Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 03-24-2015, 10:08 PM   #21991
Dhevi
Zealot
Dhevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dhevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dhevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dhevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dhevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dhevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dhevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dhevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dhevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dhevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dhevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 4, Galaxy S3, Nexus 7.2
Returning back to a favorite author, Timothy Zahn, reading Star Wars: Scoundrels.
Dhevi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 09:10 AM   #21992
Hampshire Nanny
Guru
Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3 KB, iPad2
Just finished reading Sizzle by Julie Garwood. Pretty good action/adventure with romance on the side. Problem with most of the books in this genre is that couples fall into permanent love (and each other's beds) within a couple of days of meeting.

Now reading a paranormal fantasy, Marked by Sarah Fine. So far, it's pretty interesting -- set in a Boston severely damaged by environmental collapse, Cacy is a paramedic and also ferries the dead to their eternal destination. I'm just over 10% into the book and it looks like a romance is blooming. We'll see how this pans out.
Hampshire Nanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-25-2015, 09:21 AM   #21993
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Yes, next up: Destination Unknown, her 55th book which seems to be a cold-war spy drama.
I'm still reading the Agatha Christie, but I've also read: The Time Trap by Henry Kuttner. Not what I was expecting at all - a rather dull pulp-era super science/time travel/adventure story with no real exploration of the themes. The sort of thing that would fit in a "Thrilling Wonder Stories" magazine. Disappointing. I was expecting better.

(Now I can check my database, I find it was a freebie I got in August 2014. And quite well regarded, nominated for the 1939 Retro-Hugo for Best Novella, and being called "A Neglected Masterpiece" by Ray Bradbury. I can't agree.)

Last edited by pdurrant; 03-25-2015 at 05:55 PM.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 11:04 AM   #21994
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I should post here more often when I read something that entertains me, so here's a catchup for this year of the best:

February by Lisa Moore
Oryx and Crake by Margaret Atwood
Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World by Haruki Murakami
The Demolished Man by Alfred Bester
The Orphan's Tales: In the Cities of Coin and Spice by Catherynne M. Valente
The Big Over Easy by Jasper Fforde
Indian Horse by Richard Wagamese
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 12:45 PM   #21995
Dhevi
Zealot
Dhevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dhevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dhevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dhevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dhevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dhevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dhevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dhevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dhevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dhevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dhevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 4, Galaxy S3, Nexus 7.2
Oryx and Crake: on my to be read list. I'll get there, eventually.
Dhevi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-25-2015, 07:01 PM   #21996
49Kat
Fanatic
49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 9th Gen, iPhone 11, Paperwhite 10th Gen.
I purchased Oryx and Crake, then forgot about it for over a year. When I did finally read it, I was surprised by how much I enjoyed it. It is followed by Year if the Flood, and MaddAddam, which I also enjoyed.
49Kat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 06:12 AM   #21997
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Yes, next up: Destination Unknown, her 55th book which seems to be a cold-war spy drama.
A rather enjoyable mystery, with a satisfactory resolution.

Next up: MindWar by Darrel Bain. Another old Fictionwise purchase.

Last edited by pdurrant; 03-27-2015 at 06:51 AM.
Old 03-26-2015, 09:03 AM   #21998
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The most recent books read on my holiday:

1. "Soldiers" by John Dalmas. An excellent military SF novel about how a pacifist human civilisation in the 30th century reacts to an alien invasion whose sole aim is the complete extinction of the human race. Really, really good. I thoroughly recommend this; it's the best book I've read in a long time.

2. "The Rubber Band" by Rex Stout. The 3rd Nero Wolfe novel. Wolfe takes on the case of a group of people trying to retrieve money promised to them many years ago from a man whose life they saved. Very enjoyable, as are all the Nero Wolfe books.

3. "Sidhe-Devil" by Aaron Alston. Very good fantasy. A down-and-out kick-boxer is accidentally transported to the "fair world" where he helps defeat a master criminal who is intent of wreaking destruction both in that world and ours. Very good.

