Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 10-19-2011, 08:00 PM   #301
unboggling
Wizard
unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, Kindle Paperwhite 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by travger View Post
1. change extension to .prc
2. use mobiunpack to extract pics and html
3. clean html
4. use Mobi Creator to change cover, add pictures and to make new prc
google search of mobiunpack led to an interesting thread. Seems like a lot of steps though. Wouldn't fixing EPUB in Sigil be easier than all that, then reconvert the EPUB to MOBI?
Old 10-21-2011, 07:52 AM   #302
unboggling
Wizard
unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

-----

Please link to the latest thread & revision:

How I Manage eBooks with calibre

-----

Last edited by unboggling; 09-11-2012 at 01:21 AM. Reason: Link to newer version.
Old 01-04-2013, 02:56 PM   #303
ms_feather
ms_feather began at the beginning.

Device: AGPtek® 7" Android 4.0 Capacitive Touch Screen Tablet PC
Throwing my hands up in the air

I was having issues with the Sony E-reader library (despise it), found Calibre and I was so excited with the possibilities!
Problem:
I can't open ANY of my e-books. Not any bought from Google or the Sony Store. The DRM window keeps popping up. I would rather not purchase a DRM removal program. Matter of principal. I bought the books, I should be able to download them and read them on ANY device using any management program I so choose. (Maybe that's a naive viewpoint considering territorial Kindle and Nook but, that's my story and I'm sticking to it)
Question/Advice:
My PRST Sony Reader's screen was damaged and I am not going to replace it due to above mentioned loathing for the library (and some other issues).
I have purchased an off-brand android tablet, in the hopes that some aps will work with it and I could access ALL of my books from all places purchased and downloaded from. Will Calibre work with an android device?

In the spirit of KISS:
How do I get past the DRM in Calibre with my Google and E-reader format books?

Thank you!
Old 01-04-2013, 03:23 PM   #304
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Discussion of DRM removal is against MobileRead forum rules. Google for "Apprentice Alf" to find somewhere that might be of help.
Old 04-10-2013, 06:14 PM   #305
pholler
pholler doesn't litterpholler doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 3 keyboard
Just downloaded calibre last evening...

so I can't get much newer than that.

I want to keep things simple, which is what caught my eye on this thread. But I find the discussion way above my current level of understanding.

I have a Kindle 3 (keyboard) and want to work with about 2000 books that I have on it.

Have explored the caliber online help, but wondering whether some kind person here could direct me to the simplest set of instructions as to how to get started. (No point in trying to reinvent the wheel on my own, if simple instructions exist somewhere.)

I transferred 9 ebooks to caliber that I had on my PC, and experimented with metadata last evening. Figured out how to get the metadata & cover, but one thing has me stumped: how to edit the year the book was published in metadata. A current month's calendar pops up, and I figured out to click on the year and then it allows me to enter the correct year of publication--but it always inserts a month, when I have no idea which month the book was published. (Note: these are old books, some from the 1800s, histories, etc. So there are no ISBN numbers.)

Thank you very much.
Old 04-10-2013, 07:32 PM   #306
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by pholler View Post
... but one thing has me stumped: how to edit the year the book was published in metadata. A current month's calendar pops up, and I figured out to click on the year and then it allows me to enter the correct year of publication--but it always inserts a month, when I have no idea which month the book was published. (Note: these are old books, some from the 1800s, histories, etc. So there are no ISBN numbers.)
Go to Preferences - Tweaks and in the lefthand column highlight the tweak named Control how dates are displayed. In the bottom right box you'll see something like this:
Code:
# Control how dates are displayed

gui_pubdate_display_format = 'yyyy'

gui_timestamp_display_format = 'dd-MMM-yy'

gui_last_modified_display_format = 'dd-MMM-yy'
The first of the 3 is the one you need to change the format of published date.

The box above this contains the help notes for setting date formats.

Hope this helps.
Old 04-11-2013, 10:05 AM   #307
loximuthal
Connoisseur
loximuthal has not lost his or her sense of wonder.loximuthal has not lost his or her sense of wonder.loximuthal has not lost his or her sense of wonder.loximuthal has not lost his or her sense of wonder.loximuthal has not lost his or her sense of wonder.loximuthal has not lost his or her sense of wonder.loximuthal has not lost his or her sense of wonder.loximuthal has not lost his or her sense of wonder.loximuthal has not lost his or her sense of wonder.loximuthal has not lost his or her sense of wonder.loximuthal has not lost his or her sense of wonder.

Device: NST, Kindle Fire, iPad2
Quote:
Originally Posted by pholler View Post
A current month's calendar pops up, and I figured out to click on the year and then it allows me to enter the correct year of publication--but it always inserts a month, when I have no idea which month the book was published. (Note: these are old books, some from the 1800s, histories, etc. So there are no ISBN numbers.)
FWIW on these books in my library I always put January 1 if I don't know the day and month. For books that I do know the month but not the day I always pick the 1st. It keeps the database happy, and I don't really need to know exactly when a book was published.
Old 04-11-2013, 11:06 AM   #308
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by loximuthal View Post
FWIW on these books in my library I always put January 1 if I don't know the day and month. For books that I do know the month but not the day I always pick the 1st. It keeps the database happy, and I don't really need to know exactly when a book was published.
If you use the tweak mentioned to only display the year then it is very easy to edit. The year is normally all I am interested in.
Old 04-11-2013, 12:52 PM   #309
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by itimpi View Post
If you use the tweak mentioned to only display the year then it is very easy to edit. The year is normally all I am interested in.
Using the Calendar, it insists that you select/touch all 3 regardless of the format shown and will not accept the current other selections. (in other words, you can not just change the Month or Year
Old 04-11-2013, 02:22 PM   #310
itimpi
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Using the Calendar, it insists that you select/touch all 3 regardless of the format shown and will not accept the current other selections. (in other words, you can not just change the Month or Year
If you use the tweak to display only the year then you can just type in the year - no need to bother using the calendar.
Old 04-11-2013, 02:33 PM   #311
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
I use MM/YYYY format . To edit directly, you have to remember that you must highlight-edit MM separate from the YYYY part . You can not, type what you see
Old 04-12-2013, 12:31 PM   #312
pholler
pholler doesn't litterpholler doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 3 keyboard
Wow, thank you all for the helpful information! I really appreciate it, and will try it later today when I have time.

This is such a complex program that I'm not sure at this point whether it's worth all the time it will take just to learn how to use it and get the most from its features, but you all sound like you like it and that it works well for your needs.

Thank you for taking the time to help me.
Old 05-14-2013, 10:55 PM   #313
Froide
Wizard
Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy and Windows devices. RIP: Palm & Nook devices.
Goodreads AND Calibre

Quote:
Originally Posted by unboggling View Post
I use calibre to keep track of my paper books too. All of my paper copies either have their own "placeholder" format, or are associated with an eBook format when I have that too. I just tag those records where I have the paper copy with "pb" in either case.
I use Goodreads to catalogue all of my books (DTBs, eBooks, and audiobooks) and Calibre to catalogue reading material and audiobooks I consume on my NOOK or cellphone or otherwise want to catalogue (including non-books, such as articles, case studies, contracts, manuals, PowerPoint presentations, short stories, and syllabi).
Old 05-16-2013, 07:59 AM   #314
unboggling
Wizard

This thread is old.

Please refer to the follow-up thread here:

How I Manage eBooks with calibre
Closed Thread