Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 11-20-2012, 09:02 AM   #181
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by potplanty View Post
Hey guys. Got a bit of a problem. I've installed the 1.75 jailbreak on my Paperwhite and I tried installing the 0.5 screensaver hack but when I install the screensaver hack it comes up with update failed error code 3
Any ideas?
Update error 003 means you restarted your kindle instead of using the Update Your Kindle menu item. Start over, but use UYK next time, instead of restarting. You should read the README that came with your hack.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 12:04 PM   #182
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Released ScreenSavers 0.6.N!

With a few tweaks to the ImageMagick processing settings*, meaning we get prettier covers .

(If you want to invalidate your current cover cache, delete all the cover_*.png files in the linkss/cover_cache folder before applying this update ).

[*]: Always use the Lanczos filter when resizing (I read the doc wrong, I thought the default were Lanczos when upscaling, Mitchell when downscaling [because it made sense to me, Lanczos generates sharper images than Mitchell], but it's the other way around. Since Mitchell is blurrier than Lanczos, we were getting slightly blurry images when upscaling).
And since Lanczos is sharper, it has a tendency to make JPEG artifacts stand out, so I caved, and added a dithering step (FloydSteinberg, 16 colors), which actually helps in more cases than that (every time, really ), and we end up with smaller filesizes, so, win-win .
The only downside is a longer processing time, but since we're already eating ~10s of CPU time, what's 5s more? .

Last edited by NiLuJe; 11-20-2012 at 12:12 PM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 04:30 PM   #183
27thPW
27thPW began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2i, Kindle Touch
Is there any way to have a custom last image?
27thPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 04:45 PM   #184
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@27thPW: Yup. Use the "last" mode, and tweak the appropriate cover_cache/overlay*.png file for your device, then restart. (PNG8 [+8 (alpha)] only). Just remember to back up your tweaked version, it won't survive an update.
Old 11-21-2012, 05:07 PM   #185
27thPW
27thPW began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2i, Kindle Touch
@NiLuJe

Awesome! Thanks.
27thPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 12:18 AM   #186
johnleo
Enthusiast
johnleo knows what time it isjohnleo knows what time it isjohnleo knows what time it isjohnleo knows what time it isjohnleo knows what time it isjohnleo knows what time it isjohnleo knows what time it isjohnleo knows what time it isjohnleo knows what time it isjohnleo knows what time it isjohnleo knows what time it is

Device: Kindle Touch
Hi, NiLuJe.
I have been wondering what are the differences between boot and autoreboot, which are used in the random and shuffle mode. And could you please explain how to do a framework restart, and what are the differences between framework restart and restart from menu. I am quite new to Kindle hack. Thanks in advance.
johnleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 09:52 AM   #187
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@johnleo:

boot: The kindle full boot process (what happens when you use 'Restart' in the Settings menu or do a hard reboot).
autoreboot: A framework restart (basically, only restarts the Kindle GUI to save time).

random is triggered at boot, while shuffle is triggered by autoreboot .
Old 11-24-2012, 01:12 AM   #188
johnleo
Enthusiast
johnleo knows what time it isjohnleo knows what time it isjohnleo knows what time it isjohnleo knows what time it isjohnleo knows what time it isjohnleo knows what time it isjohnleo knows what time it isjohnleo knows what time it isjohnleo knows what time it isjohnleo knows what time it isjohnleo knows what time it is

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
@johnleo:

boot: The kindle full boot process (what happens when you use 'Restart' in the Settings menu or do a hard reboot).
autoreboot: A framework restart (basically, only restarts the Kindle GUI to save time).

random is triggered at boot, while shuffle is triggered by autoreboot .
Then in what condition will Kindle be triggered to do a frame reboot?
If I press the power button to wake it up after having put kindle to sleep mode, this is an autoreboot, right?
If I would like to see screensaver change more frequently what I need is the autoreboot mode, right?

Last edited by johnleo; 11-24-2012 at 07:03 AM.
johnleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 09:47 AM   #189
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnleo View Post
If I press the power button to wake it up after having put kindle to sleep mode, this is an autoreboot, right?
Wrong.
A "normal wakeup" (not holding the power button) is a "resume".
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 01:01 PM   #190
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@johnleo: What knc1 said .

The autoreboot feature (helps) trigger a framework restart on USB unplug. That's the best we can do (without implementing a custom blanket module, like Yifan did for 5.0).
Old 11-25-2012, 05:54 AM   #191
__Claire__
__Claire__ began at the beginning.

Device: PocketBook Era
Problem with new Watersones screensaver

Hi !

This is my first post, but I've been lurking on MR forums for quite a while. First of all, I want to thank every one who made kindle jailbreak possible, and NiLuJe for the screensavers hack.

I've just run into a problem : two weeks ago I bought a Paperwhite at Waterstone's in London (I didn't want to wait until december for my amazon.fr Paperwhite to arrive !). I had previously read about the new update and jailbreak problems here, so I was careful not to connect to wifi at first, I installed the 1.7 jailbreak, the bridge, then updated to 5.3.0, and installed the screensaver hack, as I want my ereader to have the last-read book cover as screensaver. I stayed mostly in airplane mode, and was happy with my jailbroken kindle for 2 weeks.

I had also read in the general kindle forum about the special Waterstones screensaver that started to appear after the 5.3.0 update. But I thought that the jailbreak, screensaver hack and registering my kindle to my amazon.fr account would keep me safe from that.

Yesterday I switched on the WiFi to check books on the amazon store on my kindle. When I put it back to sleep, my book cover was gone and there was the Waterstones screensaver !

Since then I've tried reinstalling python, the screensaver hack, restarting, etc... no dice. I'm stuck with the Waterstones screensaver. I had a quick look at the kindle, but couldn't find where it was kept. All screensaver hack files seem OK, and the version is still 5.3.0

Any idea what might be going on ? I haven't seen this reported before, so I understand you might not have an answer, but at least it may act as a caveat to UK buyers out there, or point to whatever amazon is using to override the hack and/or jailbreak, possibly helping to develop a new 5.3.0 jailbreak (wishful thinking most probably, I know...)? I don't even mind the Waterstones screensaver so much, I found the stock kindle ones horribly ugly but this one is OK, but it's the principle of the thing...

This is another fact that convinces me to use my Kobo Glo as my main reader, as it does everything I want out of the box or with a minimum of tweaking without any real jailbreak; the Paperwhite lighting is very nice when it is even, but with the black cones, the color blotches (faint but there) and now this, I've almost decided to ditch it...

(NB : before anyone asks, I'm not looking for a way to get rid of special offers without paying; there are no SO kindle in Europe to my knowledge, I paid the full price at Waterstones, and nowhere did they advertised the kindle would come with their own special screensaver...)
__Claire__ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 09:23 AM   #192
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Just because you purchased the device, you think you own it?
What a novel idea.

It appears that Amazon feels that the owner should not be allowed to mess with their automated, remote, market research and sales tool's firmware.
I.E: The device is yours, the behavior still belongs to Amazon.

If you have been following this MR forum, you already know that more than a few of us are ticked off by that attitude.
("ticked off" - en_American Slang ; I don't know what the French would say.)
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 11:36 AM   #193
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@Claire: Unfortunately, it looks more and more like the Waterstones devices are making use of the new screensavers module implemented in 5.3.0... It might be possible to workaround, but I only have a US device on hand, not ideal to debug this ;-).

Last edited by NiLuJe; 11-25-2012 at 11:40 AM.
Old 11-25-2012, 01:25 PM   #194
__Claire__
__Claire__ began at the beginning.

Device: PocketBook Era
@knc1 Oops, you're right... Silly me !
"Ticked off"... Hmm. I get it. No idea how I would translate it, though, at least colloquially. "méchamment enervés", perhaps ?

@NiLuJe I was afraid you'd say that.... I have a sleepcover ordered from Amazon which should arrive this week, so it will take care of the screensaver problem (at least I hope it won't behave as SO Kindle, and I won't have to swipe)

Just for the record, Kobo Glo's sold in France in Fnac stores have kind of the same problem, with an ugly Fnac screensaver and no option to use bookcovers as should be possible in normal Kobo software. Disabling it and reverting to basic software usage took about 2 minutes searching the Internet and one minute disabling the Fnac screensaver, including connecting the Kobo to my computer...
__Claire__ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 01:35 PM   #195
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@__Claire__: Yeah, I'm aware of the Kobo's affiliate config .

I took a quick look at it, I have a few ideas, and a few things to check, so, if you're game, I can send you some stuff over PM to try to see how it's handled on your device...

Tags
kindle touch hacks, paperwhite, python, screensavers, touch