Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Reading and Management

Notices

Old 07-08-2009, 08:48 PM   #1
onewayherway
Enthusiast
onewayherway began at the beginning.

Device: Sony reader 505
alternative to ereader

is there another program that will read ereader DRM files? ereader keeps crashing so is there an alternative that can be used on a windows xp netbook?

Last edited by onewayherway; 07-08-2009 at 08:51 PM.
onewayherway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 09:21 PM   #2
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
No. It is characteristic of DRM that there is only one reader for the format on a given machine type.

In the case of eReader, it is possible to remove the DRM (eReader Decoder Tool). Calibre can then format shift the resulting HTML to other ebook formats (I suggest 0.6.0 beta if you are new to Calibre, it is almost ready to come out of beta testing and supports more output formats). Other good options for Windows XP Readers include MobiPocket (MOBI), Adobe Digital Editions (ePub), and FBReader (many DRM-free formats).

Stripping DRM from ebooks for personal use is thought by some to be illegal in the US, but no one has ever been sued for doing so.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 04:43 PM   #3
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by onewayherway View Post
is there another program that will read ereader DRM files? ereader keeps crashing so is there an alternative that can be used on a windows xp netbook?
You should contact support on the eReader site. They may be able to fix it, replace the eBook or refund the money.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 07:45 AM   #4
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360°
Ereader Books (even with DRM) can be read with Stanza (iPhone and iPod only, not on desktop).
mtravellerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 08:02 AM   #5
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtravellerh View Post
Ereader Books (even with DRM) can be read with Stanza (iPhone and iPod only, not on desktop).
Which is a counter example to my "one reader" claim. On the iPhone, both eReader and Stanza can read eReader DRM. This is usual, but then Stanza was the first proprietary reader to become popular without DRM.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 08:43 PM   #6
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
Which is a counter example to my "one reader" claim. On the iPhone, both eReader and Stanza can read eReader DRM. This is usual, but then Stanza was the first proprietary reader to become popular without DRM.
Your claim is more true for dedicated ereader devices. Because I can read several DRM formats on my PC. Actually, there is only 2 formats I think I can't read on my PC... Kindles AZW and TOPAZ.

BOb

Last edited by pilotbob; 07-20-2009 at 10:04 AM.
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 01:10 AM   #7
onewayherway
Enthusiast
onewayherway began at the beginning.

Device: Sony reader 505
the crashes have stopped, I reloaded the software maybe that helped. I like the ereader.com book site and will use if I can read their ebooks on a portable device as criterea for which ereader I purchase.
onewayherway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 07:04 PM   #8
bkilian
Zealot
bkilian can name that song in three notesbkilian can name that song in three notesbkilian can name that song in three notesbkilian can name that song in three notesbkilian can name that song in three notesbkilian can name that song in three notesbkilian can name that song in three notesbkilian can name that song in three notesbkilian can name that song in three notesbkilian can name that song in three notesbkilian can name that song in three notes

Device: Sony PRS/505
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
No. It is characteristic of DRM that there is only one reader for the format on a given machine type.

In the case of eReader, it is possible to remove the DRM (eReader Decoder Tool). Calibre can then format shift the resulting HTML to other ebook formats (I suggest 0.6.0 beta if you are new to Calibre, it is almost ready to come out of beta testing and supports more output formats). Other good options for Windows XP Readers include MobiPocket (MOBI), Adobe Digital Editions (ePub), and FBReader (many DRM-free formats).

Stripping DRM from ebooks for personal use is thought by some to be illegal in the US, but no one has ever been sued for doing so.
There is a specific exemption to the DMCA for stripping the DRM off ebooks which do not have any versions that can be used with a screen reader (all of them, pretty much, it's the first thing they disable, since it's easy to use the accessibility APIs to grab the text of the book otherwise)

http://www.copyright.gov/fedreg/2006/71fr68472.html

Quote:
4. Literary works distributed in ebook format when all existing ebook editions of the work (including digital text editions made available by authorized entities) contain access controls that prevent the enabling either of the book’s read–aloud function or of screen readers that render the text into a specialized format.
bkilian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 10:20 AM   #9
dhcalva
Enthusiast
dhcalva began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
The Barnes & Noble software also does eReader, FYI.

Not sure how different it's guts are than the regular version of eReader though.
dhcalva is offline   Reply With Quote