4. "Crocodile on the Sandbank" by Elizabeth Peters. The first book in the "Amelia Peabody" series and a re-read of an old favourite. A book I had to read when I was in Egypt, since that is where it's set. Very good.

5. "Doc Sidhe" by Aaron Allston. A direct sequel to "Sidhe Devil" and a very enjoyable fantasy.

A very good run of books. All good, and all recommended (but "Soldiers" in particular is superb).
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 11:07 AM   #21999
PurpleStar
Wizard
PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Clara 2E
I finished Catching Fire and now just started Mockingjay. Love love love the books (and the movies too). Didn't think I'd ever get so excited over a YA series, but there it is. I can not seem to bother with reading anything else until I finish this trilogy.
PurpleStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 11:56 AM   #22000
Dngrsone
Almost legible
Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 9, Galaxy Tab A (2017), Likebook P78
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post

3. "Sidhe-Devil" by Aaron Alston. Very good fantasy. A down-and-out kick-boxer is accidentally transported to the "fair world" where he helps defeat a master criminal who is intent of wreaking destruction both in that world and ours. Very good.
I'm liking this book just for the wordplay in the title...

(in Gaelic, Sidhe is pronounced she)
Dngrsone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 11:57 AM   #22001
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dngrsone View Post
I'm liking this book just for the wordplay in the title...

(in Gaelic, Sidhe is pronounced she)
Yes, I'm well aware of that .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 12:14 PM   #22002
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by 49Kat View Post
I purchased Oryx and Crake, then forgot about it for over a year. When I did finally read it, I was surprised by how much I enjoyed it. It is followed by Year if the Flood, and MaddAddam, which I also enjoyed.
I finished all three this year as well. I liked the first the best, but they were all good.

Just finished Forever Odd by Dean Koontz. An enjoyable fluffy read. Now I am totally absorbed into The Road by Cormac McCarthy.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 07:09 PM   #22003
Hampshire Nanny
Guru
Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3 KB, iPad2
Almost finished reading Marked by Sarah Fine. Yep, a bit of romance, but it hasn't spoiled the story. It's held up very well and I'm looking forward to the sequel. However, next up is The Organist Wore Pumps, the 8th book in Mark Schweizer's "Liturgical Mysteries". These are so rollicking funny. The first in the series is The Alto Wore Tweed, and it's only $0.99.
Quote:
St. Germaine, North Carolina might be the most eccentric little town in the Appalachian Mountains at least that's what Hayden Konig, the Chief of Police thinks. As a detective, he's first rate. As the organist at St. Barnabas Church, he's one of the best ivory jockeys in the county. He's fabulously rich, has a beautiful wife, a cabin in the woods, a dog, a gun, and a pick-up truck. What more could any red-blooded American male want? That's easy! What he wants is to be a hard-boiled, noir, crime writer. Undeterred by what his audience calls a "conspicuous lack of talent," Hayden Konig has purchased Raymond Chandler's typewriter in a desperate bid to channel some of the master's wordcraft. It doesn't help.
Hampshire Nanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 01:10 AM   #22004
Rev. Bob
Wizard
Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, iPad mini 3, Kindle Touch
I'm finally about to finish HELP FUND MY ROBOT ARMY!!! - an anthology of short stories told entirely as crowdfunding campaign pages. It's taken me a while, but that's because I've been busy with other things; when I actually have a chance to read, the book's been delightful. The two back-to-back vampire stories, for instance...

After that, I'll probably hop into Seanan McGuire's fourth InCryptid novel, and I'll probably jump from there over to the next two novellas and second novel in the Dorothy Must Die series. Given my present glacial pace, that may take me through April. :/
Rev. Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 06:54 AM   #22005
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
Next up: MindWar by Darrel Bain. Another old Fictionwise purchase.
Which was OKish, apart from the difficulty of suspending disbelief in the main MacGuffin.

Next up: Wool Omnibus by Hugh Howey