Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Writer2ePub

Notices

Old 02-23-2011, 07:23 AM   #1
SoonerJim
SoonerJim began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color
Problems with graphics

I am converting a children's book my wife and I wrote from hard copy to ePub. I'm having a lot of trouble with the drawings my wife did. Everything looks OK on Writer, but when I convert the file to ePub there are big gaps, sometimes an entirely blank screen's worth. I searched this site but didn't see any posts that covers it. I'd really appreciate any help.

Have a great day,
Jim
SoonerJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 07:01 AM   #2
Hokuspokus
Fidibus
Hokuspokus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hokuspokus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hokuspokus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hokuspokus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hokuspokus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hokuspokus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hokuspokus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hokuspokus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hokuspokus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hokuspokus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hokuspokus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I'm only a beginner with Writer2ePub. Haven't discovered all tricks and functions yet.
The more complicated a document is the more things seem to go wrong, at least for me.

As work around, you could put a place-holder where you want a picture (something that is not used in the text, like *, +, ~) then open the epub with Sigil and put in the pictures there. I found that much easier than trying to find out what went wrong in Writer2ePub.

When you have many pictures, best enumerate the place-holder *1, *2, *3 and the picture 1.jpg, 2.jpg, 3.jpg. With the search tool of Sigil you can jump right to the next *.

I hope this helps, or someone comes around, who can explain, how to solve the problem with Writer2ePub.
Hokuspokus is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-24-2011, 08:57 AM   #3
SoonerJim
SoonerJim began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color
That is good information. I worked some with Sigil last night but did not see any obvious problems. So, I went back to the graphics and re-sized/re-sampled them all. It cut the size of the Write file by 75%, and the time to create the ePub file by about the same amount. I think it was simply that the size of the graphics/Write file was choking the ePub file and it did the best it could. But the output wasn't that great. So that hurdle is cleared. I still need to tinker with some of the pictures, but I consider this fine tuning compared to what I've been doing. I may be able to have it ready tonight. Then I have to start thinking Mobi then PDF, I guess in that order. Thanks a lot for replying.

Jim
SoonerJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 11:53 AM   #4
eBookLuke
Writer2ePub creator
eBookLuke knows the chase is better than the catch.eBookLuke knows the chase is better than the catch.eBookLuke knows the chase is better than the catch.eBookLuke knows the chase is better than the catch.eBookLuke knows the chase is better than the catch.eBookLuke knows the chase is better than the catch.eBookLuke knows the chase is better than the catch.eBookLuke knows the chase is better than the catch.eBookLuke knows the chase is better than the catch.eBookLuke knows the chase is better than the catch.eBookLuke knows the chase is better than the catch.

Device: Cybook Bebook iLiad Kindle HanlinV2 Readius SonyPRS500 SonyPRS700 etc
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerJim View Post
Everything looks OK on Writer, but when I convert the file to ePub there are big gaps,
Hi Jim,

I improved the image handling. Can you send to me your text to writer2epub[at]gmail[dot]com?

Thanks

Luke
eBookLuke is offline   Reply With Quote