Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 07-21-2012, 03:53 PM   #31
Barcey
Wizard
Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O / Aura HD / Glo / iPad3
This is why everyone needs to contact the American DOJ and complain about their actions against the publishers. If they aren't allowed to conspire to implement agency pricing then Amazon will gain a monopoly and force the authors to sign contracts just like this one. You have to understand that this is all part of the legacy publishing author development program. It's important that author's experience bad contracts like this so they know what to look out for in the future. Even if it costs more then the value of the contract it's important that you engage a lawyer and and an accountant to review the contract before you sign.
Oh sure you might think that the 70% that Amazon is offering looks pretty good but remember that's just the lobster and champaign dinner they're giving you before they take you back to their apartment and sign you up for a 3% contract. Amazon will do it out of pure corporate greed too, they won't have you best interest at heart.

I'm hoping to get a job working for the BPH perception management firms. I think with a little polishing around the rough edges I'll be in like Justin Bieber into a pack of 12 year old girls.
Barcey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 06:53 PM   #32
Sil_liS
Wizard
Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 903 & 360+
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
If H have broken their contract then yes, absolutely. And that's for the court to decide.
I meant: protect them from these types of contracts.
Sil_liS is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-21-2012, 07:29 PM   #33
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sil_liS View Post
The issue isn't the contract; the issue headed to court is the dodge Harlequin used to avoid living up to the contract terms.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 09:17 PM   #34
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phogg View Post
The problem with disgruntled employees, is that sometimes they have a legitimate reason to be disgruntled.
I believe that that is almost always the case. I've often wondered why the dismissal of someone as a disgruntled employee is accepted. Of course he's disgruntled! If he weren't, he wouldn't have said anything. Now answer the charge!
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 09:18 PM   #35
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barcey View Post
This is why everyone needs to contact the American DOJ and complain about their actions against the publishers. If they aren't allowed to conspire to implement agency pricing then Amazon will gain a monopoly and force the authors to sign contracts just like this one.
Amazon isn't going to get a monopoly. Authors are free to sell at BN, at ARE (if they're in that genre), at Smashwords and its affiliates. Amazon can't force authors to take a 3% royalty; Smashwords offers 85%.

Amazon gets more sales... but authors who will take 70% exclusive with Amazon over any sales at SW, aren't going to agree to 3% at Amazon instead of 85% at SW. They know they'd sell more units at Amazon, but won't expect to sell 28x more--and be willing to allow Amazon to take 97% in exchange for SEO and file-hosting software.

(It occurs to me that I can't tell how sarcastic you're being. Doesn't matter; there are some people who really do think Amazon is going to pull some kind of bait-and-switch. And they might try it--but, even as much as they dominate the market, they don't own it.)
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-21-2012, 09:43 PM   #36
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barcey View Post
This is why everyone needs to contact the American DOJ and complain about their actions against the publishers. If they aren't allowed to conspire to implement agency pricing then Amazon will gain a monopoly and force the authors to sign contracts just like this one. You have to understand that this is all part of the legacy publishing author development program. It's important that author's experience bad contracts like this so they know what to look out for in the future. Even if it costs more then the value of the contract it's important that you engage a lawyer and and an accountant to review the contract before you sign.
Oh sure you might think that the 70% that Amazon is offering looks pretty good but remember that's just the lobster and champaign dinner they're giving you before they take you back to their apartment and sign you up for a 3% contract. Amazon will do it out of pure corporate greed too, they won't have you best interest at heart.

I'm hoping to get a job working for the BPH perception management firms. I think with a little polishing around the rough edges I'll be in like Justin Bieber into a pack of 12 year old girls.
Isn't Stonetools the one in charge of anti-Amazon rants on behalf of the publishers?
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 10:21 PM   #37
Andrew H.
Grand Master of Flowers
Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle 3 (aka Keyboard), iPhone, iPad 3 (not for reading)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormchild View Post
How funny you did not seem to understand or agree with that concept when it was being applied to alleged file sharers.
How funny that you now think that authors should be paid for their work.
Andrew H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 04:42 AM   #38
Stormchild
Evangelist
Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook 1. BeBook Mini. BeBook Neo and Club. BeBook Live. BeeBook Pure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew H. View Post
How funny that you now think that authors should be paid for their work.
How dare you. Show me one post where I have ever said they shouldn't or where I have supported piracy.
Stormchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 09:15 AM   #39
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sil_liS View Post
That's the job of the author's lawyer. Any author who signs a contract without having it looked over by a lawyer is acting very unwisely.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 10:27 AM   #40
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Quote:
That's the job of the author's lawyer. Any author who signs a contract without having it looked over by a lawyer is acting very unwisely.
Well, yes. But that doesn't mean they "deserve" whatever the terms of the contract are, or that it's reasonable for companies to write contracts to take advantage of their ignorance.

The idea that aspiring authors should defer a chance to work professionally at their craft until they can afford a lawyer to check the terms of their employment is ridiculous. Would you prefer that we had no books written by authors who can't yet afford a lawyer?

I'm not sure I know any other jobs where the general public often thinks "they should've talked to a lawyer before they agreed to work for that company."
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 10:57 AM   #41
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfwreck View Post
The idea that aspiring authors should defer a chance to work professionally at their craft until they can afford a lawyer to check the terms of their employment is ridiculous. Would you prefer that we had no books written by authors who can't yet afford a lawyer?
Having a lawyer run his eye over your contract is not something which need cost a great deal of money. When I did it for my textbook-writing contract, it cost me about £30 ($50), if memory serves me correctly (and he did suggest a couple of changes to the contact as a result). Putting to one side the image of authors starving in the proverbial garret, don't you think that spending a relatively small amount of money such as that is a sensible precaution, and one which it's worth investing?
Old 07-22-2012, 12:15 PM   #42
Sil_liS
Wizard
Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 903 & 360+
Quote:
Authors were supposed to by protected from publishers by copyright law. A contract that gives the author only 3% shouldn't be legal.
Sil_liS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 12:31 PM   #43
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

I totally agree with you - it shouldn't be. But if it is legal (and I have no idea whether it is or not), it only serves to reinforce the advice to never sign a contract without having it looked at by a lawyer before you do.
Old 07-22-2012, 05:24 PM   #44
MikeOxlittle
Say my name very fast ...
MikeOxlittle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOxlittle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOxlittle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOxlittle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOxlittle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOxlittle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOxlittle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOxlittle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOxlittle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOxlittle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOxlittle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
but there's a concept called "innocent until proven guilty" that may be applicable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormchild View Post
How funny you did not seem to understand or agree with that concept when it was being applied to alleged file sharers.
MikeOxlittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 06:03 PM   #45
Kali Yuga
Professional Contrarian
Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 No Touchie
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
As this lawsuit drags out there will less and less.

Again, the contracts in question apply to a very small slice of Harlequin's business. I don't even know how you would buy an ebook from 2002 -- I certainly didn't see any on their site.

Harlequin is a very powerful brand, and it's going to take a little more than an obscure lawsuit to make a dent in their reputation.
Kali Yuga is offline   Reply With Quote