Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Feedback

Notices

Old 05-22-2008, 07:44 PM   #1
Taylor514ce
Actively passive.
Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505/LC
User Profiles, Albums, Vistor Conversations

Some forums allow spiders/indexes into the User Profiles, other sites don't. What about MobileRead? I would personally prefer it if these parts of the site were blocked from spiders and search bots.
Taylor514ce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 07:50 PM   #2
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Yeah. I was earlier searching for .... um, bulla? I forget the word ... but we had discussed it in reference to montsnmags's dog. Anyway, the 4th item on google's list was the very discussion I had come from.
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-22-2008, 08:11 PM   #3
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
why Taylor, whatever could you possibly have to hide ?
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 10:46 PM   #4
Taylor514ce
Actively passive.
Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Don't let's start that argument. A desire for relative privacy doesn't not imply guilt. I simply don't want the universe "googling" what I consider semi-private conversations, or "members-only" information, if you will.
Old 05-22-2008, 11:29 PM   #5
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylor514ce View Post
Don't let's start that argument. A desire for relative privacy doesn't not imply guilt. I simply don't want the universe "googling" what I consider semi-private conversations, or "members-only" information, if you will.
I'm sorry what now? This is a publically accesable forum with no expectation of privacy. The only expectiation is if you don't use your real name. Of course, if your one of those morons that use the same puesdonym on every form then that will tie to together.

Many people forget how "pubilc" the net really is and get themselves into trouble.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-22-2008, 11:40 PM   #6
Taylor514ce
Actively passive.

I haven't taken the position that I have an expectation of privacy. I'm aware of how forums work... I've written vbulletin plug-ins, and plummed the depths of PHP and MySql... I also see that Albums, for example, can be made public or accesible only to "Contacts and Moderators". I'm not sure what a Contact is vs. a "Friend", though. and don't know if the site excludes Visitor Conversations from search bots, or not.

All I'm doing is asking if User Profiles, Visitor Messages, and Albums are blocked from search engines, or not, and if not, if the MR admins would consider doing so, or making it a user option.

I'm not making demands or waving around misunderstood "rights" or "expectations". So while I appreciate the rightness of your post, I contest its relevance to this thread.

I'm asking a question, and making a suggestion/request.

Last edited by Taylor514ce; 05-22-2008 at 11:43 PM.
Old 05-23-2008, 08:15 AM   #7
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylor514ce View Post
All I'm doing is asking if User Profiles, Visitor Messages, and Albums are blocked from search engines, or not, and if not, if the MR admins would consider doing so, or making it a user option.
Hey Taylor, your remark is well taken, and I can put your mind at ease... they are all blocked from search engines, and always have been. In order to view a user's profile, his visitor message, or his albums, you need to be registered at MobileRead. Guests (which includes search engines) don't have access to these areas (you can try yourself by logging out your user).

In addition, we disallow well-behaving search engines from even attempting to spider these places through robots.txt.

Cheers!
Alex
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 09:01 AM   #8
Taylor514ce
Actively passive.

Thanks, exactly what I wanted to know, and the answer I wanted to hear.