gideon
Wearer of Pants
Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Amazon Kindle DX / iPhone
Woohoo! Can't wait to try them out!
Gideon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-26-2009, 01:49 AM   #3
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
It doesn't seem to work for me (using gmail).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	calibre tls error.JPG
Views:	1026
Size:	37.6 KB
ID:	26412   Click image for larger version

Name:	calibre ssl error.JPG
Views:	814
Size:	37.8 KB
ID:	26413   Click image for larger version

Name:	calibre ls 465 error.JPG
Views:	679
Size:	28.0 KB
ID:	26414   Click image for larger version

Name:	gmail set-up.JPG
Views:	642
Size:	50.6 KB
ID:	26415  

Last edited by daffy4u; 03-26-2009 at 02:21 AM.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 02:38 AM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

didyou try it wthout using a server?
Old 03-26-2009, 09:46 AM   #5
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
didyou try it wthout using a server?
Nope but I will and I'll report back.
Advert
Old 03-26-2009, 10:48 AM   #6
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Still no luck.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	calibre with no server error.JPG
Views:	796
Size:	32.6 KB
ID:	26431  
Old 03-26-2009, 01:09 PM   #7
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles: Paperwhite Signature Ed., Oasis 2, Voyage
Thanks, Kovid!

Works fine for me, without specifying a server.
bwaldron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 01:10 PM   #8
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwaldron View Post
Thanks, Kovid!

Works fine for me.
Can you share your settings? Maybe I'm not setting it up properly (I've tried on 2 different computers).
Old 03-26-2009, 01:21 PM   #9
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles: Paperwhite Signature Ed., Oasis 2, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
Can you share your settings? Maybe I'm not setting it up properly (I've tried on 2 different computers).
I entered my [kindlename]@kindle.com as email address, and just MOBI under formats. Have "Auto send" checked. "Send email from" is one of my standard email addresses, registered at Amazon's "manage your kindle" page as one which can be used to send books to the Kindle.

I'm not using any of the mail server options.
bwaldron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 01:21 PM   #10
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Still no luck.
I got the same error.
Code:
Failed to send mail: SMTPServerDisconnected('Connection unexpectedly closed',)
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "calibre\gui2\device.pyo", line 389, in _send_mails
File "C:\Program Files\calibre\library.zip\calibre\utils\smtp.py", line 81, in sendmail
File "C:\Program Files\calibre\library.zip\calibre\utils\smtp.py", line 73, in sendmail_direct
IOError: Failed to send mail: SMTPServerDisconnected('Connection unexpectedly closed',)
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 01:25 PM   #11
Emmanuel
Emmanuel began at the beginning.

Device: cybook
Hmm... I'm not very happy about the python2.6 upgrade. calibre won't install anymore. Now I'm trying to get install python 2.6 locally on my system, but this is a hack, I'm not sure it'll work.

Was the upgrade to python-2.6 that important?? Its very new.
Emmanuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 01:48 PM   #12
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwaldron View Post
I entered my [kindlename]@kindle.com as email address, and just MOBI under formats. Have "Auto send" checked. "Send email from" is one of my standard email addresses, registered at Amazon's "manage your kindle" page as one which can be used to send books to the Kindle.

I'm not using any of the mail server options.
Yep, I did that as well without luck.
Old 03-26-2009, 01:50 PM   #13
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
I got the same error.
Code:
Failed to send mail: SMTPServerDisconnected('Connection unexpectedly closed',)
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "calibre\gui2\device.pyo", line 389, in _send_mails
File "C:\Program Files\calibre\library.zip\calibre\utils\smtp.py", line 81, in sendmail
File "C:\Program Files\calibre\library.zip\calibre\utils\smtp.py", line 73, in sendmail_direct
IOError: Failed to send mail: SMTPServerDisconnected('Connection unexpectedly closed',)
Ah, it's good know (though not good for you) that I'm not the only one.
Old 03-26-2009, 01:59 PM   #14
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Yep, I did that as well without luck.
How does this work? It doesn't require you to be running an SMTP server on local host does it?

Is there a place to put your username and password in? Does gmail allow for SMTP outgoing mail?

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 01:59 PM   #15
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

@daffy4u and Nate the great

Can one or both of you run the following command in a terminal

Code:
calibre-smtp from@whatever.com to@somethingelse.com "test email"
Replace from@... with your from address

and to@ with your to address