Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 06-24-2010, 11:01 PM   #1
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
Use of the term ebuchleser outside of MobileRead

Due to some fascinating discussions on the use of the term "liseuse" outside of MobileRead, I wanted to test the waters.

According to babelfish, the German for the English language term "Electronic Book Reader" is "ELEKTRONISCHER BUCH-LESER"

I like it! But it does not exactly roll off the tongue, so I propose the new term "ebuchleser".

Anybody seen this term outside of MobileRead... right now... when I invented it?

Now, I don't want to cause a lot of acrimony, so when you think about this question, just keep in mind that I hate kittens and chocolate. And that I raise the US flag every morning, and salute it, just before I set it on fire.

Discuss.
Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 11:09 PM   #2
happy_terd
Banned
happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS 420
I still dont know what the hell a liseuse is?

It sounds French Canadian or something.
happy_terd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 11:14 PM   #3
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

<sigh> focus on the topic, scalawag!
Old 06-24-2010, 11:22 PM   #4
happy_terd
Banned
happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS 420
Does scalawag mean "sexy bitch?"
happy_terd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 11:47 PM   #5
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...

Only in the original Yiddish.
Old 06-24-2010, 11:56 PM   #6
Iphinome
Paladin of Eris
Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 10
I um.. *blink* I'm afraid I can't use that word till you reach me to pronounce it.

eya bush leisure?
Iphinome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 12:09 AM   #7
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
According to my Texas/German pronunciation handbook, I think it's pronounced You Bite Laughter.

Of Course, with my Texas accent....
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 12:15 AM   #8
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Sir Edward View Post
Of Course, with my Texas accent....
...we all assume you're "packing heat"(*) and can therefore pronounce it any damn way you want to.

Cheers,
Marc
(* I get all my cultural knowledge of America from imported drama and soap opera)
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 12:20 AM   #9
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iphinome View Post
I um.. *blink* I'm afraid I can't use that word till you reach me to pronounce it.

eya bush leisure?
I have no idea how a native German speaker would pronounce it, but since I invented it, I proclaim that this is how it should appear in the Webster dictionary:

Main Entry: e·boosh·less·er
Variant(s): or eeeee·boooo·les·er \e-bush-the-lesser\
Function: noun
Etymology: Donnistan
Date: circa 2010

1 : reading device, device on which ebooks are read
2 : gibbersih spouted by a trouble making loser
3: a liseuse
Old 06-25-2010, 12:29 AM   #10
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnageddon View Post
I have no idea how a native German speaker would pronounce it, but since I invented it, I proclaim that this is how it should appear in the Webster dictionary:

Main Entry: e·boosh·less·er
Variant(s): or eeeee·boooo·les·er \e-bush-the-lesser\
Function: noun
Etymology: Donnistan
Date: circa 2010

1 : reading device, device on which ebooks are read
2 : gibbersih spouted by a trouble making loser
3: a liseuse

Let's show some continental solidarity - ebuchliseuse..

pronounced e-bush-lizards...
Old 06-25-2010, 12:31 AM   #11
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by montsnmags View Post
...we all assume you're "packing heat"(*) and can therefore pronounce it any damn way you want to.

Cheers,
Marc
(* I get all my cultural knowledge of America from imported drama and soap opera)
Not true, Marc. Everybody else is packin' too. So unless you feel really fast, you stay polite...

But it's not true that Texans hitch their pickups to the hitchin' post....
Old 06-25-2010, 12:41 AM   #12
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Sir Edward View Post
Let's show some continental solidarity - ebuchliseuse..

pronounced e-bush-lizards...
I really like it!

But it should be pronounced "ee-boosh-lay-zeus"

Now that rolls off the tongue, and leaves a trail of happiness and tickles!
Old 06-25-2010, 12:45 AM   #13
Poppa1956
Evangelist
Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Verizon Ellipsis Tablit w/Kindle and Nook apps.
Please remember the human tendency to shorten words, and our tendency to Anglicize non-English sounding words. (Nationalsozialismus becomes "Nazism," Volkswagen becomes "vee-dub," etc.)
Shortly, "ebuchleser" will be "ebook." I simply propose we stay ahead of the curve, and call then "ebooks" now. We can use the same word for the little files containing data they interpret for us to read, and know which is which based on context.
Poppa1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 12:56 AM   #14
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppa1956 View Post
Please remember the human tendency to shorten words, and our tendency to Anglicize non-English sounding words. (Nationalsozialismus becomes "Nazism," Volkswagen becomes "vee-dub," etc.)
Shortly, "ebuchleser" will be "ebook." I simply propose we stay ahead of the curve, and call then "ebooks" now. We can use the same word for the little files containing data they interpret for us to read, and know which is which based on context.

I think ir will be shortened to yew-bush
Old 06-25-2010, 12:58 AM   #15
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnageddon View Post
I really like it!

But it should be pronounced "ee-boosh-lay-zeus"

Now that rolls off the tongue, and leaves a trail of happiness and tickles!

Where's the fun in that?

I prefer ee-bush-a-loo myself, Makes you want to get up and dance, no?

Last edited by Greg Anos; 06-25-2010 at 01:01 AM.