Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 03-28-2013, 02:02 PM   #181
BearMountainBooks
Maria Schneider
BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3g Kindle Keyboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
Re: music industry revenue streams:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...259031536.html
That was kind of my earlier point, and it generally does apply to those who are able to get gigs. But even smaller gigs in pubs/bars pay quite a bit from what I understand.

A writer can do a reading, but I've never been to one where the writer was paid or had a larger audience that about 5. I've been to some that were entertaining (the best was when a local comedian was asked to do the introductions and keep things moving). But in general, I can go read all day long, even on a street corner (busking) but I'm not as likely to get money thrown into my guitar case.

I don't know of a venue where a writer can draw 20,000 people to a stadium and charge upwards of 75 bucks a ticket. Or even 25 bucks a ticket for that matter.

I don't think it would even work for Rawlings. Now, if the ACTORS from the movie showed up and agreed to babble, you could probably bring in a crowd!
BearMountainBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 02:09 PM   #182
Fluribus
Guru
Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
They have very highly paid financial analysts and executives who believe that the extra 22 cents is compensated for by the losses they avoid by blocking casual sharing. We can argue our opinions and anecdotal evidence, but they are banking their business on it, so I presume their research is, um, at least as thorough as those who post about it here.
I would never assume that. I see executives making claims that I know aren't true. On things that would not require more than cursory research.

I heard an economist say that when he is called to consult, executives never allow him to do the research that he wants to do. They always "know" that already. He seemed to ascribe it to a fear of admitting that they don't know. I suspect that oftentimes they truly believe that they do know. By osmosis.

I have personally witnessed executive decisions made that flew in the face of all evidence. Profits would increase. Errors would decrease. Employees and clients would be happier. Every bit of data indicates the proper choice. The boss, however, isn't comfortable doing that. I've seen an executive veto a change because he didn't want to learn the new procedure (even though he never actually did the procedure).

Never assume that anyone knows. Except me. I'll let you know if I don't know.
Fluribus is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-28-2013, 02:54 PM   #183
BearMountainBooks
Maria Schneider
BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluribus View Post
I would never assume that. I see executives making claims that I know aren't true. On things that would not require more than cursory research.

I heard an economist say that when he is called to consult, executives never allow him to do the research that he wants to do. They always "know" that already. He seemed to ascribe it to a fear of admitting that they don't know. I suspect that oftentimes they truly believe that they do know. By osmosis.

I have personally witnessed executive decisions made that flew in the face of all evidence. Profits would increase. Errors would decrease. Employees and clients would be happier. Every bit of data indicates the proper choice. The boss, however, isn't comfortable doing that. I've seen an executive veto a change because he didn't want to learn the new procedure (even though he never actually did the procedure).

Never assume that anyone knows. Except me. I'll let you know if I don't know.
Have to agree with this assessment. Things can stay broken for a very long time because that is the way they were always done...
Old 03-28-2013, 04:58 PM   #184
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by BearMountainBooks View Post
That was kind of my earlier point, and it generally does apply to those who are able to get gigs. But even smaller gigs in pubs/bars pay quite a bit from what I understand!
A couple friends of mine had a band and they played the local bar circuit and did well enough. They cut a couple of indie CDs and had no trouble getting the disks into the local stores. Even Best Buy.
They got coverage in the local papers and even a couple of radio stations had them on.
Indie writers getting that kind of support in a major metro area?
Not likely. Not yet.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 05:56 PM   #185
BearMountainBooks
Maria Schneider

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
A couple friends of mine had a band and they played the local bar circuit and did well enough. They cut a couple of indie CDs and had no trouble getting the disks into the local stores. Even Best Buy.
They got coverage in the local papers and even a couple of radio stations had them on.
Indie writers getting that kind of support in a major metro area?
Not likely. Not yet.
This is pretty much what my husband says--indie musicians enjoy a support network--other musicians pretty much respect them no matter whether they are starting out, players looking to play or be in a band, etc. It's a different culture. That's not to say it isn't competitive. That's not to say that individual musicians may get a reputation for being hard to work with, etc. But there's definitely a different culture. That sort of culture may evolve with writers too over time, but in many ways, writing is a much more solitary endeavor. I don't know, but it's an interesting comparison.
Advert
Old 03-28-2013, 06:30 PM   #186
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Reading a novel from a new author takes a lot longer than listening to a new band.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 04:52 PM   #187
Freeshadow
temp. out of service
Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB 623
Quote:
This is pretty much what my husband says--indie musicians enjoy a support network--other musicians pretty much respect them no matter whether they are starting out, players looking to play or be in a band, etc. It's a different culture. That's not to say it isn't competitive. That's not to say that individual musicians may get a reputation for being hard to work with, etc. But there's definitely a different culture. That sort of culture may evolve with writers too over time, but in many ways, writing is a much more solitary endeavor. I don't know, but it's an interesting comparison.
THAT.
The perspective of a group activity like playing in a band will hardly attract a loner.
You don't need a group for writing.
Freeshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 03:04 PM   #188
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Quote:
I don't know of a venue where a writer can draw 20,000 people to a stadium and charge upwards of 75 bucks a ticket. Or even 25 bucks a ticket for that matter.
It used to be possible. Or, well, nothing like that income level, but nonfiction authors used to be able to do a "lecture circuit" that involved going to places that charged for entry, and they'd lecture on their topic of choice, and get paid.

This practice started falling apart with the advent of radio, and television pretty much killed it. It still happens occasionally, but it's no longer a career track anyone can count on. And of course, it only works for those authors who are entertaining public speakers. The modern equivalent, I suppose, is wildly successful blog authors like Doctorow and Scalzi.

It's a good opportunity for those who can manage it, but lack of great public speaking skills (or public blogging skills) does not indicate lack of talent as a writer, and writing for money, as a career, is going through substantial changes. And the solutions that work for performing artists of all sorts are not going to be the ones that work for authors.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 06:12 PM   #189
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
How could libraries operate without DRM? It's essential for some aspects of reading books.
Put the DRM only in the library version then.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote