Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-22-2008, 09:57 PM   #1
Gideon
Wearer of Pants
Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Amazon Kindle DX / iPhone
eBook Library Software

Wow...

I mean, I know I've heard people talk about it but I finally got my 505 (it's AMAZING) and was shocked to find just how terrible this piece of software. It looks (and behaves) like someone's 1st year comp-sci java project.

The software is unstable, the ebook store times out/messes up/etc a lot. The ability to search, view and look around the store is slow and has all the design finesse of a 90's e-retailer.

How the hell does this happen with a company as big as Sony? Our friend here who did the lbrprs500 created a much more robust, useful piece of software and he had to reverse engineer things!

Also, the lack of larger platform support, especially in the light of the poor capacities of the app are absolutely pathetic.

The only thing I'm regretting about getting the 505 instead of the kindle is the lack of a search function and the lack of magazines. Has there been any talk of any magazines coming over? I'd love to get the Atlantic, but so far all I've found are some sci-fi mags.

Thanks!
Gideon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 05:19 AM   #2
alexxxm
Addict
alexxxm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.alexxxm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.alexxxm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.alexxxm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Rocket; Hiebook; N700; Sony 505; Kindle DX ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gideon View Post
The only thing I'm regretting about getting the 505 instead of the kindle is the lack of a search function and the lack of magazines. Has there been any talk of any magazines coming over? I'd love to get the Atlantic, but so far all I've found are some sci-fi mags.
me too, I just read on Teleread about the free access to the Atlantic, and I'd like to access it via 505.
Concerning the magazines, from libprs500 you alread ahave some of them, mostly english/german: I usually download the NYTimes,Newsweek,...

I'd like to add to it the applet to download the Atlantic, hope I'll have the time...

Alessandro
alexxxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-23-2008, 11:53 AM   #3
Gideon
Wearer of Pants
Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.

Yeah, the ability to download via lbprs500 is amazing. I love putting the Times on it!

Unfortunately, the Atlantic doesn't have much of their content in RSS form. I tried one of the website converters and ended up with a lot of crazy, unfortunately.
Old 01-27-2008, 04:04 AM   #4
Red Alert
Zealot
Red Alert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Alert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Alert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Alert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Alert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Alert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Alert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Alert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Alert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Alert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Alert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NookColor & Nook Tablet. Sony PRS-505 loaned to brother.
Gideon, you are so correct about the balky Connect interface. I'm pretty sure some of my first routines in BASIC, centuries ago, ran smoother.

Red
Red Alert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 08:49 AM   #5
Gideon
Wearer of Pants

If I could ask Sony one thing and get a straight answer, it'd definately be along the lines of "What the hell were you thinking?!?!"

I don't know if you're very familiar with macs.... but there are like a billion pieces of software that look/work very similarly to iTunes - which would have been great (at least relative to what we have). And these are done by small, independent companies - and often one individual.

It's just so shocking that they'd design such a great device and let the ball drop on something so important.
Advert
Old 01-27-2008, 09:37 AM   #6
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Yep, it is pretty bad. My initial guess was that they had used some intern to write the software as a demo and some manager figured that the software was good enough. I don't know how accurate that is, but I wouldn't be terribly surprised if it's pretty close to what happened.

What's funny is since you can access the 505 as a disk device, if they would just add the ability to buy books to the website (which is actually pretty decent), then a lot of people would just use that and be quite happy with it.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 09:38 AM   #7
Gideon
Wearer of Pants

Yeah, I couldn't agree more..

And it's be cross-platform compatible.