Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 01-08-2009, 10:10 PM   #1
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
ereader to mobi

I downloaded some free books from fictionwise, that only came in secure ereader format. I am totally unfamiliar with ereader. Can I convert this to something that will work on my Kindle? If I can get it to pdf form, I can send it to Amazon to convert.

Obviously, these were free books, so it is mostly an intellectual exercise, but I have a kindle, and would like to not be restricted in what I can buy. i am familiar with mobidedrm4, but what is used with secure ereader?

Thanks in advance. Debra
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 10:29 PM   #2
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Use ereader2html.py, also from the Dark Reverser but with a different argument list than mobidedrm. The result will be HTML and images, which can be imported into Windows MobiPocket Reader (or Creator) with the resulting MOBI file in the MobiPocket directory (by default this is My Documents\My eBooks). Or you can make a zip of all the output files and send it to Amazon to convert.

Note that the fact that these ebooks were free does not effect the legality of stripping the DRM.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-08-2009, 10:39 PM   #3
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks! As I indicated, it is mostly an intellectual exercise. I am (obviously!) not a computer whiz. Is there a discussion on this board that you know of where I could see a discussion of ereader conversion?
Old 01-08-2009, 11:26 PM   #4
yargoflick
Enthusiast
yargoflick is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony Reader
You might find the ereader2html won't work with drm-free ereader files.
If you're comfortable with the comand-line and perl you could use the ebook-tools perl module I mentioned in this similar thread:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...059#post323059
yargoflick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 11:35 PM   #5
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney's Mom View Post
Is there a discussion on this board that you know of where I could see a discussion of ereader conversion?
See eReader Decoder Tool or Ereader2Html.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-09-2009, 12:08 AM   #6
Sydney's Mom
Wizard

Thanks. No luck finding ereader2Html online. If someone could PM me, I would be most appreciative.
Old 01-09-2009, 12:28 AM   #7
nrapallo
GuteBook/Mobi2IMP Creator
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: REB1200 EBW1150 Device: T1 NSTG iLiad_v2 NC Device: Asus_TF Next1 WPDN
Quote:
Thanks. No luck finding ereader2Html online. If someone could PM me, I would be most appreciative.
While not THE ereader2html.py script, see a Q&D imitation windows program I called ereader2html (and Perl script) here.
nrapallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 12:47 AM   #8
Sydney's Mom
Wizard

Thank you very much! However, I am a novice. Do I extract the files into the same file as Python26? Or do I need to do something different/
Old 01-09-2009, 01:09 AM   #9
nrapallo
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Thank you very much! However, I am a novice. Do I extract the files into the same file as Python26? Or do I need to do something different/
Just download this attachment, unzip it and copy the ereader2html.exe to the directory where your DRM-free eReader .pdb is located. Open a command prompt window there and type:
Code:
ereader2html.exe ebook.pdb
where ebook.pdb is the name of your eReader ebook. (surround your ebook name with quotes if it contains spaces).

Hopefully it will now work as advertised... But, remember, this is crude and really a proof-of-concept. If you want to use a python script, then just PM me, perhaps I can help you get started.

Last edited by nrapallo; 01-09-2009 at 03:27 PM. Reason: correction
Old 01-09-2009, 01:54 AM   #10
Sydney's Mom
Wizard

Thanks. I am getting a "not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file."

Since I have to get up soon, I better stop. I will try some more this weekend - it took 2 days, but I got mobidedrm to work!
Old 01-09-2009, 08:29 AM   #11
nrapallo

Quote:
Thanks. I am getting a "not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file."
Sorry, that's my mistake, you need to type:
Code:
ereader2html.exe ebook.pdb
The ereader2html.pl Perl script needs Perl installed; I have free ActiveState's Perl installed.
Old 01-09-2009, 03:15 PM   #12
Sydney's Mom
Wizard

Thank you! I will try it out when I get home. I did see Active State Perl last night.

I still need to find something to remove the DRM. I already have these on my kindle, downloaded from the kindle store, but I am interested in shopping for ebooks across platforms. I am comfortable buying secure mobi, but this the the first time I have encountered secure ereader. I guess I need a better hint, which is all I know can be given on this board.

I'm a lawyer, and I sure don't want to get in any trouble. A couple of free books are not worth my license. However, I intend to use the program only within the fair use exception.

Thanks to all, Debra
Old 01-11-2009, 04:51 PM   #13
Sydney's Mom
Wizard

Problem solved. See "Need help with error message"