Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 04-19-2011, 05:25 PM   #1
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Fictionwise Cancels F&SF Subscriptions

I've just received a paypal notification of a pro-rata refund from Fictionwise for the balance of my Magazine of Fantasy and Science Fiction subscription.

It seems to be genuine - the money's in my paypal account. But I haven't received any other notification from Fictionwise.

F&SF seem to still be going. I guess I'll have to find another source if I decide to keep on buying the magazine.

Has anyone else got a subscription refund from Fictionwise recently?
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 05:46 PM   #2
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
They quit selling subscriptions to Analog quite a while back, I know. Maybe this is just catching up with the "no more subscriptions" policy.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-19-2011, 05:49 PM   #3
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by susan_cassidy View Post
They quit selling subscriptions to Analog quite a while back, I know. Maybe this is just catching up with the "no more subscriptions" policy.
I hope it's specific to F&SF — I also have current subscriptions at Fictionwise for Analog (15 issues), Asimov's (11 issues) and Interzone (4 issues).
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 09:07 PM   #4
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
I've just received a paypal notification of a pro-rata refund from Fictionwise for the balance of my Magazine of Fantasy and Science Fiction subscription.

It seems to be genuine - the money's in my paypal account. But I haven't received any other notification from Fictionwise.

F&SF seem to still be going. I guess I'll have to find another source if I decide to keep on buying the magazine.

Has anyone else got a subscription refund from Fictionwise recently?
Oh No and I've been thinking of subscribing to a couple of SF mags. Probably F&SF as it is a long-time favorite.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 09:37 PM   #5
lightcap
lightcap began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook Opus,Nexus 7,Nook ST
I got the same notice. My subscription had expired with the last issue, so I have no refund issues. I've looked about and no one else has an ebook version of F&SF that I can find.
lightcap is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-19-2011, 09:58 PM   #6
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

At the bottom of this page are a few options (including fictionwise):

http://www.sfsite.com/fsf/
Old 04-19-2011, 10:43 PM   #7
bgalbrecht
Wizard
bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Clara HD, Kindle 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
I hope it's specific to F&SF — I also have current subscriptions at Fictionwise for Analog (15 issues), Asimov's (11 issues) and Interzone (4 issues).
At this point it's just F&F. From the email announcement:

We want to let you know that the publisher of "The Magazine of Fantasy and Science Fiction" is no longer offering this magazine through Fictionwise.com or eReader.com. We have refunded your account for the remaining issues on your subscription. We're sorry for this inconvenience.

We invite you to browse our magazine selection for other publications in this genre, such as "Analog Science Fiction & Fact."
bgalbrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 01:21 AM   #8
Giggleton
Banned
Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3
It's really not surprising given the options out there. Maybe their overhead was too high? I did read a few of their recent issues and found their editorial selections lacking in that certain something I tend to call "stuff I like"

Giggleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 02:12 AM   #9
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
I wonder if F&SF has discontinued the digital edition?

One can contact the publisher I suppose.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 07:33 AM   #10
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbone View Post
I wonder if F&SF has discontinued the digital edition?

One can contact the publisher I suppose.
That's what it sounds like, but I can't imagine why.

I do feel the publication has gone downhill since KKR stopped editing.
Old 04-20-2011, 08:07 AM   #11
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
That's what it sounds like, but I can't imagine why.

I do feel the publication has gone downhill since KKR stopped editing.
They are moving to Amazon exclusively: http://www.sfsite.com/fsf/blog/forum/topic.php?id=833
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 08:50 AM   #12
kennyc

Thank you for that!

Buty... That it terrible! Why? Why? Why?

Guess it's better then iPad only though.
Old 04-20-2011, 08:57 AM   #13
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Thank you for that!

Buty... That it terrible! Why? Why? Why?

Guess it's better then iPad only though.
As far as I'm concerned, anything-only is terrible. I might be interested in reading one of the mags on my Nook Color, but I'm not gonna buy a Kindle for it.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 09:26 AM   #14
Giggleton
Banned
Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Lyle Jordan View Post
As far as I'm concerned, anything-only is terrible. I might be interested in reading one of the mags on my Nook Color, but I'm not gonna buy a Kindle for it.
I wonder if this Amazon exclusivity also means Amazon will be subsidizing the production of the "magazine". Although it seems to me that this type of venture would do well to function sans copyright, supporting itself through ad revenue, donations with incentives, and various other things. All while freely distributing itself through the network.

Giggleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 09:34 AM   #15
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Must we? Every thread?
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote