Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-13-2013, 11:50 AM   #601
alexvi
alexvi knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'alexvi knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'alexvi knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'alexvi knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'alexvi knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'alexvi knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'alexvi knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'alexvi knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'alexvi knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'alexvi knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'alexvi knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Kindle NT, Kobo Aura HD :)
Getting mine today! Going to patch it right away with this Kobo Patcher to get use of all of its screen real estate. Anxiously waiting for a FedEx driver to knock on my door, as long as they not gonna toss it around first (second, third, ...)
alexvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 01:05 PM   #602
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Alex; be very careful... Unless the new device uses f/w 2.8.1 (or very unlikely 2.6.1) patcher WILL NOT WORK.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-13-2013, 01:45 PM   #603
alexvi
alexvi knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'alexvi knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'alexvi knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'alexvi knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'alexvi knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'alexvi knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'alexvi knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'alexvi knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'alexvi knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'alexvi knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'alexvi knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Alex; be very careful... Unless the new device uses f/w 2.8.1 (or very unlikely 2.6.1) patcher WILL NOT WORK.
Thanks for a tip, I will do a through research on the-ebook.org before applying it

Here it is:

[Images deleted - MODERATOR]

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 11-12-2013 at 01:10 PM.
Old 09-13-2013, 01:57 PM   #604
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
My apologies! I see this is an Aura HD not the Aura! So as long as it's on 2.6.1 or 2.8.1 the patcher should be fine.

But why not try it without patches first to see how you like it?
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 02:37 PM   #605
alexvi

2.8.1 it is

I am trying it now without patcher

And getting rid of margins is something I want to do asap, since both of my Kindles had a margin hack applied and I like to get as much text on screen as possible
Advert
Old 09-13-2013, 05:13 PM   #606
ectoplasm
Addict
ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura HD and H2O
FYI I applied the patch to my Aura HD within a few hours of getting the device. The latest patch is especially good for fixing the wasted space at the bottom in my opinion.
ectoplasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 06:37 PM   #607
alexvi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ectoplasm View Post
FYI I applied the patch to my Aura HD within a few hours of getting the device. The latest patch is especially good for fixing the wasted space at the bottom in my opinion.
I did the same
Old 09-19-2013, 01:48 AM   #608
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Oasis 2; Aura HD; iPad Air; PRS-350; Galaxy S7.
I applied the patcher but didn't like the effect on the headers and footers of kepub books, so I reverted to stock.

Even if I did replace all of my purchased kepub books with de-DRM'd epubs transferred from my laptop, how would I stop Kobo from downloading official copies to my Aura whenever syncing for other reasons (new firmware, etc.)?
Prestidigitweeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 01:54 AM   #609
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prestidigitweeze View Post
Even if I did replace all of my purchased kepub books with de-DRM'd epubs transferred from my laptop, how would I stop Kobo from downloading official copies to my Aura whenever syncing for other reasons (new firmware, etc.)?
If you delete the kepub book on the device then it won't be downloaded when you sync. If you ever want to download it again you can go to the Kobo website, find the book in your purchased list, and bookmark it.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 04:46 AM   #610
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post
If you delete the kepub book on the device then it won't be downloaded when you sync. If you ever want to download it again you can go to the Kobo website, find the book in your purchased list, and bookmark it.
Does Kobo then restore that deleted downloaded copy of the book to my online account? In other words, do I lose a DRM'd copy of the book by deleting it on my Aura HD?

(This is the first Kobo reader I've ever owned, so forgive me for asking a question to which the answer might seem obvious.)

Last edited by Prestidigitweeze; 09-19-2013 at 04:48 AM.
Old 09-19-2013, 06:44 AM   #611
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Does Kobo then restore that deleted downloaded copy of the book to my online account? In other words, do I lose a DRM'd copy of the book by deleting it on my Aura HD?

(This is the first Kobo reader I've ever owned, so forgive me for asking a question to which the answer might seem obvious.)
No, it simply removes it from the "I'm Reading" list. Books in the "I'm Reading" list will get synced to the device.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 12:26 PM   #612
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
I applied the patcher but didn't like the effect on the headers and footers of kepub books, so I reverted to stock.

If you have the kepubs on your device already you could also archive them and select not showing archived books in your library view. This will remove the files from your device and tell it to not download them until you request it. It would still download anything new you've bought when you sync, but not the previously archived books. This doesn't remove them from your I'm Reading list (IIRC).
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 12:29 AM   #613
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue

Thanks for the clarification, robko and davidfor.
Old 09-23-2013, 05:02 AM   #614
eriksnoopy
Connoisseur
eriksnoopy is a splendid one to beholderiksnoopy is a splendid one to beholderiksnoopy is a splendid one to beholderiksnoopy is a splendid one to beholderiksnoopy is a splendid one to beholderiksnoopy is a splendid one to beholderiksnoopy is a splendid one to beholderiksnoopy is a splendid one to beholderiksnoopy is a splendid one to beholderiksnoopy is a splendid one to beholderiksnoopy is a splendid one to behold

Device: Sony PRS-950 (broken screen) kobo aura hd
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck_in_Japan View Post
Seeing as the front light is a front light and not a back light I'm not sure the inverted mode will do anything for you. The whole point of inverted mode is to reduce the amount of light coming out through the screen. Since zero light comes out through the screen of a front lit reader anyway it probably wouldn't have much effect.
Been reading through this thread, due to the fact that im considering getting a Kobo Aura HD today from my local bookstore in Tallinn, seems they have the espresso, which id prefer. Unfortunately i leaned on the screen of my PRS-950 on the beach of Santorini last week with my elbow now the Aura HD seems the best replacement (it has slightly more dpi then the new Aura, and id have to wait for the new model who knows how long). I really enjoyed my Sony 950, but unfortunately the e ink screen couldnt take my weight, RIP my dear reader, and the T3 seems to be two years behind the latest Kobos..

What I wanted to comment on here is the talk about backlit vs frontlit... Well the point i want to make is from physics, what is a light source..? the sun is a light source, but what about the moon, it does not produce light, yet it reflects the light produced by the sun, doesnt this make it a light source? yes we dont need sunglasses when looking at the moon, but thats besides the point. Looking at the moon is the same as looking at the sun, just not as intensive (from the aspect of Light not radiation etc.)
When you are reading a frontlit kobo, or paperwhite in a dark room, the only light source being your reader's built-in front light the effect is the same as a lcd just not as bright.. light is bouncing from the screen to your eyes (if not then you wouldnt see anything). If you had a second light source then that would light the room and the effect wouldnt be so strong.. And so i believe that the point made by Canuck about the white text on black is correct, because if the text was reflecting light back and not the backround then there would be less light reflected back. Just my thoughts about the Frontlit technology.. will be happy to hear your thoughts on the subject.(if anyone bothered to read this long and boring text of mine)
Bottom line- anything becomes a light source when reflecting light from another source especially in a dark environment.
eriksnoopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 05:31 AM   #615
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by eriksnoopy View Post
When you are reading a frontlit kobo, or paperwhite in a dark room, the only light source being your reader's built-in front light the effect is the same as a lcd just not as bright..
And not as blue, which can be a big issue for some with sleep patterns, depending on the individual and their usage patterns.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote