Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 06-30-2012, 09:31 AM   #1
DebbyS
Zealot
DebbyS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DebbyS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DebbyS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DebbyS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DebbyS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DebbyS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DebbyS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DebbyS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DebbyS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DebbyS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DebbyS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite; Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 (7.0)
Apps to download

I got my Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 (7") thinking that while I don't have easy access to wi-fi, it wasn't strictly necessary and I could probably find apps to download from the internet.

While the apps that came with the Tab are pretty good, I needed a few apps to do things like read epubs. I went searching. Sadly, it seems the best places to find apps are Amazon and the Google Store, which require wi-fi and your device to access their sites to download even free apps (though I got a free version of Aldiko on their home page).

This morning I found this site:

http://www.handango.com

And it offers all kinds of apps for many devicdes, both for free and for purchase, and one can download them to ones computer for sideloading to your device via sc card or maybe usb. I've downloaded two free apps (a game and an audio player). I have not installed them and don' t know if they are 100% okay... but I'm adventurous

As I think the site is legitimate (and helpful!) I thought I'd pass along info about it.
DebbyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 01:26 PM   #2
ghostyjack
Guru
ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, 1825PT, Galaxy Tab, One X, TF700T, Aura HD, Nexus 7
I've not use Handango in years. Not since I have a Ipaq 4150.

Yes they are 100% legit, and have been going for a long time.
ghostyjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-30-2012, 02:54 PM   #3
Jabby
Jr. - Junior Member
Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Archos, Asus, HP, Lenovo, Nexus and Samsung tablets in 7,8 and 10"
Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbyS View Post
I got my Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 (7") thinking that while I don't have easy access to wi-fi, it wasn't strictly necessary and I could probably find apps to download from the internet.
Nice tablet. I like mine a lot. Here is a link to a lot of free Android apps.

http://www.freewarelovers.com/android

It might be worth your while to find a way to get Mantano Reader on your Galaxy Tab. It is the easiest reader to use to sideload Barnes & Noble ebooks and has a lot of nice features.

Regards - John
Jabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 03:11 PM   #4
DebbyS
Zealot
DebbyS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DebbyS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DebbyS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DebbyS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DebbyS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DebbyS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DebbyS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DebbyS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DebbyS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DebbyS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DebbyS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks for the link, Jabby! More karma to you! So far I have only tried Aldiko for reading (but haven't done much reading on the Tab yet), and ezPDF for PDFs (my scanned comics) as Aldiko (the free version) didn't work well in landscape mode but ezPDF does. So Mantano Reader, according to other posts in this subsection, may be good for me as the author says MR is like aldiko+ezPDF. I'll check to see if freewarelovers offers it

Now if I could find an app that would give me tons more time to read...!
Old 07-01-2012, 01:33 PM   #5
Jabby
Jr. - Junior Member
Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Archos, Asus, HP, Lenovo, Nexus and Samsung tablets in 7,8 and 10"
Quote:
Now if I could find an app that would give me tons more time to read...!
That's the app I'm looking for!

Freelovers doesn't have it but you can get the free version here:

http://www.torrapk.com/index.php/en/...r-lite-apk-102

Regards - John
Jabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-01-2012, 03:57 PM   #6
DebbyS
Zealot

Thank you! That Torrapk site looks very interesting and useful. It's always nice to have options!
Old 07-02-2012, 01:32 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Do you not have Internet access at home, Debby? A WiFi access point is very inexpensive.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 06:49 PM   #8
DebbyS
Zealot

I have broadband at home and at work, just not wifi. For various reasons, I don't want what is in effect a mini radio transmitter in my home. (The same reasons I don't have a cell phone.)

I did think about getting something from my ISP that I could turn on only when I needed it, but the modem they wanted to sell me was $100 (including they'd set it up, ready for me to pick up, take home and plug in), and it wasn't something that could be turned off when I didn't need it. Currently I do unplug my broadband modem when I'm not on line; saves electricity, lets my fish sleep at night, and maybe avoids sly cyber invasions. They advised me there's a cheaper way to get a hot spot ($30 devices via Amazon, for example) but set up is difficult.

I decided that it will be cheaper in the long run every now and then to go to a local restaurant and use their wifi and have a good $10 meal (or cheaper dessert) at the same time. ...that is, if I can't find what I need from the websites the URLs of which have so generously been shared here.
Old 07-05-2012, 01:56 AM   #9
Nick Johnson
Nick Johnson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick Johnson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick Johnson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick Johnson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick Johnson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick Johnson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick Johnson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick Johnson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick Johnson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick Johnson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick Johnson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: googgle ads
Handango is a legitimate site,,, m also using it from long time...
Nice place to get apps for my android phone.........
Nick Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 08:35 AM   #10
DebbyS
Zealot

Thanks for the confirmation, Nick!
Old 07-05-2012, 12:09 PM   #11
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
This morning I found this site:

http://www.handango.com
Handango and GetJar have been around a long time even before Apple entered the phone market.

Handango was an app store for Palm, Blackbeeries and Windows apps but later included support for Android apps. I've done business with them years ago and never had any problems with them

Little fun fact: Last year Apple issued a Cease & Desist to GetJar for using the word "appstore"

GetJar fired back with this comment.

Quote:
GetJar won't be subject to this kind of bullying. We're not going to 'Cease & Desist'. We were here long before Steve & Co. We were built by developers, to help developers. Not to help sell handsets or search results. In the words of Twisted Sister: We're not going to take it! Steve Jobs isn't our Dad."
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 12:11 PM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

But were they using the word "appstore" before Apple? And are they, in fact, still using it?
Old 07-05-2012, 12:18 PM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

To answer my own question, a Google search of the site shows that they are using the phrase "App Store", but not the single word "Appstore". So perhaps they did "Cease and Desist" after all .
Old 07-05-2012, 01:04 PM   #14
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
That was an error on my part, the C&D letter was for using the term "App store" not "appstore".

But to answer your question, no they where using "App store" and never stopped using it. I don't know what ever became of the case, if it is still going on or has been suspended.

Here is more of GetJar's rebuttal.

Quote:
GetJar has been using the term “App Store” in press releases and in it’s positioning with consumers, trade, analysts and press since early 2009 and it’s only now that Apple has decided to send us a C&D. That said, GetJar does not use the term in it’s brand/slogan or strapline. (more...)
It seems they started formally using the term "App store" after Apple created their app store.

Funny in my mind I always considered GetJar an app store since they packaged Java "apps".

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote